lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: NFL 2006
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #241
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
I find it very interesting you're both taking the Saints. Iíd be very happy if that happens and although Iím rooting for the Saints, being realist, they will not make the Super Bowl. After all theyíre still the Saints. Theyíve only won to playoff games in their history. The same Saints that were the worst expansion team ever (until the Texans over took them for that dishonor). Remember the Saints?

Why not pick them? They have gotten this far, and it seems that they are no longer the worst expansion team by the way they have been playing up to date. Well, firstly, the Saints started off the season by picking Reggie Bush (which is quite clearly the worst decision the Texans could have made up to this point). Secondly, the Saints have a winning season, with a offense that amongst the best with Brees,Bush, McAllister, Colston, and Holt. It would just work out perfectly if they won the Superbowl after such a wonderful season. Just in like a many sports, any team that makes the playoffs have a chance to win it all.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2007, 07:34 AM   #242
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

Current Game: liberty city stories
I'll see your cookie and raise you 3.

When it comes down to it, you know, down to the nitty gritty, I usually find that preparation, experience and desire have more of an impact than other factors at this time of year.

Can this trend continue? We'll see.

New England is a team that doesn't get rattled.
They also have been here before, many times.
Belichek is a master at taking away a team's best threat.

...and what else can you say about Tom Brady that hasn't been said?
He's a winner.
Who has been Peyton's nemesis in past playoff choke sessions? The Patriots.

This game will be played in Indy this time though, and the Colts defense is a bit better than before. This will prove to be a great matchup come Sunday. Even though I like Dungy and his philosophy, I give the not to the experienced Patriots once again.

...and in this corner!

The Bears will find a way to win this game.
That being said, there very well could be a repeat of a previous battle that took place a few decades ago.
I'm definatley not opposed to history repeating itself.

...no matter how unlikely.

SUPERBOWL FINAL

Chicago BEARS 23
New England PATRIOTS 17

The Starbuck's in Bowerstone has Percolated Java Macchiatos.
Cygnus Q'ol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #243
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Obi-Wan
Why not pick them? They have gotten this far, and it seems that they are no longer the worst expansion team by the way they have been playing up to date. Well, firstly, the Saints started off the season by picking Reggie Bush (which is quite clearly the worst decision the Texans could have made up to this point). Secondly, the Saints have a winning season, with a offense that amongst the best with Brees,Bush, McAllister, Colston, and Holt. It would just work out perfectly if they won the Superbowl after such a wonderful season. Just in like a many sports, any team that makes the playoffs have a chance to win it all.
You're right. Anything is possible and anyone can beat anyone on any given Sunday. Just look at the Colt vs. Texans game. I'm rooting for the Saints, its just growing up in the south; I am realist when it comes to a domed southern team playing outside in January (Oilers vs Pittsburg back in the luv you blue days of Earl Campbell).

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2007, 12:31 AM   #244
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Woohoo

Bears!!!!

Miami, here we come!

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2007, 01:50 AM   #245
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
thank goodness for TiVo, otherwise i would've missed the awe-inspiring Colts comeback win.

Official Super Bowl Prediction: Colts 34 Bears 10

and as for the bet:

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #246
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

All I have to say is.....HAHAHAHA!!! THE PATRIOTS LOST!!!!

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #247
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Poor Cowboy fans, the Tuna is gone. Too much T.O.?

Quote:
My prediction is Colts 28 Bears 26. Benson is stopped short on the two point conversion with seconds left.
I got really lucky and both the Colts and the Bears won. Iím going to stick with my original prediction, but after watching the Bearsí defense come out of hibernation yesterday Iím not feeling overly confident about it.

I thought Luvie Smith was brilliant yesterday. When I saw Benson in there instead of Jones I thought he was an idiot, but he used Benson to pound on the defensive line. Then brought in a fresh Jones, and 123 yards later and the Bears are headed for Miami.

I just hope everyone has a good game and the Super Bowl comes down to one play at the end of the game.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #248
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
I just gotta say go BEARS.

HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2007, 05:29 PM   #249
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Dang, mimartin, you were right. Bah, both of my decisions were wrong. Well, some much for that.

