lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Anyone try the new JKE? (Jedi Knight Enhanced)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Thumbs up Anyone try the new JKE? (Jedi Knight Enhanced)

It's supposed to still be compatible with "vanilla" JK online, and I imagine with MotS (just rename the Gob to a Goo file and load it up)!

I haven't tried it since version .8, but 1.0 is out now (as of Jan 31st).

http://jkhub.net/project/show.php?pr...on=screenshots

For those who haven't followed it, it's a mod that works with JK1 (and MotS) that replaces the models, textures and sprites for Single and Multiplayer (most of them anyway) with higher poly and higher res textures, making it have a look more like modern games.

Check it out!

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #2
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Verily, yea, I have seen the face of God.

Everyone get this. Now. Even if you don't have JK, get it.

Need Help? massage message me
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
Kurgan
Headhunter

Hehe.

Just make sure you install the latest unofficial patch properly, or the ST Rifle, new Rail Detonator and Veamon skin will look wrong!

Sadly, the patch isn't (yet) MotS compatible, so those errors will still linger in the mod if you use it in MotS.

I love that it's compatible online though (you can play with others regardless of if they have the mod installed or not!).

Just keep in mind if you want others to see the other "bonus skins" (like Boc, Maw, Stormtrooper commander, etc) everyone needs JKE installed...

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 03-06-2007, 04:07 AM   #4
Ham Yoyo

I just now found out about this mod. I didn't know anything about it until I found out at Massassi that it has been released. I will soon download it. If it works like I think it will it will breath new life into this old game. I haven't played JK in close to 5 years because the graphics were so old and out of date. But this mod just might be worth it weight in gold. I also have countless addon SP JK levels burnt to a CD that I saved a few years ago. If JK looks even close to JO and JA like the screenshots I looked at I'm going to be one happy Jedi.

My dream, to watch Imperial ships explode in my gunsights.
Ham Yoyo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

I (briefly) tried it this morning, and I think it's really great. It's a very neat experience to play the classic JK with polished models. Only bug I found is that the skins don't show up properly in the MP character creation menu. Not a big deal though.

The next step would be to make a massive texture overhaul for the levels. It feels a bit odd to play with the great character models in a pixelated environment.

~Dark Cupcake of the Sith
DarthMuffin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
Nitty
Lurker

Muffin, the skins in the multiplayer menu are bugged for me as well. glad i'm not the only one.
Nitty is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2007, 01:52 AM   #7
Ham Yoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMuffin
I (briefly) tried it this morning, and I think it's really great. It's a very neat experience to play the classic JK with polished models. Only bug I found is that the skins don't show up properly in the MP character creation menu. Not a big deal though.

The next step would be to make a massive texture overhaul for the levels. It feels a bit odd to play with the great character models in a pixelated environment.
I agree. It still has that dated look. Also wherever you shoot a bad guy it always takes a few hit to bring him down. I miss in JO and JA where you can shoot a bad guy in the head, stomach or arm and he has a different reaction to each one. But the JKE will get me back to playing it a little but not all the time like I did when it was new.

My dream, to watch Imperial ships explode in my gunsights.
Ham Yoyo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
JKLE_Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitty
Muffin, the skins in the multiplayer menu are bugged for me as well. glad i'm not the only one.
the reason for this is that the main menu is in 256 colors while the models are in 16 bit colors :/

JKLE one of the last active JK and MotS clans out there jkle.jkdf2.net
Legends return one last time
JKLE_Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #9
hhunter6
Rookie

I love this mod for JK!!! i have always loved DFJK and with the new graphics done by shred it just makes me want to play the game more. I have one question though. has anyone tried the renaming the gob to goo files and seen how it works/looks with MOTS? interested in seeing if it totally transfers over or if some models are left out and are still the orginals? let me know
hhunter6 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
JKLE_Cougar

yes you can do this and it works

only problem is that some models are not updated

Old 06-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLE_Cougar
yes you can do this and it works

only problem is that some models are not updated
Right. Two models were done using a different technique from all the rest, and so they look messed up in MotS running under JKE... the Veamon's torso texture and the Rail Detonator skin. There was a MotS patched released awhile back that was supposed to fix this, but it didn't for me.

Also, if you pick a MotS model that isn't in JK, then your "weapon hand" (right fist) will be invisible with a weapon floating there.

