lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: A question
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-05-2006, 03:42 AM   #1
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
A question

I've seen some timelines and dates and such established by the books that have been written. When you folks write your stories do you try and stay within them or do you move outside them? I ask because I have a work in progress but according to several things I've read there are some MAJOR flaws in my chronology.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2006, 04:28 AM   #2
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Personally, I just take what I want from the EU and leave the rest... kind of like when you are at a salad bar.

It is one of the things about writing fan fiction for something, what you come up with can be contradicted later on, I personally don't consider it a biggie. But there are some in the 'EU Purists Brigade' that will think otherwise, but you can't please everyone.

IMHO the important stuff is how good a read it is!

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2006, 04:34 AM   #3
JediAthos

Thanks RH, that makes me feel better about what I've got written. I may eventually post it here, but I've always been a bit protective of my work, or perhaps a better description is afraid of criticism

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Old 06-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
milo
[]D [] []V[] []D [] []\[]

I wouldn't worry too much athos. Most people provide constructive criticism and feedback, and the ones who post just to say you suck really aren't worth listening to.

"I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now,
Even though you broke my heart and killed me.
And tore me to pieces...
And threw every piece into a fire.
As I burned, it hurt because
I was so happy for you." - GLaDOS
milo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Hey, criticism is easier to handle than indifference, Athos.

And remember, there are holes and inconsistencies in Star Wars canon anyway. The prequel trilogy ingored stuff in the books set after RotJ, and some of the stuff just doesn't add up period. Unless you're doing silly things like killing off Han Solo in the Mos Eisley cantina, I would worry more about writing a good story than how well it fits in to the minutae of Star Wars canon.

Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Star Wars has canon?! WHAT?

The best thing to do if you want to avoid breaking canon is to do something completely different - for example, I wrote in another Star Wars universe. I also did the events of KotOR in a different style. It's not that hard to work around canon without actually breaking it.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2006, 10:44 PM   #7
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
well, if anyone's been following my 'Betrayal and Retribution' series, you'll note how closely i tend to get to the official Star Wars canon. something i've done is to research the canon material and to work things around it that way. and trust me, i've put probably as much research into that story to make sure it follows the "canon" events primarily as established in the movies, as that is the most important thing to consider.

there are some EU things that you just simply can't plan on unless you have a massive EU library with you (which, i have yet to find) since it's so massive. and, to be honest, i'm really never too concerned with going up against the EU, anyway, since the average person isn't even going to know that you did contradict the EU.

basically, just follow Redhawke's advise, and you'll be fine. i just felt like putting in my own perspective on the issue.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #8
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
It is one of the things about writing fan fiction for something, what you come up with can be contradicted later on, I personally don't consider it a biggie. But there are some in the 'EU Purists Brigade' that will think otherwise, but you can't please everyone.

IMHO the important stuff is how good a read it is!
To keep it all in perspective:
What's the worst the 'EU purists' could do here anyway? Say 'Oh, it's not canon.'
In the immortal words of Garfield the Cat, big fat hairy deal.

We're just writing to have a good time here and/or build writing skills, so I'm not worried if something contradicts. I might twitch a bit if you did something that blatantly contradicted something big in the movies, but it's not like we're writing something that explains how to do major heart surgery where we have to be 100% correct.

I agree with RH--it's how good a read it is that's the important thing.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2006, 11:47 PM   #9
JediKnight707
Or I will choke you...

When I read a story, I don't really care about the timeline. Unless its so far off, that you're just like, "What the hell?" (i.e. Anakin fighting some guy in KotOR).

JediKnight707 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2006, 06:02 AM   #10
JediAthos

I appreciate all the responses and the input. The story I'm working right now is still in pen and paper mode and hasn't found its way onto my computer. Once it does I'll be sure to post the first exceprts here. I look forward to having a welcoming group such as yourselves review it.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Coruscant Entertainment Centre > A question