lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Gamepad Advice
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-27-2006, 01:21 AM   #1
ferris209
Rookie

Gamepad Advice

I know I'm late to this race, but I just bought Jedi Knight: Outcast and I am seeking some recommendations for a gamepad.
ferris209 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
toms
v0.9

a mouse and keyboard.... ?

Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Talk to Lathain Valtiel and/or Vagabond (aka Nomad).

They both have at one time (or still do) use joystick setups to play the JK series. Think rudder pedals and dual flight sticks!

It's possible with training, though most use keyboard and mouse combo.

Remember Jedi Outcast was ported to Xbox and Gamecube, just as Jedi Academy was ported to Xbox, so some players have little choice in what controls they use.

The gamepads I have wouldn't really be adequate to play JK2, as they're Gravis Xterminator pads (more suited to old school arcade and console games).

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2006, 04:04 AM   #4
ferris209
Rookie

Alright then, I use the mouse and keyboard, I just thought it would be easier to use a gamepad, but oh well.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:39 AM   #5
toms
v0.9

The gamepad I use on my PC is actually my gamecube one.. with a a cheap, couple of dollar USB adaptor. Its better than any similarly priced PC gamepad i've seen.

However for FPS games like these I think most people would agree that a Mouse/Keyboard combo is much better and more accurate.. though if you are used to console controllers then the " mouse freelook" experience can be kind of confusing for a while.

Personally i'd suggest learning the mouse/keyboard options if you are going to do much PC gaming.. but if you would rather use a gamepad, and have an xbox, ps2 or gamecube already, then you might want to grab a cheap usb adaptor and use te controller you already know. You'll probably loose in multiplayer though..

Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
It might be easier, it all depends. You don't need as much precision (arguably) for saber fighting as you do for say, aiming your gun. That's why you have so many third person type action games that work decently on consoles that usually rely on gamepads, and so many successful FPS games on PC using the mouse.

The thing is, the JK series is somewhat tricky for console adaptation, because most players like to bind all their force powers to hotkeys, which ends up using up a lot of buttons. So you really need an extraordinary setup to make it worth your while. If you just have your typical PS2 style clone controller for the PC, chances are you'll be limited just by the lack of buttons to cover all your abilities, even if you can aim successfully with an analog stick or something.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2006, 05:05 PM   #7
ferris209
Rookie

I guess I'll just use the Keyboard+mouse combo, I've played a bunch of games that way and I can adapt pretty quick. It sounds like the best option at this point.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Gamepad Advice