My predictions always seem to be the opposite of what I say. So, I'm going to choose the Bears to win the game since I want to the Colts to win it. I like them both, though. But, I like the Colts more.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #250
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I'm not a bears fan at all and I like the colts pretty well so I'm rooting for them. I don't have an official pick though, the game could go either way. I think a lot of it depends on which defense shows up for Indianapolis, and which side of Grossman shows up for Chicago.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2007, 11:12 PM   #251
Taos
Jedi Council Member

Current Game: ToR beta & Kotor
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Hrm, well my hopes/predictions were wrong...oh well lol. Gotta hand it to both the bears and the colts, they played some great football. The colts looked like a different team in the 2nd half...wow. And hell, how about that defense in the playoffs?? They look like the superbowl champs to me. If the game is close and 2:00 minutes to go...who would you rather having leading your team on an 80 yard drive to win? Rex Grossman or Payton Manning? Yeah, no brainer there...lol

Now all that being said, I'm not a fan of either team, I just gotta give credit where it's due.

Taos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2007, 03:28 AM   #252
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I'm pretty depressed about the Saints loss, but then again...

Considering everything the organization has gone through the last two years, its remarkable they made it this far. The people of New Orleans don't see them as losers. Quite the contrary. Apart from winning games, the team really embraced the community and every member is seen as a Hometown Hero, of sorts. Even from the start of the year, before they started winning, home tickets were sold out. Many members of the team have given large amounts to varies charities designed to help rebuild the city.

The story was a while back and I don't remember the player, but one Saint actually bought a school a complete set of Text Books for all the students. Many players have done similar things. I know Reggie Bush gave a considerable amount of money.

No team, in any sport, means as much to its city as the New Orleans Saints. Anyone who wants to call this team the "A'ints" doesn't know what being a winner really means.

They've done the best they can to give their fans something to smile about in times harder than most of us will ever have to go through. The New Orleans Saints have been ambassadors for the city of New Orleans this year, and thats something to be proud of.

That said, I'm going for the Colts in this game. They represent Louisiana with both their running back (Addai, LSU) and quarterback (Manning, grew up in NO). They also have "Booger" McFarland from LSU and Brandon Stokley from ULL. Though Stokley is injured.

Anyway, I'd like to see Manning get his Super Bowl win. Hes too great of a quarterback to not get it. I'd hate to see him do like Marino.

Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #253
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Saints have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. They played a good game, and if they play as well next year as they did this year, they'll bring the play-off experiences back with them and maybe go even farther. Though I'd still want the Bears to win again, of course.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Old 02-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #254
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

I'm tingling with anticipation. I can't sit still. I wish I were in Miami.
It use to be one of my favorite playgrounds. I'd love to be there for this game. I wouldn't even have to be at the game.

With it being in single digits temperature wise here, my toes in the sand is not a bad idea.

Anyway, Colts vs. Bears Super-duper Bowl 41.

Quick predict:

All will be decided up front with the big boys.
If the Bears can create running holes and protect Grossman,
we can win.

If the Bears can shut down the run and pressure Manning with limited blitzing,
we can win.

So many things could happen with this one, I just can't say for sure.

One thing I can say though is:

GO BEARS !!!

Old 02-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #255
Jae Onasi

I just can't stand the excitement, and I agree with Cygnus that it'll be the front line that'll determine the game. I think the Bears' offensive line realizes that importance, too, from the way they played the last 2 games.

Geez, I thought I had already made a prediction, but I guess I didn't.

I think it'll be:

Bears 21

Colts 17

Edit: Oh, and because I'm on another Dave Barry kick, here's his take on the Superbowl, since he lives in Miami (from the Miami Herald):
Confuse the Midwesterners: Be on your best behavior

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 02-02-2007 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #256
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I don't know Bears fans. I've been thinking about this one and theres one thing that I can't get past.

Payton Manning.

Looking around the NFL, I can think of only three quarterback that can be considered "Great." Payton Manning, Tom Brady and Brett Favre. Sure, there are a lot of excellent quarterbacks in the league, but not many that deserve mentioning with names like Montana, Bradshaw, and Elway. Granted, Favre is past his prime, and some people call Brady a "system quarterback," but whats the only problem with Manning? He hasn't won a Superbowl.

I really wish I could list Donovan McNabb as a great quarterback. Maybe in a few years? Right now, though, he has had too many bad Conference Championship games. Though, for some reason, I really like the guy.

Looking at Manning, hes always played well in the playoffs. The Colts playoff nemesis, the Patriots, have their own great quarterback in Brady. More to the point, the Patriots have beaten the Colts because the Colts defense just gave too many big plays to Brady and Company. Two great quarterbacks face off, one has a less than spectacular defense. Who will win? heh

Now, something happened to the Colts defense the last couple games of the regular season. It was like something clicked on. They still aren't a great defense, but they have elevated their play considerably. Going into the Superbowl, the Colts have a good defense.

