View Poll Results: Which is the best
Star Trek 13 20.97%
Futurama 20 32.26%
FireFly 10 16.13%
Enterprise 5 8.06%
Other 14 22.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: The Best sci-fi That Had Been Canceled
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #41
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Enterprise sucked. It was ok in the beginning, and the Xindi season kept it alive for a while, but then it collapsed. Ironically though, the last four episodes generated higher ratings than any other episode in the series... especially "In a Mirror, Darkly".
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #42
logan essex
Rookie

Definetly FIREFLY
I think they didn't have enough time to be discovered by a large fan base. there is a lot of other entertainment venues to compete with these days. DVDs should be released right after a season ends to grow fanbases.

when enterprise came out, my cable didn't carry UPN, so I only saw a couple of episodes my sister had sent to me on tape. then I didn't have cable when they got UPN, too busy with other stuff.
then I got on netflix and watched all the episodes. I think it was best trek spinoff. when it was coming to an end, they were allowed more freedom in plot writing and that is what made the last episodes so great. They were finally allowed to come into their own.

another series I really liked was VR5. Cancelled before the story was finished(mabye it was just a matrix created fantasy)
logan essex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #43
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

I liked Enterprise! Finally, we had a Star Trek where they weren't bound by the Prime Directive and could bend the rules of ethics a little. This allowed them to explore some ethical issues we never encountered in other Star Trek series (I don't think we've ever seen even Kirk throw a prisoner in an airlock and start bleeding off the atmosphere). That's one of the things that made Firefly or the new Battlestar Galactica so appealing--none of the black-and-white adhering to morals that permeated Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Now, Firefly was a great show that was a ton of fun to watch, but I don't for a minute think that it's destined for greatness. What makes that show shine are two things: the completeness of the universe ('scuse me, I mean, 'Verse) it takes place in and the dialogue between the characters. The plotlines themselves, while they hold up well as capers within the span of a single episode, are really hackneyed and cliched when it comes to the multi-episode arcs. And the characters, individually, separated from all their hilarious dialogue, are all stock characters, and none of them undergoes any character development over the course of the entire series. All of them could be summed up by a single phrase, they act exactly according to how a character with such a summary should act, and we've seen all those characters in other books, movies, and TV shows many times before. Firefly brings this weird mix of extreme imaginitivity and extreme unimaginitivity to the airwaves, which is why it'll always remain a cult thing.

Futurama doesn't fit with the others. It doesn't count.

So, uh...I dunno. I guess I'm not voting. But I threw my two cents out there anyways!

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > Community > Dexter Jettser's Diner > The Best sci-fi That Had Been Canceled