lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: adding columns to current .2da files
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-16-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
knight3000
Lurker

adding columns to current .2da files

I have been trying to edit a few .2da files but i cannot add new columns. I export to Xml and edit in Excel but when i try to save as .2da using Excel 2DA Add-In by tk102 i continue to get a runtime error '53'File not Found: TLBINF32.

Can anyone help??? Can you even add columns to .2da files?
knight3000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
cookie12
Rookie

you have to use kotor tool's .2da editor not Excel am i right?
cookie12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight3000
I have been trying to edit a few .2da files but i cannot add new columns. I export to Xml and edit in Excel but when i try to save as .2da using Excel 2DA Add-In by tk102 i continue to get a runtime error '53'File not Found: TLBINF32.

Can anyone help??? Can you even add columns to .2da files?
You can add columns to 2DA files, though in most 2DAs the new columns won't be used by the game since the engine uses hardcoded access to particular columns, either by label or by index.

(Adding new columns can be useful when adding new classes though, since some of those 2DA files involved do support new columns, since you reference the new column labels in classes.2da.)

If you do add columns, always add them at the end/to the right in the 2DA file. Never insert a column between existing columns, or some files may no longer work as intended.

KotorTool's 2DA editor is currently unable to add columns to 2DA files. As far as I understand it the Excel macros should be able to do it though (though the Macros don't work in my spreadsheet). Why not import the 2DA file directly i Excel via the macro rather than go via XML?

If you can't get the more elegant macros to work you could try to do it the primitive way. The "2DA Converter/Merger" tool linked to in my signature will allow you to convert a 2DA file to tab-separated text, which you can then import into any spreadsheet and do your edits. When done, re-export the file as tab-separated text and the utility can convert it back to 2DA format.

mt
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: FTL
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
See also:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=147961 (post #19 and #20)

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
Shakil_Khan
Lurker

Thanks for that i was using excel but it looks like what i was doing wrong was trying to add the columns inbetween the current ones.

now it all works fine.

Man these forums rock!
Shakil_Khan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > adding columns to current .2da files