lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: How long after the release of Windows Vista will you upgrade?
I'm beta testing 6 5.00%
Immediately 9 7.50%
Within 6 months 15 12.50%
Within a year 35 29.17%
Never, If I can avoid it 45 37.50%
I use a Mac or run Linux 10 8.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Windows Vista?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #41
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
beta testing, not really that fond of it to be honest. Probably not going to upgrade, or anytime soon after release.

-"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."
Alegis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2006, 09:23 PM   #42
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
What don't you like about it
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #43
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
If anything, I'll get it to rotate windows "into the screen".

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 09:09 AM   #44
manoman81
Forumite

My boss just got a copy of the beta. It looks nice. It has some nice visual effects. They improved on the "All Programs" menu so that it scrolls instead of flying out (the way it should have been from the beginning imo). It seems to be cleaned up a little bit. This is what XP should have been like. Also, I think many people will be happy with all of the drivers up until release being there already and WMP 11 is very nice. It acutally makes sense now. It has some handy tools like a "system rater" that lets you know what needs to be upgraded and tweaked.

Other than that, it is all eye candy. There is very little that is not something we have not seen already in some thrid party software. It is a system hog. There is no reason for the alt+tab screen flip. It really seems to be a bootleg OSX 10 for a PC. Again, I really will not get this unless I have to have in order to run some programs.

This is just my opinion....
manoman81 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #45
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Maybe within a year or something...when I buy my laptop.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #46
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

I don't want to get Vista, but many new games that look's really good will only come to Vista, so i probaly most get it for that reson. So i probaly uppgrade within 6 months
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #47
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
What? that doesn't sound right. They stop making games compatible for Windows ME i believe, but I think they will make games XP-compatible for a while atleast, like 5 years or even more.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #48
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

Not all game, i believe Crysis is just gonna be for Vista, but i could be wrong. And thats a game im looking forward too
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2006, 02:59 AM   #49
Dawgas
Lurker

Just one quick thing - The reason Vista's a system hog is so that everyone else can sell better, newer versions of their products (NEW VIDEO CARDS, PROCESSORS WITH 248795 GIGAHERTZ OF PROCESSING POWAR!1), and without that, we cant have our realistic eyecandy games, now can we? (hopefully we can turn all that crap off though, lolz)

And XP support'll probably be gone in like, three years or less, and that's how long I wish to wait to get Vista, so I dont have to spend 3k to get a crappy system when it comes out, and instead pay 1k for that same system, lol.
Dawgas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2006, 12:49 AM   #50
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutmeister
My current thoughts are to upgrade about a year after Windows Vista is released. I don't see any pressing need to upgrade before then unless, as others have mentioned, I need to have DirectX 10 for some reason. But I don't really foresee that happening.
Things have altered somewhat since I posted in March. I think my timeline may be right but my decision to go with Vista will hinge on my decision to upgrade to a quad-core processor and mobo. When I upgrade the hardware I'll upgrade the OS. I'm assuming though that Windows Vista Ultimate or Home Premium will support quad-core processors. From what I've read thus far Ultimate will support two processors. But it would seem kinda weird for AMD and Intel to release quad-cores for desktop PC's if a Microsoft OS that supported quad-cores wasn't available.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > LucasForums Poll > Windows Vista?