lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Units I have yet to find a use for
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
YertyL

Units I have yet to find a use for

I just find that some units in the game aren't really useful, however feel free to correct me - maybe I just haven't been creative enough...

-Dark Trooper phase 1: seems just like a downgraded TIE-mauler to me: far more costly, slightly slower, can't overrun infantry, less damage, no ranged attack and even weaker against plexies
My suggestion would be to make the DT1 more like a super-stormtrooper, that is strong against normal infantry and plexies and weak against T2B, T4B etc.

-transports generally, especially the juggernaught: While the rebel and ZC transport both allow infantry sneak attacks, which despite being pretty situational and hard to organize (at least compared to normal attack-move tactics) have their use. The imperial juggernaught however is neither fast nor sneaky, it's not even a good cover for your infantry because it doesn't even take much of a beating (and your infantry becomes useless while inside and is normally cheap anyway) and the juggernaught's combat abilities are less than that of a TIE mauler which costs a quarter of its prize.

-Dark Trooper phase 3(partially): While I think that the DT3 is an extremly cool and often useful unit, I have found that in most cases an AT-AT (which costs about the same and is available 2 tech grades before the DT3) outperforms him. Yes, the DT3 is far more manouverable and can shoot air units, but the AT-AT's ability to take far more of a beating and spam stormies most often is worth more than being able to jetpack.
Also, the DT3 gets owned by pulse tanks, which it should counter (according to its description)

-interdictors (Who'd have thought that? ) There is no doubt that the ability to prevent an enemy fleet from fleeing can be useful, however that first requires you to win the battle, at which the interdictor fails. Its combat abilities are close to zero, and most often it isn't worth the pop cap and money to have a ship that can only do what you can achieve anway by destroying the enemy ship's engines.
ATM the interdictor is relatively good against fighters (for a cap ship).I'd find it interesting if the interdictor was improved in that area and could perform as a capital anti-fighter ship, giving the empire a truly unique unit.

-TIE scout and TIE phantom: Both of these have only slight advantages over the standard TIE fighter, of which you get dozens and dozens per battle for free, and thus are really not worth the money and pop cap.
My suggestion would be to make the TIE scout (and possibly TIE phantom as well) take no pop cap in tactical battles; Like R2-D2 and C3PO a ship that cannot really fight should not force you to limit other ships that can.
For my idea for the TIE phantom let me quote Wookiepedia:
Quote:
The greatest advantage of that craft was that they had a built in mechanism that allowed the pilot to fire its lasers at any time, and have the device automatically shut off and turn back on after every volley. This in effect allowed the TIE Phantom to be virtually invisible 99 percent of the time.
I'd find it cool if this was implemented in the game, making the TIE phantom able to shoot and cloak automatically right after that, making him a unique craft good for sneak attacks on enemy bombers (the time of cloaking should still be limited though)

-ZC nightsisters. While they have the potential to be very cool and unique units (infantry tanks that can heal themselves), they are just too slow to do any damage - especially when you're up against a human player who micromanages intelligently; The canderous tank wins in almost every aspect against the nightsister, being far faster, having a ranged attack that can penetrate shields (which the nightsisters' rancors ironically don't), regenerating as well (shielded) and costing the same or less (with control of Mandalore)
Nightsisters just need to be a bit faster and more manouverable.

Perhaps I'll add more units later, however ATM I'd like to hear your thoughts...

Last edited by YertyL; 11-15-2006 at 02:19 PM.
YertyL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Forces of Corruption > Units I have yet to find a use for