lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: *How did Vader get his name?*
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-12-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
*bAsTiLaJeEdAi*
Rookie

*How did Vader get his name?*

Darth Vader!woooooooo

How did Sidious come up with Vaders name? Did he just think-ooooo Vader that sounds cool and intimidating. and has anyone else noticed that if you put "in" in front of vader its Invader which is basically what he is?

Sorry its just that this has been bugging me for ages, and I was looking forward to finding out in ROTS but all he says is "you will be known Darth Vader". any thoughts?

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
---- George Carlin
*bAsTiLaJeEdAi* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Well I don't know the official reason for how Palpatine came up with it (if there is one) but I know in, I believe, Dutch, Vader means father. So that's how they got the name.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
Great Scott!

The name probably means something, and Palpatine had about 23 years to think it up, so he probably chose well.
Great Scott! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2006, 11:23 PM   #4
*bAsTiLaJeEdAi*
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
Well I don't know the official reason for how Palpatine came up with it (if there is one) but I know in, I believe, Dutch, Vader means father. So that's how they got the name.
Whoa thats quite interesting. hehe Darth Father. or Darth Dad!

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
---- George Carlin
*bAsTiLaJeEdAi* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2006, 07:11 AM   #5
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Well they got the name Darth because it sounded like dark. I remember George saying something about how in reality vader's name means 'Dark Father.'

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2006, 07:22 AM   #6
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Yeah I think that's right, Vader does mean father.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
Great Scott!

In German, father is "Vater," which is really close too (as has been pointed out before), but the Dutch name is the official reason.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
coupes.
★★★★★

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
All true, GL said so in a interview with Rolling Stone in 2005 I beleive.
coupes. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Darth is a made up name just like Jedi or Sith.

And here is wookieepedia has to say on the subject

Quote:
It is also worth noting that vader is the Dutch word for father (as well as an Old English variant for "father" cf. OED), and it may be tempting to read the character name Darth Vader as Dark Father, a word-play that may well be the root of the Sith title. However, judging by the origin of the other Sith names, Vader may also possibly be a derivative of the word invader. Furthermore, it is also worth noting that in the original scripts for A New Hope, the name Darth Vader was given to a normal Imperial general.

Darth_Terros is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2006, 11:45 AM   #10
grrrrrrrrrr7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Windu
That's what I've heard for a long time. I thought everybody knew that.
i didnt
grrrrrrrrrr7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #11
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

So, Darth Vader could be translated as "Black Daddy" ??
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #12
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

The wookiepedia bit is quite interesting.

But I believe that the OP wanted to know how *Sidious*, not Lucas, found the name. It's been a while since I read the book, but there's something about "Sith spirits" whispering the name to Sidious. Or something similar.

~Dark Cupcake of the Sith
DarthMuffin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #13
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
So, Darth Vader could be translated as "Black Daddy" ??
Only by someone like you.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2006, 04:35 AM   #14
St. Jimmy

O_o Wow. I never knew that stuff I just assumed GL used that name 'cause it sounded cool.

The following tale of alien encounter is true and by true, I mean false. Its all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end isn't that the real truth? The answer is no.
St. Jimmy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2006, 03:32 PM   #15
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
But I agree, the way Palpatine presents it in the movie is kinda stupid...In fact that entire scene is rediculous, Anakin is such a damn wimp...It kinda ruins the image I used to have of Vader

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #16
Samurai DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth54
The wookiepedia bit is quite interesting.

But I believe that the OP wanted to know how *Sidious*, not Lucas, found the name. It's been a while since I read the book, but there's something about "Sith spirits" whispering the name to Sidious. Or something similar.
Yep, in fact, if you pay attention in the movie, Sidious doesn't just say "You'llbeDarthVader." He kind of says "You'll be Darth... Va... Der." In the space between syllables you can hear a really creepy sound, probably the Sith spirits telling him the name.
Samurai DD is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2006, 10:11 PM   #17
Great Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative_Sun
But I agree, the way Palpatine presents it in the movie is kinda stupid...In fact that entire scene is rediculous, Anakin is such a damn wimp...It kinda ruins the image I used to have of Vader
Are you ****ing kidding me? That was one of my favorite scenes in the whole saga! People sure are critical when watching the prequel trilogy, if it's not 100% perfect, they seem to get all mad at it...