The MotS specific weapons, models, etc are not replaced. Also, the "Sequencer Charge" mines appear in your hand as normal, even though JKE has them replaced.

Otherwise though it works great!

I can't wait for people to start working on mods to replace some more of the stuff so it looks less like Jedi Outcast...

It sounds like Shred is not going to work on MotS. The project is "done" as is.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #12
hhunter6
Rookie

well i'll have to give this a shot then. how do i go about using the mod for MOTS? so do i pretty much follow the read me for JKE and just install the patch in the MOTS folder? then rename the GOB file? thats a shame that shred is not going to work on a total conversion for MOTS, he did a awesome job with JK. i would like to see that one done though. i do love playing those two games. i saw on JKHUB that someone was updating the levels of JK to make them cleaner. that looks promising too. has anyone heard anything more on it?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #13
Kurgan
Headhunter

Download JKE. Rename the gob to goo. Then fire it up.

I forget which is easier, running it via Patch Commander or running it from a batch file (bat file), or just tossing it in the folder so it runs automatically with MotS.

Anyway, one method you use makes the game crash if you try to edit your multiplayer characters, so be sure you set them up in regular vanilla MotS BEFORE you run the mod. (another method you use, you can edit your players, but they'll just look like a rainbow colored mess in the preview, but fine in game, just like running JKE with JK).

If you apply the MotS unofficial patch (also available from jkhub.net) it may run better, but I didn't notice a difference.

The complete directions for installing the mod is included in the readme. I can't explain it any better than they do.

After you've done that and if you still have problems post here and I'll fix everything.

The guy isn't interested in working on MotS. Technically he didn't even finish the JK one, since he didn't want to replace WeeGee or the AT-AT or the Stormtrooper transport. But he said it was "good enough" and that's all the work he's willing to put into it.

MotS has a whole new set of models, so it would take at least as long, with one guy doing it as the JKE one took (and since there aren't many equivalents in Jedi Outcast/Academy you'd have to use your imagination more... he claims he didn't import any models directly from those games, only used them as a guide when creating his).

Making the levels "cleaner"? In what sense?

I haven't heard a thing. If it's not posted on JKhub, then I don't know how you'd find out unless you talk to the editors yourself.

Note: each of the JKhub project pages has a "forum" connected with it, and you can go there and ask them yourself.

Basically we don't have a lot of people from there posting here, so we don't really know what goes on. One has to venter there to find out. I don't mean to say that in a mean way, but that seems to be how it's been going.

The JK/MotS editing community seems to pretty much stick to the site it originates from and rarely do they venture out. Our site was a haven for JK/MotS back in the day, but somewhere along the line it seems like other than a few holdouts (like your's truly), it's mainly attracted people interested in Jedi Outcast & Academy, or other games for those forums associated with them.

Pity, but I realize we can't be the center of everything. Let them have their community.

Go forth and report back what you find!

Old 06-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #14
hhunter6
Rookie

ok cool. i'll have to give it a shot once i get my comp back up. just got done moving so have to put it back together. luckly i have the net at work so i can play all day so to speak. but the other mod i was talking about was the Jedi knight retexture pack. basicly form what little shots are on there he is reworking the levels to give them an updated look. thats what i meant by cleaner. that was the word that poped into my head anyway. its being done by Zwier Zak. though he hasn't posted much since April. but i have to say when i found out that Shred was redo the original JK i excited. he may have left a few things out but the mod is still a damn good one though. has anyone for JKHUB talked about doing a MOTSE that you have heard of?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
Kurgan
Headhunter

Well one guy posted some screenshots (not sure if he's planning to release them, I begged him to) of his redo of the revive, TD belt, bacta tank and Sequencer mine stack which to me looked much better, more in the spirit of JK (rather than just a copy of JK2/JA or like the mines just stacked without the "clamp").

But apart from people begging Shred to do MotS (and him declining) I don't know. If it's not mentioned on JKHUB.net, then I guess we won't know...

Old 06-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #16
hhunter6
Rookie

well maybe one day someone will pick up that mod. i've been wanting to get into modding and such but with the move and all its been slow. hopefully soon though
Old 06-26-2007, 11:15 PM   #17
JKLE_Cougar

give it a shot tho the JK community is always willing to get new modders out there

Old 06-27-2007, 04:32 AM   #18
HertogJan
Beer is good for you!

