lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The Dark Nest Trilogy [spoiler tags plz]
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #41
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
hehe... "OMG LUKE FIXES THE NJOz"

No need to spoiler tag that IMO... that much seems obvious.... Luke and his arcane potentium(that word again) is akin to the Catholic Church in the Dark Ages, denouncing anything that doesnt agree with his established law, and that his view of things is the absolute and correct one...

what Astro waits to see: Jacen to start his own academy...maybe we will see something like this in this in LOTF

The jedi's restricted views led to their near demise within the space of one generation... its greatest master having to hide like a rat near a swamp... perhaps if the jedi were not as narrow-minded anakin would never have been so likely to be swayed by the sith...

w00t for Jacen.... anyone who hasn't read "Traitor" or "The Unifying Force" wont get a true of idea of why jacen is the way he is in the post NJO books....

still, Ive read recent interviews with Sue Rostoni about this very subject and..........nah, I'll save it for later

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2005, 08:32 AM   #42
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Current Game: Skyrim
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7
No need to spoiler tag that IMO... that much seems obvious.... Luke and his arcane potentium(that word again) is akin to the Catholic Church in the Dark Ages, denouncing anything that doesnt agree with his established law, and that his view of things is the absolute and correct one...
But he only denounces it after he sees first hand what it results in with regard to the Jedi order. The potentium theory has to some extent lead towards a Jedi civil war. And considering Jacen's actions and goals in Unseen Queen, I don't think Luke would want anyone following that path.

Quote:
what Astro waits to see: Jacen to start his own academy...maybe we will see something like this in this in LOTF
Right now it looks like Jacen might be set up to be the the villian in that series. He would be a good one I think, and something different.

Quote:
The jedi's restricted views led to their near demise within the space of one generation... its greatest master having to hide like a rat near a swamp... perhaps if the jedi were not as narrow-minded anakin would never have been so likely to be swayed by the sith...
But Anakin didn't follow the rules of the Jedi, that was part of the problem. I'm not saying the Jedi are free of responsiblility, but Anakin went his own way against the advice of others except Palpatine. It is not as if Anakin strictly followed the Jedi's rules and fell. I think ultimately Yoda was right. He was too old to begin the training, and we see why that "rule" was in place.

Quote:
w00t for Jacen.... anyone who hasn't read "Traitor" or "The Unifying Force" wont get a true of idea of why jacen is the way he is in the post NJO books....
I think it is pretty clear why he is what he is from what is explained in this series. We understand his reasons for wanting genocide and using the Force to damage peoples' minds. The books are showing what problems arise from his philosphy.

But like I say, he would make a really good villian for TUF.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #43
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Interesting stuff Primeski. Jacen for me is easily the most interesting character in EU in the last 5 years... If only Vergere could speak to him in the Force, like Obi did with Luke.. she was one awesome bird lady

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #44
Foshjedi2004

She Was A Fosh

My Personal Opinions are not Endorsed by Any Websites, persons or places.
Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Foshjedi2004 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2006, 08:32 PM   #45
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foshjedi2004
She Was A Fosh
Is that what the F in KFC stands for?

Old 01-03-2006, 09:00 AM   #46
Foshjedi2004

No KFC Stands for Kandified Freaky Chocolate

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 01-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #47
master_skywalke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Is that what the F in KFC stands for?
Kentucky Fried Chicken

master_skywalke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 08:59 AM   #48
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

OK kids. Youve had your fun with Chicken.... Now back on topic !

I dunno...Im nearing the end of TJK(Finally) Theres been some very interesting things, but Jaina is starting to grate....

and the whole
spoiler:
shadow academy dark jedi
plot....bleh ! You cant expect characters who appeared in the
spoiler:
Young Jedi Knights Novels
to amount to anything good, IMO

Im hoping TUQ is better... damn those freakin ants....why cant they rebuild darksaber and arm it with a giant flyspray superlaser that'll fixem !

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #49
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Wait until you read The Swarm War...

Luke
spoiler:
....for the win!

[/Astro Edit]Primeski, Ive just added tags as spoilerific things can be inferred from that ! having not read it yet, I didnt know that was going to happen in the Swarm War....
spoiler:
Im assuming you are saying Luke duels Jacen and Luke kicks his a$$ ???

mtfbwya

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 01-09-2006 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:08 PM   #50
Foshjedi2004

I wanted Jacen to end the War.....

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 01-09-2006, 12:00 AM   #51
A Small Penguin
Lurker

If Jacen ever has a kid, he/she and Ben skywalker should team up

[Astro Edit] tinkering to reduce spoilerisation.

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 01-09-2006 at 08:09 AM.
A Small Penguin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-09-2006, 05:11 AM   #52
Foshjedi2004

Jacen has a
spoiler:
daughter called Allana

[/Astro Edit]...Ive tinkered to not make it as revealing. Be mindful of spoilers !