Hill Valley

"A nice place to live."
Old 08-19-2006, 12:43 AM   #18
obXI
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai DD
Yep, in fact, if you pay attention in the movie, Sidious doesn't just say "You'llbeDarthVader." He kind of says "You'll be Darth... Va... Der." In the space between syllables you can hear a really creepy sound, probably the Sith spirits telling him the name.
Yeah he did pause there, almost like he had other names racing through his head.

"darth vapid...no nono...vapor...NO...vegas. Ah Wait! Vader!"

From the moment Sidious exposed himself as a Sithlord to Anakin to the moment Anakin became Darth Vader was the BEST direction Lucas had done throughout the prequels. My god I thought it would never happen, some damn good drama...*appalauds*
obXI is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2006, 06:24 AM   #19
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

I thought it was some sort of ancient Sith language and he was just thinking of something appropriate for Anakin.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2006, 08:15 AM   #20
grrrrrrrrrr7
Rookie

Here's what DARTH VADER really means:

..................It is also worth noting that vader is the Dutch word for father (as well as an Old English variant for "father" cf. OED), and it may be tempting to read the character name Darth Vader as Dark Father, a word-play that may well be the root of the Sith title. However, judging by the origin of the other Sith names, Vader may also possibly be a derivative of the word invader. Furthermore, it is also worth noting that in the original scripts for A New Hope, the name Darth Vader was given to a normal Imperial general.............

End of dissucussion.
grrrrrrrrrr7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2006, 08:19 AM   #21
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrrrrrrrr7
Here's what DARTH VADER really means:

..................It is also worth noting that vader is the Dutch word for father (as well as an Old English variant for "father" cf. OED), and it may be tempting to read the character name Darth Vader as Dark Father, a word-play that may well be the root of the Sith title. However, judging by the origin of the other Sith names, Vader may also possibly be a derivative of the word invader. Furthermore, it is also worth noting that in the original scripts for A New Hope, the name Darth Vader was given to a normal Imperial general.............

End of dissucussion.
Thanks for sharing something that was already posted ....

Darth_Terros is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #22
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, we still did not solve why IN UNIVERSE he is called Vader.

I don't suppose Sidious called Ani Vader cause "Hmmm... Vader means father, cause you make me think about my daddy"

One suggestion would be Vader as in "invader" like Sidious as in "insidious" but obviously you don't add in- in frount of all Darth- sith names.

Think about inbane, inkrayt, inmalek or inbinks. They all sound stupid.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:16 PM   #23
Samurai DD

But the solution for the "in universe" reason is what Darth54 and me already posted! Sith spirits chose the name, and told Sidious through the Force.
Samurai DD is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #24
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

Well, people like to discuss stuff over and over again even if the topic question is already answered

~Dark Cupcake of the Sith
DarthMuffin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2006, 06:30 PM   #25
JediLandon
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork
The name probably means something, and Palpatine had about 23 years to think it up, so he probably chose well.

ya he probably had some time to think of that name beside all the sith names start with darth all that he had to come up with was vader
JediLandon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #26
Darth Badguy
Rookie

I don't tink it has anything to do with Dutch. I would like it if he was really called after a Dutch word (I'm Dutch ) but it doesn't make any sense... why would George Lucas read the dictionary of one of the smallest countrys in the world with a Prime-Minister of which George Bush can't even remember his name (Jan Peter Balkenende)? It's more like (In)vader, attacker, leader of the invasion...

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Darth Badguy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #27
Gug Eyewalker

About the scene where his is named Darth Vader, everything leading up to that was great, BUT, Anakin was way too submissive, he was just "What have I done?" "I pledge myself to your teachings" and that was it!