So as I see it, we have a Great offense (Colts) verses an Excellent defense (Bears) and a Decent offense (Bears) verses a Good defense (Colts).

Manning and company will find a way to move the ball on the Bears defense. The biggest question I have is how will Grossman respond. If he plays well, this could be a shootout. If not, then the Colts will run away with this thing if their receivers play well. I can't see Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison playing poorly in the Big Game. Dallas Clark, the Colts Tight End, is an excellent receiver as well. If they keep him away from Urlacher, he could have a big game too. Lets not forget, tight ends have made some historic plays in the Super Bowl. Just ask Joe Montana. heh

Looking at the Bears offense, their receivers just aren't as good. Even if Grossman plays well, we could see a critical dropped pass or two. I just don't see the Colts receivers dropping critical catches. The Bears (and the Colts, for that matter) need to make sure their receivers are thinking about the catch first and the run after second. In the Superbowl everyone wants to be the Hero. This can lead to some easy catches being dropped, even by veteran receivers.

One final thought. Will winning or losing the Superbowl change Manning's place in history? I don't know. I do know that great quarterbacks find a way to win Superbowls.

Prediction Time:
Bears: 24
Colts: 31

Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #257
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

Good point point Bob, however there may be a few factors that may be of some importance come Sunday.

I still believe that the Bears can run on this team. Our offensive line is an experienced, cohesive unit and I'm impressed with their contribution this season. They should be able to handle the Colts undersized D-line. Not on every play mind you, but, for he most part of the 60 minutes.

Defensively there shouldn't be a panic situation. Peyton is use to the cover 2 and he's disected most every defense out there, however, there are things to do to disrupt that process.

One of these would be to get pressure on him without blitzing alot.
This would leave Urlacher and the nickel packages to concentrate on good coverage. Someone must cause Manning to move around a bit and not just sit back there and pick the D-backs apart.
I look for Mark Anderson and Ungunleye to race Alex Brown to the quarterback.

The best way to contain Manning is to keep him on the sideline. Running the ball effectively and working clock while sustaining drives is the best case scenario. Grossman doesn't need to be John Elway. All he has to do is play like he has been this post season. Run the ball and execute high percentage play action passes and take what the Colts give.

...and if they leave Berrian or Davis single covered, attack without hesitation. The Colts D-backfield is severely beat up.

Also, don't forget that the Colts are 30th and 31st in the league in kickoff and punt coverage respectively. The Bears are one of the best in both of those areas. I expect this to be a factor. I'm not expecting Hester to run them back but, good field position will help the Bears tremendously.

All Hail Peyton Manning! Whaaa?

...wait just a minute.

Let's take a closer look. Who currently has the better quarterback rating in their respective post season careers, Peyton Manning or Rex Grossman?

When you stop laughing, you'll find that it's Rex.
Yeah, I had to read it twice also.

Peyton is a mere 6-6 in the post season and has never won the big one. The pressure is clearly on the Colts in this game. They have to now prove that they are all they are touted up to be.

The Bears look relaxed and ready. I hope this is so.

Prediction:
BEARS 27
Colts 23

Old 02-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #258
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lion54
I do know that great quarterbacks find a way to win Superbowls.
Not all of them...see Dan Marino or Warren Moon.

I believe it takes a team to win Championship in any sport especially a sport that is so team originated such as football. One player can not win the game without all the other individuals doing there job. The quarterback can make the right read and throw the perfect pass, but is the receiver does not catch it, what the quarterback did does not matter. Donít get me wrong, Iím not saying individual play is not important, Iím saying that even if Grossman or Manning have a career day they could still lose if other individuals on their team donít play well. The Colts seem to be playing as a team right now, but if the same Bearsí team shows up like they did way back on October 16 (Arizona game), then it is either teams game.

Iím sticking to my original prediction, but if former Texas Longhorn Cedric Benson is really carrying the ball on a 2 point conversion to tie or win the game, then I will have my horns up rooting for him to score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus Q'ol
Peyton is a mere 6-6 in the post season and has never won the big one.
How soon we forget. IMO Peyton won the big one when he beat Tom Brady and New England to reach the Super Bowl. The rest is just the frosting on the cake.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #259
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

Yes, blue frosting on a big, orange cake, I hope.

...shaped like Soldier field no less.

I would imagine reaching the SuperBowl and winning the SuperBowl are a world apart.

...and as of now, he hasn't won the BIG GAME.