Check out my Gallery
[/color]

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 01-09-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #53
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Small Penguin
When they are older Jacen's kid and Ben skywalker should team up
what wouldve been good was if Jacen and Vergere did some freaky man-birdlady lovin.... their offspring wouldve been hella kicka$$

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #54
Foshjedi2004

Thats not a pretty image!!

*Shudder*

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 01-15-2006, 01:23 PM   #55
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Yeah... anywho, I finally finished the trilogy. It was good overall, but it felt like the author was rushing to end the book, but that's just me. I can't wait for more post-NJO books.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2006, 04:32 AM   #56
Foshjedi2004

They kinda finished the entire of the Swarm war off in like 5 or 6 pages. There really wasn't much of a final battle
spoiler:
between Luke and the Queen

ANGRY EDIT: grr.....Thanks for revealing the ending Fosh Next time use damn spoiler tags

like this

[spoiler] xxxx [/spolier] (2nd one misspelt to illustrate)

mtfbwya

Check out my Gallery
[/color]

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 01-28-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:15 PM   #57
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
For those who are interested, someone has posted a summary and review of the new post-NJO novel. Note that spoilers abound. You can read it all here.

I am still hoping that I will like the post-NJO world, but this blurb has me worried:

spoiler:
Views of the Force are different now, and it is no longer a sin to use anger as a means to an end, as long as that end is a good one. Kyp has always used anger as a means to an end, so it's not surprising for him to do so, but characters who have traditionally been calm and collected are now using their anger for power--characters such as Luke and Corran.

I know that this is just som nobody's review, but WTF?? Are they just trying to go the exact opposite direction of the films? Are they all going to be usning Force Lightning and gripping people all in the name of Peace, Freedom, and Love? Someone who reads the book quickly will have to tell me if this is all true. Sigh
I am not a fan of the "New Jedi Order'. I own only two books from the 'NJO' series. After I read the introduction, of one of the books, I could not read any more pages. This morning, I thought it would be intresting to read the 'Dark Nest' series, so I bought all three of them. From what I gather is that, the Jedi now walk a narrow line between light and dark. In order for them to use Force Lightening, they have to somehow control their anger. Up until four to five years ago, Luke was the only Jedi that sucessfully converted from the lightside to darkside to lightside. If he found a way to use Force Lightening without falling completly to the darkside, then I welcome the chance to see how he fears. Remember, Mara was never really a Dark Jedi or Sith. She had the potential to become a darksider, but she never fully made the convert. Revan's cannon is a lightside male; therefore, Luke could very well be the most sucessful Jedi yet. If this series brings us back to the original Star Wars feeling, I welcome the chance to read an intresting storyline. The "NJO' was too far away from what Star Wars is, and I could not tolerate reading more than the intorduction. I think this series could bring us back to what Star Wars is really about... I could be wrong, but if that reviewer is right, I welcome the experience...

People may have forgotten about what it means to experience the original Star Wars... This could be their chance to remember...

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2006, 03:25 PM   #58
Foshjedi2004

Legacy of the Force is meant to have the return of some Sith I think.

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 01-27-2006, 04:31 PM   #59
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Great, more EU going against the movies. I wonder how they'll have the Sith return with the two last Sith having being killed.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #60
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
Great, more EU going against the movies. I wonder how they'll have the Sith return with the two last Sith having being killed.
The Dark Nest series is my first step into the 'NJO' world. I have no desire in reading the whol 'NJO', but I am going to read the last book.

I know what you mean about, "EU going against the movies". Even though I am reading this series, I will probally only accept it as 'NJO' cannon. I will not consider it as solid cannon.

When it comes to the Sith, I think there needs to be other types of villians. Most of my novels cover Boba Fett and Mara Jade. When it comes to Jedi and Sith, I think too much of a good thing is bad..

2004-2008
Old 01-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #61
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeodCorp
When it comes to the Sith, I think there needs to be other types of villians. Most of my novels cover Boba Fett and Mara Jade. When it comes to Jedi and Sith, I think too much of a good thing is bad..
I don't understand what you're saying, I doubt you're saying that Mara Jade and Fett are Sith so i'll just say, there aren't any EU Sith during or after the movies because they are extinct.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

Old 01-27-2006, 08:50 PM   #62
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
I don't understand what you're saying, I doubt you're saying that Mara Jade and Fett are Sith so i'll just say, there aren't any EU Sith during or after the movies because they are extinct.
What I am trying to say is that there are a lot of Sith villans. I have read Sith stories in EU, but I mostly read about nonSith characters.. I believe that too much of a good thing, too many stories about Sith and Jedi, could end up being a bad thing. Otherwords, people will just get tired of reading about the Sith or Jedi. Before the 'NJO', most of the EU was covering non-Jedi and non-Sith stories. Not necessarily because of the 'NJO', but in combination with other sotries, EU is now over runned by 'Jedi/Sith' this... Jedi/Sith that...

