In its quest to make Windows an all pervasive entity, MS has now launched Windows Live OneCare, aiming to provide an 'all in one' solution to pc safety. Read more below. Click the link to download the beta version(nb. will only work with Genuine Copy/Install of Windows XP SP2/Vista RC1/RC2 Only)
As per the Official Live OneCare Site
What is Windows Live OneCare?
An all-in-one PC care service that’s always on, helping provide persistent protection against viruses, hackers, and other threats, and helping keep your PC tuned up and your important documents backed up.
What Windows Live OneCare does for you
• Runs quietly in the background, providing anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall protection
• Activates Phishing Filter in Internet Explorer 7 to help block or warn against identity theft or online scams
• Updates itself to help you keep ahead of the latest threats
• Runs regular tune-ups to help optimize the performance of your PC
• Provides one-click resolutions for any actions that you may need to take
• Makes backups to a variety of devices a breeze
• Lets you see the status of your system at a glance
In which countries can I use Windows Live OneCare?
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, UK, US.
What operating systems are supported?
Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista (build 5500 or greater; recommended build is 5600 aka RC1 or 5744 aka RC2). OneCare is currently not available for x64 operating systems..
Where can I learn more about the Windows Live OneCare Beta (v1.5)?
Please visit http://ideas.live.com/
I'm running this on a Vista RC2 machine but not my xp machines. Sure it eliminates the needs for third party apps, but Im not 100% sure I like that!
Please note - the beta is FREE but once Live OneCare goes 'live' - most likely with the release of Vista in early 2007,it will involve some type of paid subsription for it's full features