lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Save the Internet
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
Save the Internet

Something we should all be concerned about. There is a new law that is on it's way to being passed that would allow major internet providers to charge any websites, search engines, etcetera to have their sites load up faster than others.

This will directly affect all of us and will stifle any innovation or fringe content on the internet. This is a big deal. Please check out www.savetheinternet.com for more info. This would also allow companies such as AT&T or COMCAST the ability to block or effectively shut down sites that don't pay by bottlenecking download and uplaod speeds from their site. If you don't want the internet to become FOX News and canned programming dictated by the companies that can pay the most, please send your voice through the site to the government.

I just found out about this yesterday and have decided to let others know because I think that having the internet F;d up by the government would be the last straw.

anyone else pissed

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Wow! A productive post by jawathehutt?! Well, that doesn't come by often! Great job anyway.

Quite interesting......I am not as concerned as you seem to be though.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Obi-Wan
Wow! A productive post by jawathehutt?! Well, that doesn't come by often! Great job anyway.

Quite interesting......I am not as concerned as you seem to be though.
I know! He used proper grammar as well!
I am not concerned, it won't affect me directly, it's just Capitalism in the US branching out even further.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
r u sayed that i use dont us3 poper gwamer
jk
The thing is though, this wil most likely get other nations even more pissed at the US since almost all of the servers for websites are in the US. If companies started blocking foriegn sites, this would be a major problem since Bushy would have to work this out, bombs would drop on London or something cause he's stupid like that.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Well that certainly sucks. Stupid Republicans...
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2006, 01:27 AM   #6
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
This is all just election politics at it's best. They make a controversial law and then vote it down to garner more political "see we did this for you all, please re-elect us!" crap at election time.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2006, 01:57 AM   #7
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
If this s*** passes I'm getting a T1 line.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
There’s a pervasive myth that there has been no Internet content discrimination by the large phone and cable companies. “That is simply untrue, ” writes Matt Stoller of BlogPAC.

Stoller points to Cox Cable, which for three months has blocked their customers from accessing the online classifieds super-site, Craigslist. (Disclosure: Craig Newmark the company’s founder is a charter member of this coalition)
- http://www.savetheinternet.com/blog/

Really? Cox Cable is my ISP and I just went to craigslist.com and craigslist.org without any problems. This website just lost a lot of credibility with me.

As far as net neutrality goes I'm OK with ISP's who will offer higher-speed connectivity to customers who want to pay for it. E.g. Cox has a Premier Hi-Speed Internet service available that if I paid an extra USD$20 dollars/month I would go from 512 Kbps up/6 Mbps down to 1 Mbps up/9 Mbps down. I don't need the extra speed so I don't pay for it.

I'm not OK with ISP's blocking access or placing bandwidth restrictions that are less than what I currently get. I'll have to investigate this savetheinternet.com website some more though because right now I think this organization is too alarmist for my tastes.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
PBS Boston had a documentary on this. I guess, the government and others are pushing for stonger control over the internet. Gr....

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > Community Discussion > Save the Internet