lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mon Calamari Frigate
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-04-2006, 10:26 AM   #81
ghost665_uk
Rookie

you know one thing i find odd about mon cal ships is the fact that they are basically converted passenger ships, how can they stand up against a war ship?, you see examples of converted civilian ships during ww1 and ww2 yet they are no way able to stand up against a war ship of that period.

stirkes me that the rebellion should be hit and run, not able to go up head on with the empire, yet mon cal vessels seem to be equals of there imperial counterparts, just seems odd to me.

"The Price Of Freedom Is Eternal Vigilance."

-- Thomas Jefferson
ghost665_uk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #82
Darth Anarch

Not quite. If you look at the roleplaying statistics for both Mon Cal cruisers and Star Destroyers you'd see that while the Mon Cal cruisers were more manoeuvreable and had more shields, the Star Destroyer beat it hands-down in the areas of hull armour and weapons.

Now, while this is perfectly OK in the movies and such, it would suck to play the Rebels in a computer game if the biggest and best of your ships could be squashed like bugs by the Empire. So therefore the Mon Cal cruisers (and the other Rebel ships) were beefed up to make battles more interesting. In any conflict between gameplay and realism you have to let gameplay win, otherwise it won't be much fun.

"We think in language; therefore, the quality of our thoughts can only be as good as the quality of our language."

-- George Carlin
Darth Anarch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2006, 11:45 AM   #83
ghost665_uk
Rookie

yeah guess so, this is the problem with EaW its an empire building game so can't really repressent the rebels as rebels but just another faction bulding an empire, if you get what i mean. Though i hold high hopes for EaW2 if petro decide to do one.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #84
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

I think the fact that they were originally passenger ships has been ignored over time, since apparntly, the majority of the blisters on a Mon Cal ship are cluster bombs and turret placements....

Waking up.
HerbieZ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #85
ghost665_uk
Rookie

after the fall of the empire, did mon cals become passenger liners again?, i mean as primary purpose, were new mon cals built for civilian market, or did they just build warships?

just curious really.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #86
Valter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost665_uk
Though i hold high hopes for EaW2 if petro decide to do one.
I can't say for sure but I think this is the last update to EAW. I don't think they will release a sequel because they have already covered all of the Galactic Civil War timeline (excluding the Thrawn conflict). If they do release a sequel it certainly won't have anything to do with the Yuuzhan Vaughn War because only the most hardcore of fans even know what the Yuuzhan Vaughn are. If there was a sequel it would probably cover the Clone Wars simply because so many fans are whining about it.

This is the second time things have drifted off-topic.

"You will pay the price for your lack of vision!" - Palpatine
Valter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2006, 12:45 PM   #87
ghost665_uk
Rookie

think of all the command and conquers, majority are the same just upgraded graphics and new abilities, EaW2 could be the same, or they may even try and do something slightly larger in scale with more depth diplomacy etc...

well even if EaW2 never happens i don't think we have seen the last of ground/space combat rts/strategy games

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-04-2006, 01:35 PM   #88
jedi jim 1989
Rookie

well im reading the eu books, at the moment im readin dark saber which is 8 and a half years after ep 6, and they are still trying to rebuild the new republic, the mon calamarians are still making war ships for them, and the new republic (the rebels took over couruscant etc) are trying to hold off the remanents of the empire ad well as other people/organisations
jedi jim 1989 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Forces of Corruption > Mon Calamari Frigate