lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Killer Apps, Tweaks & Important Updates!
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Killer Apps, Tweaks & Important Updates!

Sticky clutter reduction note: Killer Apps/ Tips n tricks and important updates threads merged -Astro

Some of the most valued software on my pc are freeware/shareware apps. Not having 3rd party apps to 'right windows wrongs' would be sad indeed....although MS is trying their best, with LiveOneCare and the like...

Just a few RULES for in here:
*PLEASE restrict this discussion to freeware/shareware apps, as we dont want this to become an advertising thread!!

*ONLY link to freeware/shareware sites. Do NOT directly link to another forum. Feel free to mention it and what it can help with

*If you really really want to mention a commercial program(as a comparison for example), mention it by name(do not link to it) and mention that is isnt free.

These are my all time faves. Im interested in hearing about others' fave apps and what they're good for.

My ALL TIME number one 'killer app' is Network Magic. I have a mildly complicated wired+wireless 802.11b/g network and was having alot of grief with the ridiculous windows 'wizards' in xp. This app turned up in a pc magazine and I gave it ago.....It does all the work configuring your modem and suddenly all your devices become apparent It also flawlessly integrated my PDA and PSP when I had them and even played nicely with Vista machines that were thrown into the mix. Here's a screenie of my home network. Highly recommended. Give the free version a trial if youre interested

Second is Avast Antivirus. After living in misery for years with Norton Bloatware Security I went in search of of lighter app that could achieve the task. I came across avast It's great, totally free(home edition) and updates program and virus definitions *very* regularly...which is something you have to pay for in most other proggies. Great for home users IMO. Integrates with outlook/exchange which is very useful to me, and is skinnable !! (has a great looking vista or mac-style skin)

of course I will quickly mention the great freeware proggies Ad-Aware and Spybot though most tech-heads will know about these already

as for fave sites I can never go past Videohelp as the ULTIMATE resource for info and guides about multimedia tools and conversions.

For system builders, I cant start project without plugging specs into eXtreme Outervision's Power Supply Calculator

mtfbwya

NegSun - Edit: Now comes a comprehensive and alphabetical list of all the programs/sites that have been mentioned in this thread, enjoy

7Zip

Ad-Aware

AlienGUIse Desktop Theme Manager

Any Video Converter

ASC Gen.NET

ATI Tray Tools

Avast Antivirus.

AV-Comparatives

AVG Free

AVI Recomp

AVI Trimmer

BurnAware

CCCP

CCleaner

CDisplay

Daemon Tools

DeskSpace.

Dirlot

DNSstuff

DOSBox

Driver Agent

DynDNS

DynAdvance Email Notifier

Email Effects

eXtreme Outervision's Power Supply Calculator

FairUse Wizard

Firefox

Foobar2000

FRAPS

Free Hide Folders

"Get n Set affinity"

Giveaway of the Day

Google Earth

Inkscape

InternetFileSize

IrfanView

ISO Buster

IZArc

K-Lite Codec Pack

KeyTweak

Koepi's XviD Codec

Komodo Edit

Lolifox

Madotate

Maxthon

Media Player Classic

MicroAngelo Icon Editor

Miranda IM

Motherboard Monitor

Network Magic

Notepad++

ObjectDock

OpenOffice.org

Paint.NET

Power Menu

QuickTime Alternative Lite

RAD Video Tools

RAM-Booster

Real Alternative Lite

RealVNC - Virtual Network Computing

Scribus

Site Advisor

Spybot

Sysinternals Monitoring Utilities

Task List Programs

Taskbar Shuffle

TCP Optimizer

Terragen

The Core Media Player

The GIMP

The Open CD

Thunderbird

Tom's Hardware

TreeSize Professional

TUGZip

Ultravnc

Unlocker

uTorrent

Videohelp

VirtualBox

VirtualDub

VirtualDubMod

Vista Codec Pack & Vista x64 components

Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions

VLC media player

WavePad

Winamp

WinCustomize

XP Codec Pack

Zidrav

ZoneAlarm

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 07-06-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Added list of all apps/sites in thread...
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Killer Apps, Tweaks & Important Updates!