lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Animating & hierarchy problem
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-01-2006, 04:46 AM   #1
Botch
Rookie

Animating & hierarchy problem

I'm making a vehicle, using 3ds max 5. I have done all the animations and it's time to do the hierarchy. At the point where I link these bones to skeleton_root, the animations get screwed up.

I know what causes this, it's because the bone's position changes in the animation. All the bones that only do rotating moves still work fine after the linking, but these (the most important ones) get all twisted and such.

Is there any way to avoid this? Or do I have to redesign the whole animation, using only rotating bones? :X
Botch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Wudan
Got Balance?

That's not normal behavior, JKA can rotate AND translate (aka move) bones. Something is going awry during the export/conversion.

Mt-Wudan.com
I made a silly little program called Dragon, which is an animation tool for the GLA format, used in Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy and Krakatoa.
Wudan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
Botch
Rookie

Got the problem solved by NOT linking the bones at all (which was weird imo, thought it wouldn't go through the export).
Botch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2006, 01:06 AM   #4
Psyk0Sith
3D Tech Support

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Problem might be caused by max weird transform behavior, ive had problems when mirroring bones for the AT-TE.

I believe you can hierarchy the bones via the .car file. It should still work fine without any linking/hierarchy tho.

Psyk0Sith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JA Modeling > Animating & hierarchy problem