lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Your first Monkey Island moment....
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-11-2006, 12:59 AM   #41
Krakko
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by legowar
Unfortunately, the first and the only Monkey Island I have ever played was Escape from Monkey Island. I got it recently because I was watching G4 and there was stuff about how good MI was, so I thought, heh, what the heck it's cheap and it's an MI game, so it must be good. Boy was I wrong. I wish I could have played secret 1 or 2, but I'm getting Curse soon.

By the way, did Tim Schafer help with Curse of Monkey Island?
dude just download them (MI 1 & 2).. or is that like condemned here? You're not gonna find them in any stores anywhere, maybe on ebay if your lucky
Krakko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2006, 01:18 AM   #42
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
It's not encouraged... if people want to illegally download games, we can't stop them, but obviously don't shout about it and/or paste any links in the forums.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2006, 01:31 AM   #43
Smon
Bizarro

Current Game: Payday 2
Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I thought SMI & LcR were abandonware since LA doesn't sell it anymore...

I'm done putting links in my signature because every time I do it just links to some old crap I've long since stopped updating.
Smon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2006, 01:47 AM   #44
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
There's no such thing. At least, not in a legal sense.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2006, 03:29 AM   #45
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Some benevolent companies that realise there is no more milk to be had from the cow give their old games away free, and supported. I'm talking about Revolution. LucasArts would have a lot more friends if they put Zak McKracken or Loom for download on their website - no one will ever pay for these games again, excluding collectors who won't be interested in downloads anyway. Hell, they should bundle Fate of Atlantis or Last Crusade as a freebie with their 2007 Indy game. If Nintendo can give away Zelda, and Revolution can give away Beneath A Steel Sky... well.

I mean, they could probably make some money out of offering those old games on a $5 download-only platform. Three for ten dollars! In a nice self-extracting zip file.

Of course, doing that would mean they'd have to either a) rework the games slightly so they'd work on XP (faaar too much trouble) or b) start supporting ScummVM, like Revolution did. That kind of fan-outreach would be grossly out of character though.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2006, 07:55 AM   #46
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Or, like revolution, they could continue to sell their old game, like Broke Sword, where as far as I know, the first two (I know the second one definately is) still available in stores (as is the third, but that's only to be expected it beig so new)

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #47
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I've not seen BS in stores since, like, ten years ago. Where'd you see it? Might have to go have a scout! ;

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #48
loveandevol
Lurker

I was too young too remember specifics but it was Secret of Monkey Island on windows 3.1. My only adventures before that were Kings Quest 1 & 3 and Police Quest 3. My wheel was photocopied and I never saw a box for it so I assume it was a pirate my gramps had but I didn't know what that was at the time. The version was the 16 color issue.

What did I get stuck on or remember the most? Well I was shocked to get into the scummbar kitchen, I did as much of the story as possible without going in there. I was badly tricked by the stump joke I think I may have even dreamt going into it. I was also really bothered by the PTA minutes as I never heard the term minutes used that way and I swear I tried to use them on every single thing in the game.

What I think of first when MI comes up is just how believable all those places were. I am just now starting to work with AGS and making similar adventure games but its made me remember and appreciate the magic of the story coming together with the backgrounds. When I went to Monkey Island I really felt a world away from the lookout point at the beginning of the game. Nothing has really brought that sense of world, not even QFG games, Mario 64, or the Grand Theft Auto series in all its 3d glory.

I have only finished the first two and played 30 minutes worth of CMI. I really don't know if I want to play the last two. Maybe EMI for the nostalgia of the first one but I really wasn't that impressed with MI2 even. I see its usually taken to be the best in the series but I just can't agree. Like Cool Runnings, it had its moments. But I have replayed MI 1 every other year since I first came across it and I have a feeling that until I make my own MI themed game I will never be satisfied.
loveandevol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #49
counting_pine
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrik
I've not seen BS in stores since, like, ten years ago. Where'd you see it? Might have to go have a scout! ;
You can buy Broken Sword, on its own or bundled with Broken Sword 2 (they're both the same price, so, tough choice...), online from Sold-out Software

Soli Deo Gloria
Jesu Juva
counting_pine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #50
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrik
=I've not seen BS in stores since, like, ten years ago. Where'd you see it? Might have to go have a scout! ;
About a month or so ago I was inexplicably in Dixons and my friend bought BS2 (indeed distributed by Sold Out) and I do remember seeing the first on sale there as well (which I'd told him to buy considering he hadn't played a single BS in his life, but nevermind).

I should also think that any Game store would have it stocked, and yes, you can also buy it bundled with the second game.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Monkey Island Discussion > MI Chat > General MI Discussion > Your first Monkey Island moment....