There shoulda been a fight between the two or something, Sidious shoulda had a round against Anakin to break his will....
Forget about al lthe Padme nonsense! No idiot would jsut bow down to a sworn and untrusted enemy to save your girlfriend from a scanty vision.

We are the music makers, and WE are the dreamers of the dream. -Willie Wonka
Gug Eyewalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #28
darth kav
Rookie

he was "submissive" because he know no that he could not go back to the light side because he has killed a jedi master and if he did he would be exiled from the council.hope this anwsers your question.

any why back to the subject i agree with Samurai DD and darth 54 said.
darth kav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #29
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

Actually, he could come back to the light since he did in episode IV.

If he loved Padme enough, then he would've done anything to save her - even betray his allies and become the Sith Lord's apprentice.

And btw, Darth Badguy, try not to resurrect old threads.

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #30
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I've heard about a babylonian word (think its babilonian, or sumerian, or somewhere else on the old Middle-East) that, renslated, sounds exactly like Darth Vader.

The actual meaning of that word is: "The rule of the Sword". An entire era where the wars, the warfare, was woth more than actual people.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #31
darth kav
Rookie

thats kool :O
darth kav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2007, 02:56 AM   #32
JawaJoey
Forumite

There are plenty of explanations for the etymology of Vader and most character's names, but the question, I think, is how did Palpatine come up with it.

We don't know, but I would guess that he just chose it. Obviously not from the Dutch origin. Just something cool and intimidating, reminiscent of evil. He probably thought of it before hand.

How do you name a child? You just come up with a good name. This was the same, except instead of a baby, he was a Sith.

God is a placebo with nasty side effects.
JawaJoey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2007, 10:41 AM   #33
LordSerion
Rookie

This is an ancient Sith tradition. When an Apprentice reaches the required status, the Master gives him his new name. He enters into a brief, but deep meditation, connects to the Force and then spells it. The Dark Side itself suggests the name.
LordSerion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #34
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Now how did the Sith Spirits come up with the name? I guess they are probably getting it from one of those "baby names" website from goggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawaJoey
There are plenty of explanations for the etymology of Vader and most character's names, but the question, I think, is how did Palpatine come up with it.

How do you name a child? You just come up with a good name. This was the same, except instead of a baby, he was a Sith.
Well, there is no "Book of Baby Sith Names" found on Amazon.com. So it must be hard naming your lil' Sith.

Well, actually rather than coming up with a nice sounding name, it does help to check on words with similar meaning, ESPECIALLY words that sound similar in the language. You ton'w want your kid to be made fun of fore the rest of his life. Cause you know, it is REQUIRED for everyone to make fun of a stupid name.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #35
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I think the thread is about how Palpatine made up the name "Vader" and not how Lucas made up the name "Vader"! It was probably the name of some ancient Sith or meant something in the ancient Sith language, methinks. The way he says it, "Darth... Vader." indicates that he was looking for something in his memory, a name he had in his mind.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #36
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, consider Anakin lucky... If Palpy have bad hearing then he may be stuck with some random stupid names...

Darth... Beta!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #37
Obss Damell
Rookie

Current Game: Mass Effect 2/KOTOR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller

thats true. my guess is because he has no father. although some belive darth plaguies ''created'' him by manipulating midi-chlorians.....damn paradox....Plagueies makes Anikin, Sidious kills Plagueies, Anikin becomes Sidious' apprentice...damn

Obss Damell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #38
BigMike322
Rookie

Too bad they canceled the Plagues novel, although I am looking forward to the rule of 2. Anyways I think the whole Vade/Father concept was to coincide with "Luke, I am your father."

Darth Venom
BigMike322 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #39
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai DD
But the solution for the "in universe" reason is what Darth54 and me already posted! Sith spirits chose the name, and told Sidious through the Force.
Exactly... don't you remember that Sidious had a really deep voice when he told Ani that his new name was Vader... Sidious got this from the dark side of the force, he DIDN'T think of the name, the dark side of the force did.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #40
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

This is like asking how America became America...

Or how Britain became Britain...

Just sounds cool!

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Prequel Trilogy > *How did Vader get his name?*