I trust the Bears to keep it that way.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #260
Jae Onasi

I was making some Ranchero dip for the Superbowl festivities and was wondering what everyone else does for the Superbowl parties. Any traditions? Any favorite foods?

Our traditions--they're pretty simple. Put on Bears clothes and a Bears hat. Sit in the living room in the easy chairs with a bowl of homemade buttered popcorn (not the microwave stuff). Eat other snacks, watch the commercials, drink Diet Pepsi and occasionally something stronger. Celebrate heartily when the Bears win!

Today's snack menu:
Lil' smokies in BBQ sauce
Ranchero Dip and tortilla chips
Carrot sticks and onion dip
Popcorn

I though I'd share a few of our recipes for Superbowl snacks. We try to keep it really easy on Game Day.

How to make Real Popcorn:
It's incredibly easy, but a lot of people don't know how to make it anymore because we're all too used to the microwave stuff.
Ingredients:
Oil
Popcorn
Salt and butter to taste
Get a large heavy saucepan with cover. Pour enough oil into the pan to completely cover the bottom. If you put too much oil in, the popcorn will be too greasy, but you need to have enough so that the popcorn doesn't stick to the bottom.
Put two kernals of corn in the pan with the oil. Turn the burner on to medium-high. When the two kernals pop, pour enough popcorn into the pan to just cover the bottom. Put the cover on the pan, but leave it ajar just a little to let steam out. Shake the pot (slide it back and forth across the burner) frequently so that the popcorn on the bottom doesn't scorch. When you hear only 1 or 2 kernals popping per second or so, take the pan off the heat and pour the popcorn into a bowl. Melt some butter, pour it in a thin stream all over the popcorn. Salt to taste, then shake the bowl a little to mix it up well.

Bears Ranchero Dip:
3 or 4 cans of bean dip
1 c. (8 oz) sour cream
2/3 c. Miracle whip or mayonaisse
1 pkg dry taco seasoning
1 small can chopped green chilies (more or less to taste, we use mild because we're spice wimps )
4 avocadoes, peeled and mashed
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 t. garlic powder
1-2 c. Bear-orange shredded cheddar cheese
1 c. (more or less to taste) each chopped tomatoes, chopped green onions, and sliced olives (we usually skip the olives ourselves since we don't like them).
Bear-blue-corn tortilla chips
Line a large cookie sheet with foil (makes cleanup easier).
Spread bean dip to the edges.
Mix together sour cream, Miracle Whip, and taco seasoning. Spread over bean dip. Sprinkle chopped chilies over the sour cream layer.
Mix the mashed avocadoes, lime juice, salt, and garlic powder together. Spread over the chilies. Sprinkle the Bear-orange cheese over the avocado layer. Then sprinkle a layer of tomatoes over the cheese, then green onions, then olives. Serve with a bowl of Bear-blue corn tortilla chips.
I usually make it early in the morning up through the cheese layer and cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, I add the chopped vegetables. The chili heat mellows a little and spreads out so you don't get 'hot spots'.

Easy onion dip:
1 c. (8 oz) sour cream
1 package Lipton onion dry soup mix.

Mix the two together and put in a bowl Serve with chips. Yes, it's that easy. We use fat-free sour cream and can't tell a difference at all. Again, it's better if you can make it early and let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving to let the flavors mingle.

GO BEARS!!!!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #261
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Well maybe you'll see this from the current Bears team? Just maybe?

Old 02-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #262
Phantom Joker
Rookie

*While ordering industrial size crate of tissues for Jae*
Colts 29 Bears 17

Sorry, Jae...

Missing: One warship with full complement. If found please contact W. Bligh.
Phantom Joker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #263
Jae Onasi

Oh, Cygnus, you're invited to my place for a case of good beer to commisserate the loss....Ugh. That was painful to watch.

The worst thing is, Jimbo and I were thrilled, dancing and high-fiving when Hester ran the opening kick-off back for a TD, but both of us looked at each other and said "I hope this doesn't end up being like the OSU game...."

Thanks for the tissues, Phantom Joker. I'll need every one of them.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:20 PM   #264
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Hey, reverse psychology worked. I said the Bears would win, but I wanted the Colts to win it and they did.

I thought I was a reasonable played game. I've seen better. But, the weather may have been a factor. As a result, there were a few turnovers caused by it. Grossman didn't have quite a great game either. And essentially the running game was the main factor why the Colts won.

Kudos to Manning and Dungy who finally got the big win in the Super Bowl. And to all the other Colts players.

