lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Do capital ship turrets DO anything?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Solo4114

Do capital ship turrets DO anything?

I managed to shoot down a fighter once with the machine-gun-like turret. Aside from that, they seem pretty much useless, especially the heavy beam turrets that shoot the single death-star-like beam. Those things do basically nothing.

Plus, the range on them doesn't seem long enough to hit other ships and if they do hit, they sure don't seem to be doing any damage. IE: you can't hurt a frigate with the entire firepower of a cruiser.
Solo4114 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
BinaryZero
Rookie

I have occasionally seen the shield damage animation when shooting at the opposing capital ship with a turret, but the amount of damage is so negligible as to be pointless. Usually anything other than the front-most turret on the ship (and this is assuming the ships are head-to-head) won't even have the reach to show the animation.

I've had a middling degree of success with all of the other varieties of turret though... with good aim the beam turret can drop an A-Wing or X-Wing in two or three hits.
BinaryZero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Solo4114

The beam turret seems to be the most useless to me. It'd be perfect vs. enemy capital ships, but hitting three times on an enemy fighter? Good luck. That thing will be long gone if it's being flown by a human pilot.

the "machine gun" turret seems to do reasonably well vs. fighters, but the damage is again pretty low.

Mostly, the turrets seem pretty pointless and I hardly ever see bombers attacking cap ships anyway. You're better off using a few interceptors around the capital ship to take out bombers, which seems to be what everyone does anyway.

>sigh< Another disappointing aspect of space combat in this game.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
zerted
Click Center of Circle: O

Put your AI on elite. Those turrets WILL take you out if you're nearby and not moving randomly around at different speeds.

The turrets can be very powerful.

(I may not agree with thoughts posted under this name)
Looking for a mature clan? Checkout www.rdhclan.net
email/PM me for more info
zerted is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
the ai is horrible tho
they sproticly change from uber sharpshooter who hs you at 100000000000000000000 miles away while your bunny hopping to a 1st grader with a heavy assult rifle ie they cant do crap with it

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
Findannus
Lurker

The machine gun turret is great if you want to rack up kills easily - just keep the turret aimed at your oponents docking bay, and you can eaily nail every single ship that leaves. You might need to practice with the gun to get used to it, but it's fairly effective, just don't forget to zoom in.

It's a pretty cheap tactic though, and is usually frowned upon.
Findannus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
Solo4114

I had no idea you could even zoom with the guns. I still think the beam one is pretty pointless, and the slow laser one sucks. The machinegun is probably the only useful one. Eh, space combat seems a little overly hyperactive to me anyway.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:40 AM   #8
TSR
Hoist the colours!

Current Game: Rift
Forum Veteran LF Jester Helpful! 
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt
the ai is horrible tho
they sproticly change from uber sharpshooter who hs you at 100000000000000000000 miles away while your bunny hopping to a 1st grader with a heavy assult rifle ie they cant do crap with it
in english please?
actually, the turrets cause me quite a bit of grief, so i just head into their hangar using a transport or bomber (lots of armour) and blow the auto turret defence up from inside. doesnt kill all of them, but they dont cause a problem after that.
TSR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
TsavongLah
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_tyrant
in english please?
actually, the turrets cause me quite a bit of grief, so i just head into their hangar using a transport or bomber (lots of armour) and blow the auto turret defence up from inside. doesnt kill all of them, but they dont cause a problem after that.
In elitism please?
He spelled one word incorrectly.
TsavongLah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #10
Davinq
I wear a fez now

Current Game: Portal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findannus
The machine gun turret is great if you want to rack up kills easily - just keep the turret aimed at your oponents docking bay, and you can eaily nail every single ship that leaves. You might need to practice with the gun to get used to it, but it's fairly effective, just don't forget to zoom in.

It's a pretty cheap tactic though, and is usually frowned upon.
Unless they're playing CIS, they can just go out the other side

Davinq is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
EliteHeadHunter
Rookie

Capital ship turrets are effective in the hands of a hardened veteran. Repeating Blaster Turrets (the machine gun type ones) are most effective at destroying enemy Multi-Purpose Starfighters and Scout Class Fighters. Heavy Ship Cannons / Heavy Turrets are best employed against enemy shields and emplacements, and Particle Cannon Turrets are best against Attack Transport Flyers and Bombers. Defend your Auto-Turret Defense Mainframe as well. The auto turrets are excellent against most classes.

"The bigger they are, the harder they fall."

Join the Elite Imperial Guard! We must defend the Emperor!
EliteHeadHunter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2007, 05:37 PM   #12
Grey Master
Firecracker

Another thread resurrestion.....tsk tsk
And the turrets are useful if you know how to fire them correctly.
Grey Master is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #13
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

More thread resurrections.....

I've never found the turrets to be very useful. If you really want to rack up kills, then take a marine to the enemy capital ship, and just run around killin everybody in there. It's especially effective if you have the Elite Rifle.

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront II > Bug Reports/Requests/Game Feedback > Do capital ship turrets DO anything?