I downloaded JKE and I like it! However, I'm really dissapointed with the lightsaber. Does anyone have the Glowsaber 3 mod on his computer? I can't find it anywhere on the net

HertogJan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2007, 07:45 PM   #19
JKLE_Cougar

i cant find it either...... if you find it could you send it to me?

Old 06-27-2007, 10:29 PM   #20
MikeGunther1969
Rookie

Location: 5 Miles north of the Preppie-Snobbotorium called Annapolis, MD
Okay, it's been a while since I installed Add-on files for jk/mots. I can't get the bloody thing to work. Can someone please help me?

I need step by step directions on where to put what files to get this thing up & running.

Somebody please HBO (help a brother out) so's I can plays zis games,!!

"Every time my fingers touch brain, I'm the guns of the navarone...I'm superfly TNT..."

- Jules Winfield , Pulp Fiction
MikeGunther1969 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2007, 11:53 PM   #21
JKLE_Cougar

what kind of addon files?

Levels?
Mods?
Patches?

Old 06-28-2007, 04:10 AM   #22
HertogJan
Beer is good for you!

Just extract the JKE files to your Jedi Knight\JKE directory (which youll have to make). Then you have to make a shortcut to:

"X:\<LOCATION>\Jedi Knight\jk.exe" -path JKE

And run the shortcut. Alternatively, you could use Patch Commander, available from this location @ Massassi.net.

Oh and I'm still looking for Glowsaber, since the flashsaber mod I'm currently using is making me dizzy. And the rest of all the saber mods are just plain crap.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #23
JKLE_Cougar

I'll ask on massassi but they will probably just yell at me lol

Old 07-12-2007, 05:47 AM   #24
HertogJan
Beer is good for you!

Yeah, Glowsaber 3 is online again :-)

http://www.jkhub.net/library/index.p...:Glowsaber_3.0

Got the link from someone at the Massassi boards.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #25
JKLE_Cougar

open your eyes it posted it here that i was on jkhub -_-

lol

but seriously thanks for the direct link

Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #26
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie

Hey Guys. I need a little helping installing the patch and the mod itself. I've downloaded both, and I believe I did the patch correctly, but when I get to the Enhancement itself, I cannot find the JKE.bat or Jedi Knight directory. If anyone could help, I'd be, very, very grateful.

Founder & PR of EUCantina.net -- All Expanded Universe, all the time
Son of Skywalker15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 AM   #27
hhunter6
Rookie

ok i tried setting up MOTS to run off JKE. and i couldn't get it to work. i renamed the gob file to goo. i installed the MOTS patch that i got off jkhub. and nothing worked. i tried running it off the JKE batch but still nothing. so what should i do now?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #28
Kurgan
Headhunter

When you say it "doesn't work" what precisely do you mean? Do you mean the new models just don't show up, or does MotS refuse to load? Do you get an error message (if so, what error)?

Note: this won't work with any cracked version of the game, only the original (and the exe file can't be "read only" or the patch won't apply).

As for not finding the bat file, just search for it, and you'll find where it was installed.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #29
hhunter6
Rookie

none of the new models load. i can still open and play the game, just the new models are not in there. i do not get any error messages. so by cracked version what do you mean? i have the original game cd so i'm not sure if that means anything or not. shoul di use the MOTS patch ot the JK patch from the HUB?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #30
Kurgan
Headhunter

Well if you have the original cd then no problem. I just meant that the MotS patch has to use the original EXE file for the game (and therefore you can't use any "no cd" cracks or patches, because those alter the EXE and will make the patch not work).

Use the "Unofficial MotS Patch" from the JKHUB.net site (I believe the sub-site on it is called "Unofficial JK Patch" project.

You apply that patch FIRST and then take the renamed (from gob to goo) JKE (latest version) and it will work.

If it still doesn't, please describe STEP BY STEP exactly how you are installing it, and where MotS is installed on your hard drive and we'll try to help!

Perhaps you should try it in JK first to make sure it's working properly (the JK unofficial patch + JKE). THEN try it in MotS...