Special kudos to Jason David (#42 of the Colts) who is an Edmonton-born player.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:51 PM   #265
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
well, i wasn't too far off on my Super Bowl prediction. and kudos to Rex Grossman as the Colts MVP. XD

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2007, 12:01 AM   #266
Phantasmgrl91
Rookie

i love how rex proved everyone to be right, he totally blew it
Phantasmgrl91 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2007, 12:23 AM   #267
Jae Onasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs
well, i wasn't too far off on my Super Bowl prediction. and kudos to Rex Grossman as the Colts MVP. XD
You are evil and of the Lower Planes.

I like Tony Dungy a lot, so if the Bears couldn't win, at least the win went to someone who I highly respect.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:57 AM   #268
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Current Game: SWOTR
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Alderaan News Holopics contributor LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
Aw, sorry, Jae. Better Bear-luck next year though, eh?

But thanks for posting the ranchero dip recipe. Maybe I can use it to entice my other half into watching the big game next year. (Being a native-born Scotsman, he's just not into "American" football. (Though I think it's probably due to the amount of commercial breaks they seem to have during televised games. Feel free to submit any ideas to convert him. )

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)
Old 02-05-2007, 03:03 AM   #269
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
It was a good game from what I heard. I only got to see what the news showed since I had to work during the game. Though I am not a total football fan, I hoped that the Colts would win. I saw their comeback in the game that got them to the Superbowl and thought that if they played like they did in the second half, they would win. I admit that I am a total ignoramus with football but I do like to watch and the good games with close scores always hold my interest.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2007, 05:27 AM   #270
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Sorry for your loss Jae, and Rex proved me right, I said from the get go that Griese should've been the starter. On the bright side... I made quite a profit from that game , gotta love it when you hit your numbers.

"Women are like sunsetsÖ theyíre beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #271
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

Can I borrow one of those tissues?

Thank you for the beer Jae, I may need something a bit stronger though, while I try to figure out why, when the Bears were down 5pts and first and ten on the Colts' side of the 50 with some 10 odd minutes left, why on God's green earth are they not running the ball?

Rex was jittery all game. I think I'd have ran Jones a bit more on that drive.
That pick sealed it.

Oh well, I'm not as mad as I thought I'd be. Actually, I'm not angry at all. Just dissappointed I have to return that enormous Superbowl Bear blow-up balloon in my yard. The kids are laughing at me and throwing snowballs at it.

My hat's off to Coach Dungy, Peyton Manning and the Colts. They had an incredible season, played a great Superbowl and never really got rattled.
...even when Hester started the thing off with dramatic style.

I think it was very apparent in this game how valuable Tommie Harris (the run stopping monster in the middle) and Mike Brown (the #30 missle that comes up and blows up plays) are to this defense. They really missed them last night.

Rex was, well, um...
Well, Rex was Rex.

He looked like a rookie last night, however I'm not sure Griese would have been any better. Changing QB's in the Superbowl is basically a signal to your team that you've given up. I wouldn't have suggested that.
...although it did cross my mind.

Unless some ridiculous turn of events causes a QB to come to Chicago in the off-season, Rex'll probably be our guy come next season. Let's hope there's a learning process in all of this for him. We have to win it next time.

Congratulations to the NFC Champion Chicago BEARS for a great season, division domination, exciting rallys, sweet touchdowns, great hits, punt return magic, black american pride and plenty of great football entertainment.

It's finally over and I can breathe again. Now, maybe I can get some things done. I have this fic I've been working on but, I've been very distracted with football and this whole job thing. Who ever created the 40 hour work week was a masochist.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #272
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lion54
Prediction Time:
Bears: 24
Colts: 31
Well, my prediction was pretty close. During the pregame show Dan Marino made the exact same prediction. I thought whether I was right or wrong, I would at least be in good company. heh

I'm happy Payton Manning has his ring. He is the premier quarterback in the league right now and losing the Superbowl wouldn't have been right somehow.

Kudos to the Bears. They are still the NFC Champions and thats no small accomplishment. Grossman has shown flashes of being a top quarterback but has also made some really bad plays. Hes still young though, and he should be more consistent next season if he stays healthy.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #273
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

David Carr and the Houston Texans beat the eventual Super Bowl Champs. That just does not sound right.

