lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Contradictions in Star Wars fiction
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #41
arkodeon
Rookie

I don't really think anyone has thought of the logistics of a restart.

That would mean that contracts with publishing companies would have to be halted, revamped, and all current books put out by publishers would be a loss of profit. If George Lucas suddenly went "Oh no, all EU must be abolished, and restarted" then all current books being sold, and any new books in the works, would have to be regarded as a deficit due to the fact that the books would not be able to be published or sold any longer.

Chances are book publishers and the contracts themselves will be strained, and even terminated. You cannot just walk in one day and say "Oops. We made a booboo. Time to wipe the slate clean."

Honestly, that would never happen. Not if Lucas' Companies wants their precious money.

arkodeon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 02:53 AM   #42
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Post no offense but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak
I'll throw my indestructible Sun Crusher micromachine through your head.

Why are we even discussing this? The idea of "restarting" an entire universe is just silly. We can't "restart" our history, why should we do that for Star Wars?

Kurgan's posts are too long. I know, let's restart his history so he hates to write!
Yeah, let's continue to make fun of me instead of addressing my points in a rational manner.

We can't "restart" OUR history because it actually happened!

Fictional history can very well be restarted, and has in several successful franchises (Marvel comics, Battlestar Galactica, for example). What in that can't you understand? You're confusing "but I don't wanna!" with "it's impossible to do."

Doing so for Star Wars would have many possible benefits, which I already repeated. But go ahead continue to mock me because this idea is so offensive to you... So my posts are too long eh (where have I heard that one before?), that explains why you address them with such short, trite rebuttals...

Struck a nerve? No, I'm just tired.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 AM   #43
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkodeon
I don't really think anyone has thought of the logistics of a restart.

That would mean that contracts with publishing companies would have to be halted, revamped, and all current books put out by publishers would be a loss of profit. If George Lucas suddenly went "Oh no, all EU must be abolished, and restarted" then all current books being sold, and any new books in the works, would have to be regarded as a deficit due to the fact that the books would not be able to be published or sold any longer.
How does that follow? They can continue to sell the merchandise even if it's non-canon. The Star Trek franchise considers none of its novels canon and yet they are still published, sold and beloved by fans. This notion that all the current EU would have to be pulled from shelves at a loss if there was a franchise restart is not a logical outcome. They already sell non-canon Star Wars materials now, anyway, such as Star Wars Tales (the first 20 installments anyway) and Infinities.

They have cancelled Star Wars products before, for example the NJO was planned to be much longer than it actually turned out to be. They could either wait until the projects that are already in progress are finished (what, are they tied up from now until doomesday? I doubt that), or just divert those energies into different projects. Or finish them up and release them as non-canon. They could even run two continuities simultaneously as Marvel does. It doesn't matter. They could even do a "Crisis on Infinite Earths" like DC comics did sometime down the line to get rid of some continuity they don't want anymore.

The point is, in a fictional franchise you can do a lot of things. Maybe you don't want that to happen, but that's different than saying it's unfeasible.

Quote:
Chances are book publishers and the contracts themselves will be strained, and even terminated. You cannot just walk in one day and say "Oops. We made a booboo. Time to wipe the slate clean."
Why would they become "strained"? Are you saying the authors of the EU are more concerned with the integrity of the story than recieving a paycheck for their work? Already Star Wars authors are "forced" to bridle their creativity in order to "conform" to the demands of George Lucas for the sake of continuity (though we've seen how imperfectly that process works).

Do you think people would quit just because their artistic vision was not fully realized? They considered that when they signed on to write Star Wars books... comes with the territory. Of course "terminated" sounds like you're saying they would be fired. Why not just give them a new project?

I can't, but George Lucas can. He's not a prisoner of his own canon, he can run the franchise how he chooses (if you doubt me, look at all the silly decisions he's made in the past 20 years, and the franchise survives).

Quote:
Honestly, that would never happen. Not if Lucas' Companies wants their precious money.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm saying there are good reasons for doing it if you chose to. Obviously a lot of people in this thread wouldn't want it to happen, but that doesn't mean it's something impossible, just not what they would want. I'm discussing possibilities, not claiming to know what Lucas will do.

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 05-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #44
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
I'll throw my indestructible Sun Crusher micromachine through your head.
OMFG MY EYE!! JEEZ I'M BLIND!!

Quote:
Why are we even discussing this? The idea of "restarting" an entire universe is just silly. We can't "restart" our history, why should we do that for Star Wars?
I'm not taking it that far, I'm just saying canon should be more selective.

Quote:
Kurgan's posts are too long. I know, let's restart his history so he hates to write!
Why not just use the edit button.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2006, 12:17 AM   #45
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

Location: The good end of Ray's Gun, or the bad end of an AA gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
They could even run two continuities simultaneously as Marvel does.
I hadn't really thought of that. I don't think I would care much if they did do this.

Yeah, you'd think the Emperor had come back to life or something.
Shok_Tinoktin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2006, 03:07 AM   #46
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
OMFG MY EYE!! JEEZ I'M BLIND!!

I'm not taking it that far, I'm just saying canon should be more selective.

Why not just use the edit button.
Don't tempt me!

Oh, you mean him.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #47
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
hey! stay on topic!

Im still with phreak, the restart makes no sense, it would cheapen the great aspects of current EU.

Also, what makes anyone think that the "reloaded" EU is going to be any darn better !! With new star wars properties continuing to be produced in a variety of media, new contradictions will be created, and new retcons devised to gel them together.... you'll end up with the same situation again... History repeats itself in fiction too

for the reload

also, Im sure someone will be able to confirm this, but most of the retconning has been done in ****** comics. I'd venture to say that Phreak and myself are more versed in the novels(I definitely am) so havent been plagued by this realisation.... so dont restart teh whole of EU(especially some of the great books) just because the comics industry are "retcon whores"...

Randy Stradley and Co. should be drawn and quartered fo rsetting into motion this chain of events that has resulted in mods throwing micro machines and endless admin Force Lomg Posts(including a double post!)

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #48
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7
Also, what makes anyone think that the "reloaded" EU is going to be any darn better !! With new star wars properties continuing to be produced in a variety of media, new contradictions will be created, and new retcons devised to gel them together.... you'll end up with the same situation again... History repeats itself in fiction too
Well, at the very least everyone will be starting from the complete set of films, which would eliminate the issues (until the TV shows I guess) of g-canon blowing segments of the EU out of the water caused by the authors not knowing at the time (clone wars, jedi stuff, force ghosts) and George not caring so much about the EU.

I guess that is the sort of thing I'd like to clean up.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2006, 05:11 PM   #49
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

George Lucas must be the most hated man by his own fanbase.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #50
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
George Lucas must be the most hated man by his own fanbase.
c'mon he's made billions. If I was GL and in that position, I'd take out a whole page in the New York Times, with a huge photo flippin the bird at the camera, and the caption "It's my creation. I can do what the **** I want!"

But he's played all the whiners like a damn violin....releasing the "original-original trilogy" on dvd was a stroke of marketing and PR genius

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Expanded Universe > Contradictions in Star Wars fiction