Old 08-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #31
hhunter6
Rookie

ok i'll try reenstalling it tonight after work. when i tried it last night i checked my Jk game and it works there. so after i reenstall it i'll see how it works. so i'll let you know
Old 08-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #32
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Yoyo
I agree. It still has that dated look. Also wherever you shoot a bad guy it always takes a few hit to bring him down. I miss in JO and JA where you can shoot a bad guy in the head, stomach or arm and he has a different reaction to each one. But the JKE will get me back to playing it a little but not all the time like I did when it was new.
Just a nitpick, but the "one shot, one kill" stuff really only occurs in Jedi Academy. Jedi Outcast (JK2) had no heat shots, so a shot to the face does the same damage as a shot to the foot. JA was the first and only game in the series to feature area specific damage...

And there are plenty of high damage ways to kill people in one or two hits in JK/MotS anyway, so it's not a big deal, I don't see why people complain.

As for seperate animations of people being hit in different body parts, I'd have to double check all the games again to see about that. I didn't think it really mattered. There's already various pre-set death animation poses in all the games. The only difference was in JA you could enable the experimental "ragdoll" physics (that were a bit buggy in MP), which just affected the way the dead body draped itself around the architecture as it laid there (and how you could keep hitting the dead bodies in SP to make them move around, but not as much as in say, UnrealTech games).

The sheer speed and variety of JK/MotS in multiplayer is what kept me playing it (and would keep me playing it, if I had the time, even over more graphically modern games like Jedi Academy).

The character select thing is goofed because it's a coded thing. The engine renders the character select screen differently than it does the models in gameplay. Despite this, it's pretty easy to tell which character you are, you just don't get to "preview" them in full clarity before you dive into a map with them.

There was also (last I checked) a glitch in the MotS unofficial patch, so that the Rail Detonator and the Veamon chest are goofed up (the Veamon looks like his shirt is torn open, the Rail Detonator looks more plain because it uses the textures from the stock of the gun instead of the whole texture map) when using JKE (these glitches occur in JKE for JK as well, but only if you forgot to apply the JK unofficial patch). Also, you don't see the re-modeled Sequencer Charge (mines) in hand, with JKE MotS, because MotS modified the mines (for the manual detonation option).

The levels really aren't a big deal, but yes, some of the wall textures are pixelated. Still, the action is so fast, unless you're standing around staring at walls. After a short time you get used to it.

There was an application posted on Massasi a long time ago that "fixed" the MotS (and JK too iirc) world textures so that they would be converted to 16 bit (and were smoothed out and darkened slightly), but I don't know if it's compatible with JKE (you could try it of course).

Old 08-08-2007, 07:57 AM   #33
hhunter6
Rookie

ok i tried it again last night, still nothing. here is what i did. i uninstalled the game, then reinstalled it. i then applied the MOTS patch. i got a message saying the patch was complete or installed properly, press any key to continue. then renamed the gob file and put the JKE folder and the jke.bat in the MOTS fold that is on my hard drive under the lucasarts folder. when i click on the the bat file to launch it (i do the same for JK and it works) the game doesn't open. a rectangular box opens briefly but closes as soon as it opens. i did notice there are some program files that are on JKE and not MOTS shoul di be using the COGTEXT program? or the JK-extension.dll? also i noticed on the JKHUB there is a new updated patch for JK should i apply this to my JK or will the old patch i already have on there be fine to keep running JKE?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #34
JKLE_Cougar

Try asking on the Hub since they have more experianced people there than here

I wish i could help but i dont know how to get it to work on MotS only JK

Old 08-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #35
hhunter6
Rookie

yes i just posted there to see if i can get any help from them. we'll see
Old 08-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #36
JKLE_Cougar

hey hhunter6 if your ever up for a game of mots or jk stop by my site we are always up for some fresh blood LOL

http://members.lycos.co.uk/jkle/

Old 08-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #37
hhunter6
Rookie

lol ok cool. i have never played JK online before so you'll get a lot of good kills. my online name is usually Stalker or Stalker 6

Last edited by hhunter6; 08-10-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:40 AM   #38
hhunter6
Rookie

got it to work!!!! kinda sucks though only some of the models are redone. bu ti still enjoyed seeing some of the models upgraded.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #39
JKLE_Cougar

glad to see you got it to work!

Old 08-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #40
hhunter6
Rookie

yeah i got help from the hub, however some textures weren't clear as they are in JK. not a big deal or anything but its still nice to see the ones that are updated.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Knight / MotS > Anyone try the new JKE? (Jedi Knight Enhanced)