The Colts defense just got hot at the right time of the season. I thought the Colts played a very good all around game. The offense kept getting first downs and wearing out the Bearís defensive. This also kept the Bearís offense from ever getting into any kind of rhythm. Grossman didnít have a good game, but this game was won and lost at the line of scrimmage. The one time the Bearís got any pressure on Manning he threw an interception. The Bearís just could get any pass rush with their front four. When they blitzed Manning would dump the ball off for two to three years and the receiver would make it 8. The Coltís showed great patience against a very good Bearís defense. Patience and determination is something sorely missing from todayís game. The Bears backed away from their running game way to soon and put the game in the hands of their young quarterback.

Quote:
I would imagine reaching the SuperBowl and winning the SuperBowl are a world apart.
...and as of now, he hasn't won the BIG GAME.
Youíre right, but I imagine for Manning beating Tom Brady and New England to reach his goal makes it all the sweeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
The worst thing is, Jimbo and I were thrilled, dancing and high-fiving when Hester ran the opening kick-off back for a TD, but both of us looked at each other and said "I hope this doesn't end up being like the OSU game...."
I forgot all about that. At least they both made it to their championship game. Take solace, OSU did beat Michigan. I understand that always makes it a good season.

@ Cygnus Q'ol - Would you make the trade Carr for Grossman?

Old 02-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #274
REDJOHNNYMIKE
Destroyer of Burfday!

Location: Your liver... and a hobgoblin's jugular... simultaneously
Tony's contribution to history, Peyton getting his shot at the big game, the colts defense stepping up. Pretty good day for the Colts.

Sorry Jae, I like both teams, but I did want to see the colts win, they've been so exciting to watch for so long and they deserved a shot at it.

Bears might've been better of keeping their national championship winning quarterback

Anyone notice the self-control of the Colt's team and coaching staff after the game?
Maybe something to do with why they played better in the downpour.

Quote:
Take solace, OSU did beat Michigan. I understand that always makes it a good season.
*pats mim on the back* you're alright man

The Binary Theory of Life: Inside the box = bad... Outside the box = good...
Sanity is the highest form of oppression.
REDJOHNNYMIKE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #275
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

Grossman or Carr?
That's like asking do I want to use a lighter or matches to heat my home.

In this close race, I'd have to say Grossman.
The fans and media already have had a good headstart bashing him.

Believe it or not, I still hold out slim hopes that he can improve.

...couple of years ago he was in a wheelchair playing X-box.
This year he was the QB of a Superbowl team.

He just may have a larger learning curve than most.

If I were him though, I'd probably stay down in Miami for a while, soak up some rays and stay outta sight. It's 30below today.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #276
Jae Onasi

This is the first complete season Grossman's played, and I think possibly he's played more games this season than he has his entire career prior to this season. So he's the equivalent of maybe a 2nd-yr QB in terms of total experience. To go to the Superbowl with that experience equivalent is no small feat.
When he's on his game, he's very good. The trick is to keep him on his game and teach him not to panic when the pocket is collapsing. It is very hard to learn to 'surf the adrenaline wave' instead of allowing that adrenaline wave to crash over you. Once he gets that down to maintain good focus (and the O-line gives him a little more time), I think he'll do some terrific things on a much more consistent basis. If they keep the defense as strong as they have, they're going to stomp all over everyone in the NFL. They've got nearly all the pieces they need already for that. Once the last few pieces click into place, they'll be unstoppable.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #277
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

Even though I despise the Patriots, I was actually a little disappointed that they didn't make it. Maybe then Brain Urlacher could've laid a mortally-wounding hit on Brady.

But anyway, I'm glad the Colts won, if only as a reward for beating the Patriots.

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #278
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Believe it or not, I still hold out slim hopes that he can improve.
I believe Grossman will be a very good quarterback before his career is over. He is just young and inexperienced. When he is on he looks great, but when he is bad, he is BAD! Hopefully that will go away with age and he will become a more consistent player. When he is on his deep passes are a thing of beauty.

I still believe Carr can become a serviceable quarterback in the NFL, just not in Houston. He has become hated here by the fans. After the draft last year, the pressure became worst. He needs to shown the door here for his own good. With a offensive line that isnít offensive, he just might be a decent quarterback, but we will never find out. The Texans plan to ride that horse till he has to be put down.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:00 AM   #279
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Once he gets that down to maintain good focus (and the O-line gives him a little more time), I think he'll do some terrific things on a much more consistent basis.
I'm going to quote you on this and hold you to it Jae, because 10 years from now when it is clearly evident to everyone that Grossman is a flop, I'm going to say.... "I told you so"

"Women are like sunsetsÖ theyíre beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > NFL 2006