lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Muslim anger at Mohammed Cartoon & Freedom of speech
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #121
txa1265
Father Jedi

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Don't see "taking blasphemy seriously" as part of that definition...
That's why you should just make one up like I did and copy the format from M-W.com to make it look official ... isn't that what propoganda is all about?

Dopelar effect (n.) The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
txa1265 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2006, 02:46 PM   #122
ShadowTemplar
Heathen

Quote:
Don't see "taking blasphemy seriously" as part of that definition...
Someone who takes blasphemy seriously is, by scandinavian standards at least, a radical and revolutionary zealot.

That blasphemy is a serious matter is a radical and alien concept in Scandinavia.
People who call for blasphemy to be condemned - whether legally or politically - are calling for nothing less than a revolution in the policial climate in Scandinavia.
People who ferment revolutions over religious reasons were called zealots last time I checked.

And by any reasonable definition, a radical, revolutionary zealot is an extremist.

ShadowTemplar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2006, 04:56 PM   #123
Nancy Allen``
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTemplar
Uh-huh. One need not murder people directly to be an extremist.
Of course not. You look at people such as the Klu Klux Klan. Even if they do not murder black people their view of white supremacy is extremist. Kind of like the idea that Aboriginals are meant to be treated superior, but that's getting away from the point. Just because someone takes blasphemy seriously doesn't mean they're an extremist. People can get offended and angry at things such as 'goddamn', 'Jesus Christ', human cloning and attempts to play God, or sacriligious and blasphemous imagery (the cop crucified like Jesus in Silence of the Lambs, or cross shaped doorways where anyone walking through them would be crucified spring to mind). That does not make them extremists. Not many of them would fly off the handle the way extremists do. In fact, people who take blasphemy seriously would make up a sizeable chunk of the human race, where as the extremists of the lot would make up less than 1 percent.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #124
rccar328
Forumite

I agree totally - taking blasphemy seriously is a part of any religion. The things that make up extremists are ideology & actions. I, along with many other Christians, was offended when that moron calling himself an artist decided that it'd be a great artistic display to immerse a cricifix in his urine, and when the other 'artist' thought it'd be neat to splatter a picture of the Virgin Mary with feces, and when Kanye West thought it'd be cool to pose as Christ on the cover of Rolling Stone...but you didn't see Christians the world over rioting in the streets, burning buildings and killing people in response to these insults.

Taking one's faith seriously doesn't make someone an extremist.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
~John F. Kennedy

True Conservatism

rccar328 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #125
Nancy Allen``
Banned

Oh God, that what? I thought the Beetles saying they were bigger than Jesus was bad. But you are right in what you say, as much of a serve as this may be to Muslims, could you tell me the last time a devout Christian, Jew or Buddist blew up a bus or a building with a bomb that was strapped to their body?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:37 PM   #126
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
But you are right in what you say, as much of a serve as this may be to Muslims, could you tell me the last time a devout Christian, Jew or Buddist blew up a bus or a building with a bomb that was strapped to their body?
Well, there's been plenty of christians who bomb abortion clinics and gay bars... but not typically in suicide attacks.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #127
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
could you tell me the last time a devout Christian, Jew blew up a bus or a building with a bomb that was strapped to their body?
About 2 days ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccar328
when Kanye West thought it'd be cool to pose as Christ on the cover of Rolling Stone
So he can't do it, but Jim Caveziel can? How interesting...

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #128
Nancy Allen``
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Well, there's been plenty of christians who bomb abortion clinics and gay bars... but not typically in suicide attacks.
Certainly Christians do not escape criticism, with some militant against homosexuals and abortions far and above the fear that the characters in Brokeback Mountain are going to leap out of the screen and rape them. Even that line of thinking is wrong, but there are Christians out there who push for genocide. That certainly is extremist. To be honest I'm not knowledgeable of Christians committing what would be considered terrorist acts such as bombing abortion clinics, but I'm sure that it would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Sith
About 2 days ago?
Can you give specifics? I do not recall any suicide attacks or violence of any kind really since the Palestinion elections.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #129
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
To be honest I'm not knowledgeable of Christians committing what would be considered terrorist acts such as bombing abortion clinics, but I'm sure that it would happen.
Used to happen quite a bit back in the `90's

Quote:
Can you give specifics? I do not recall any suicide attacks or violence of any kind really since the Palestinion elections.
Well the news in America doesn't exactly talk about issues in the Middle East unless it involves a Palestini blowing something up.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #130
rccar328
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Sith
So he can't do it, but Jim Caveziel can? How interesting...
I'm gonna assume you're being sarcastic...because the only other option is complete stupidity.

Caveziel portrayed Christ so people could see the kind of suffering Jesus went through. Kanye West posed as Christ as a publicity stunt, because he knew it would offend people, and that's how he gets his kicks.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
~John F. Kennedy

True Conservatism

rccar328 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #131
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTemplar
Someone who takes blasphemy seriously is, by scandinavian standards at least, a radical and revolutionary zealot.
I think we differ in what we define as "seriously".

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #132
txa1265
Father Jedi

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I think we differ in what we define as "seriously".
Trulies.

There is the 'seriously' that means 'that seriously bums me out, I wish you hadn't told me my pet cricket was dead'.

And the one that means 'I'm seriously going to light your entire family on fire and watch you run screamig around the neighborhood'.'

Dopelar effect (n.) The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
txa1265 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Muslim anger at Mohammed Cartoon & Freedom of speech