lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dialog question -- copy/paste between .dlg files?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-26-2006, 04:21 AM   #1
sigsgev
Lurker

Dialog question -- copy/paste between .dlg files?

Hi all

I was wondering if there's any tool that allows copy/paste of dialog nodes between DLG files. If there's a way right under my nose that I am missing, please consider this a noob question .

Thanks
sigsgev is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2006, 04:47 AM   #2
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsgev
Hi all

I was wondering if there's any tool that allows copy/paste of dialog nodes between DLG files. If there's a way right under my nose that I am missing, please consider this a noob question .

Thanks
Tragically, no. tk102 doesn't use the Windows clipboard for his *.dlg editor - unlike with K-GFF. For this reason, you cannot copy between dialogue files. You could post a feature request in his thread here.

I don't know how likely a reply is, tk102 hasn't been around in a while.

Edit: Ugh! I can't believe I forgot to mention this. Open up your dialogues in K-GFF, it will look a bit strange, don't worry. Scroll down to the entry you wish to copy and paste it into the other file. It is not a precise art.

Last edited by Pavlos; 08-26-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos
Ugh! I can't believe I forgot to mention this. Open up your dialogues in K-GFF, it will look a bit strange, don't worry. Scroll down to the entry you wish to copy and paste it into the other file. It is not a precise art.
If you do it this way, don't forget to update the TypeID of the structs after you've pasted them into the EntryList or ReplyList to the next free value, and to update the RepliesList (within the EntryList structs) and EntriesList (within the ReplyList structs) index fields to point to the new values, or your copied nodes may become orphaned and not part of the dialog tree.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #4
sigsgev
Lurker

Thanks
sigsgev is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
sigsgev - I considered adding this feature but it soon became clear how much headache would be involved doing so.

- Each node in the pasted branch would have to be renumbered
- Each link would have to reflect the renumbering
- Recursive references would have to be retested/added if the copied branch normally ended with "(Already listed)"
- Module-level script references copied to the new dialog may not fire correctly

The above is not impossible to accomplish, I just got discouraged as complexity revealed itself piece by piece and decided to work on other things.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center > Dialog question -- copy/paste between .dlg files?