lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: North Korea says nuclear test successful.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #81
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
The ban on luxury goods is just something to piss off Kim directly. He's famous for living like a king; he's apparently the largest single consumer of Hennessy Cognac in the world.
Unlikely, it will probably be imported across the Chinese border. They've already stated they aren't going to block the flow of good across the PRC-NK border. Another resounding success for the UN.
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #82
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
The mad, bad dictator Kim Jong-il is only doing what his American detractors, Chinese allies and former Russian allies have been getting away with for decades.
Nope, North Korea is far worse. China and Russia don't intentionally starve their own citizens. And, of course, there are things that China and Russia do that Kim doesn't do. China and Russia both occupy land illegally, North Korea doesn't (although it sure as Hell would like to).

Overall, though, I'd say North Korea is about a thousand times worse than China and Russia combined.

Quote:
You know you'd think that super powers such as the US would have learned something from Vietnam, Korea, Iraq and the Gulf war etc. But no nothing. People are still ranting about forcing countries into democrazy in exactly the same way.
On a small scale, too. Anyone hear about that law in Germany that forbade girls from wearing Muslim head-wear because it's considered "oppressive". Which it probably is to certain people, but Hell, you can't force them not to wear it. How free is that?

"You can't force people to be free."

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2006, 12:14 AM   #83
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
On a small scale, too. Anyone hear about that law in Germany that forbade girls from wearing Muslim head-wear because it's considered "oppressive". Which it probably is to certain people, but Hell, you can't force them not to wear it. How free is that?

"You can't force people to be free."
I thought I heard they were contemplating something similar in the UK but I could be wrong.
That really bugs me, though, because it's an obvious violation of freedom of religion.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2006, 02:14 AM   #84
Nancy Allen``
Banned

I hate this, I really do, but I get nervous when I see Muslims at airports. You cannot help but think of September 11, which is probably part of the reason those Al Qaeda ****s did it in the first place, to make Muslims the target of suspecion.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2006, 04:27 AM   #85
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
Bullocks! That whole thing was originally about a muslimic teacher who wanted to wear a (muslimic) headscarf in school but was told not to do it and the discussion was about the question if teachers should be allowed to wear/propose religious "crap" in school or not.
It then went on to something like should headscarfs (by religious means) be "banned" from school? But as far as I know, there is no such law for girls, especially not outside of school. Besides, there was a discussion about getting rid of the cross in classrooms, too (err, but we usually don't have crosses in school anyway, but some schools have, especially in Bavaria, where this all came from).

So, talking about freedom? Yes, because school and religion -> no.

Ray Jones is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2006, 05:32 AM   #86
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
I meant in school. Should've been more specific.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2006, 05:47 AM   #87
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
But you were *not*!

Ray Jones is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #88
sockerbit89
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur
^^^
I disagree. The political situations of NK and China are very similar. Same utter disregard for human rights. Same cult-of-personality surrounding heads of state. The main differences are that NK is even more hard-line, and that China figured out how to make themselves more valuable to the outside world by flooding it with a bunch of cheap products of reasonable quality produced by near-slave labor and using the proceeds to feed their military build-up.
No.

It's true China has to work harder when it comes to human rights and a functioning democrazy. But to compare it with the worst dictatorship in the world is just plain wrong. Have you been to China in the last 30 years? Alot have happened since Mao you know. China is by no means whatsoever a communist state anylonger.

Also 1/4 of the entier world population is chinese of course their economy is racing why shouldn't it?
sockerbit89 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 AM   #89
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
It's true China has to work harder when it comes to human rights and a functioning democrazy. But to compare it with the worst dictatorship in the world is just plain wrong. Have you been to China in the last 30 years? Alot have happened since Mao you know.
You're right. A lot HAS happened in the past 30 years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananm...otests_of_1989
If this is this what you call working harder when it comes to human rights, then in that context I guess I would have to agree with you . A functioning democracy?
Quote:
China is by no means whatsoever a communist state anylonger.
You're right. It's a capitalist oligarchy.
Quote:
Also 1/4 of the entier world population is chinese of course their economy is racing why shouldn't it?
Because only a small minority benefits from the near-slavery of the vast majority of the population.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2006, 11:43 AM   #90
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockerbit89
According to the [URL=http://www.prb.org]Population Reference Bureau[/QUOTE] the population of China is currently 1.3 billion while the population of the world is 6.5 billion. When I do the math I come up with 20% of the world's population living in China. So 1 in 5 people live in China, not 1 in 4.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2006, 08:15 AM   #91
sockerbit89
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutmeister
According to the Population Reference Bureau the population of China is currently 1.3 billion while the population of the world is 6.5 billion. When I do the math I come up with 20% of the world's population living in China. So 1 in 5 people live in China, not 1 in 4.
Sorry I have extremly bad memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilveur
You're right. It's a capitalist oligarchy.
Yes. My point: NK is totally diffrent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilveur
Because only a small minority benefits from the near-slavery of the vast majority of the population
Yes but atleast people don't have to eat eachother to survive. The social injustices in China isn't anything compared to what's happening in North Korea.
sockerbit89 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-19-2006, 08:25 AM   #92
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
OK, now I see your point: China has progressed where NK has remained stagnant. True.

If you read my previous posts, then you know that I believe that China will be instrumental in resolving this crisis peacefully.

Last edited by Q; 10-19-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2006, 10:36 AM   #93
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I knew it.

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/Top...howbyline=True

See? He's already backing down. You can all now stop breathing into paper bags.
Don't have to GOGOGO get 'em now.

Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2006, 06:35 AM   #94
Windu Chi
Banned

Question

Quote:
I knew it.
Yeah, whatever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceMacLeod
http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/Top...howbyline=True

See? He's already backing down. You can all now stop breathing into paper bags.
Don't have to GOGOGO get 'em now.
We will see: tick, tock, tick, tock, tick...
Windu Chi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #95
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Yeah, whatever!
Why do you think I wasn't the one demanding to invade North Korea, Mr. "The UN are cowards because they aren't blowing the place up right now"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
But even Kim, like the guy in Iran, must know that any attack on US allies or the US itself using nukes will result in the complete and utter annihilation of their own country and population. You really think they're that foolish?
And also windu6, I'm curious about which branch of the US military you're in. Are you in the army, navy, air force or marines?

Old 10-21-2006, 07:40 PM   #96
Nancy Allen``
Banned

Also rank, unit, any field experience would be most interesting, and I'm not using a drop of sarcasm, I'd very much like to hear about it.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2006, 05:22 AM   #97
Windu Chi
Banned

Cool Guy

Quote:
And also windu6, I'm curious about which branch of the US military you're in. Are you in the army, navy, air force or marines?
If I was in the army I will probably be dead in Iraq as cannon fodder, the only navy I will join is a interstellar navy, I was going to join the air force when I was 18 yrs old but s**t happens.

Last edited by windu6; 10-23-2006 at 06:12 AM.
Windu Chi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #98
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

^^Well, you just seemed to be so eager for war that I figured you might actually want to be a part of it. Funny how all the actual soldiers and military personell I've met and known over the years aren't quite as gung-ho.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > North Korea says nuclear test successful.