2004-2008
Old 01-27-2006, 11:10 PM   #63
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
....EU is now over runned by 'Jedi/Sith' this... Jedi/Sith that...
This is mostly because the majority of EU has been set in Old Republic Era or Clone Wars. If you've kept your peepers peeled, there has been some stuff that focuses on others like the progress of young Fett.

It was an inevitability that EU post ROTJ had to address the question of what happens to the jedi order since Luke was the only one left.

For many years the EU was about the Imperial Remnant, with their stupid superweapons, clone emperors, military masterminds, royal guardsman with extraordinary abilities and self proclaimed warlords. The Bounty Hunters have been covered exhaustively in "Tales" novels, and the Bounty Hunter Wars series....

Basically, all the material that could be gleaned from OT characters and concepts has been. If all EU became was a re-hashing of movie formula storylines then SW EU wouldnt exist. The modern era of EU has been going strong for 16 years, and still has a few years left in it yet. Im sure once the TV series comes out, that may generate some new material as well

If LOTF deals with Sith Characters, I hope its done in a way that wont make it sound less plausible. eg, if someone finds a sith holocron or manages to communicate with an established old sith lord, that might be easier to swallow. Coming up with a new Sith Lord out nowhere would suck, IMO. I'd rather the jedi have a full blown civil war than resurrect old sith lords anyway

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-28-2006, 07:55 AM   #64
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

MacLeodCorp, there are not alot of Sith villans, there are Dark Jedi but there are few Sith in the EU because post Bane there were only two at any one time and they didn't do anything, and post movies they were extinct.

- Halo_92

Old 01-28-2006, 08:30 AM   #65
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
MacLeodCorp, there are not alot of Sith villans, there are Dark Jedi but there are few Sith in the EU because post Bane there were only two at any one time and they didn't do anything, and post movies they were extinct.
This is correct.

sounds like Macleod needs to be schooled re- the sith.

Ive copy'n'pasted this from a post I made in another area:

90% of sith lords have only been revealed in EU.

Of the republic era sith lords, there are only
*Bane
*Zannah
> > > hasnt been elaborated if there were any between here. *Millenial excluded from this line as he worked outside the rule of Two)
*Plagueis
*Sidious
*Maul
*Tyranus
*Vader

Pre Darth Bane, it is a hodge podge of Dark Side force users, enslaved aliens and armies which are led by these dark side force user : these all bear the name "sith" throughout various Old republic Era comics and the KOTOR games. If it wasnt for Bane, the sith wouldnt have existed long enough for sidious to dominate the galaxy. Also dont forget, the character of Darth Bane is a creation of George Lucas', not some fanboy at Bioware or DarkHorse comix

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #66
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
This type of study is one of useless knowledge. I read novels and books because they are entertaining. I thank god that I don't know everything about Star Wars. When knowing about Star Wars gets me a $100,000 a year job, then I will pay a lot more attention to the details.

2004-2008
Old 01-30-2006, 06:50 AM   #67
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
This type of study is one of useless knowledge. I read novels and books because they are entertaining. I thank god that I don't know everything about Star Wars. When knowing about Star Wars gets me a $100,000 a year job, then I will pay a lot more attention to the details.
lolz@Batman.

If the "details" of SW dont interest you then its probably a bad idea to hang around in the EU forum !! Expanded universe implies extra detail

Anyway, this is a thread about Dark Nest - lets get back on topic !

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 08-15-2006, 12:59 AM   #68
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Maybe this thread should be unstuck now see as the dark nest series has been and gone for awhile?

Darth_Terros is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2006, 08:58 PM   #69
Davinq
I wear a fez now

Current Game: Portal
And so has NJO Terros, but it isn't unstuck for the sake of new readers like me; I'm getting DN trilogy next week.

Davinq is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2006, 01:09 AM   #70
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Qel-Droma
And so has NJO Terros, but it isn't unstuck for the sake of new readers like me; I'm getting DN trilogy next week.
but thats like saying there should be a sticky for the jedi academy trilogy or the thrawn trilogy just because some people might not have read them.

it just clutters up the Eu forum with threads hardly anyone uses any more.

Darth_Terros is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #71
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Well, since there are hardly ever any new threads, I don't see how things are getting more cluttered.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #72
Davinq
I wear a fez now

Current Game: Portal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Terros
but thats like saying there should be a sticky for the jedi academy trilogy or the thrawn trilogy just because some people might not have read them.

it just clutters up the Eu forum with threads hardly anyone uses any more.
Heh, ever notice it's just the newer book series' that are "cluttering up" the forum?

Davinq is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2006, 07:05 PM   #73
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
^^^^
I created a thread for Timothy Zahn. Eventhough it is not a sticky, there is still a thread for his older novels.

I bought the 'Dark Nest' Trilogy when it first came out, but I never got around to read them. I have been scanning over this thread to see what is up. I am not a NJO follower.

If I have never read an NJO book in my life, would that series be necessary for me to enjoy this one?

2004-2008
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Expanded Universe > The Dark Nest Trilogy [spoiler tags plz]