lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Is Vista a problem, it is for me
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
Gray Judge
Lurker

Exclamation Is Vista a problem, it is for me

Hello,
I've been having a problem getting started with TSL. I was playing the game, on XL pro but then I went and upgraded to Vista Ultimate. I've also upgraded my drivers for my Vid cards and all other perifery. Every thing works well untill I try to start a game, then vista cuts in and stops the program. I've tried starting as Administrator. But still no go. Anyone out there who knows any thing, Please help.
Gray Judge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
l2ash
Rookie

only help i can tell u is downgrade back to xp for the next 9-13 months, an by than vista will be fully compatible with TSL, an a bunch of otha games

"I am A Saiyan... From Earth"
l2ash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
what exactly is Vista telling you when it stops the game from playing??

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
Gray Judge
Lurker

Hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs
what exactly is Vista telling you when it stops the game from playing??
Well, after I get passed the launcher. I get a window opening that searches for a solution. Then that stops and windows says. "Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic 11: The Sith Lords has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a a solution is available.
Then at the bottom, from the task bar, another notice opens. Which says: To protect the computer, Data execution prevention has closed Star wars......
to get more help click the window.
Which I do, that opens a help window and tells me about how to change my "Data Execution Prevention settings". I then follow the instructions; open system, click Advanced System Settings, under performance, click Settings,
Click the Data Execution Prevention tab, then click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select. It then goes on to tell me how to turn on or off the programs...and that's it.
I hope this is helpful?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Gray Judge
Lurker

Fix found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Judge
Well, after I get passed the launcher. I get a window opening that searches for a solution. Then that stops and windows says. "Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic 11: The Sith Lords has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a a solution is available.
Then at the bottom, from the task bar, another notice opens. Which says: To protect the computer, Data execution prevention has closed Star wars......
to get more help click the window.
Which I do, that opens a help window and tells me about how to change my "Data Execution Prevention settings". I then follow the instructions; open system, click Advanced System Settings, under performance, click Settings,
Click the Data Execution Prevention tab, then click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select. It then goes on to tell me how to turn on or off the programs...and that's it.
I hope this is helpful?
Hi I've just found a fix, well it's got the game running:

tjm397
Total Posts: 1
EDITED BY tjm397: Mar 09, 2007 09:51 AM
After getting the startup error on Vista I did a bit of hunting and came up with a solution.

The problem is obviously to do with the underlying sound system and the fact that microsoft have ripped out great parts of this for Vista.

Anyway, I was pointed towards replacing the Mss32.dll file in the KOTOR2 program directory with the version that can be found here:

http://files.filefront.com/Mss32dll/.../fileinfo.html

I believe it is an updated dll for the Miles sound system which drives the game.

Works great for me and should be an easy fix for lucasarts to sort in a small patch.

Have fun!
And i have.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Trouble Shooting > The Work Bench > Is Vista a problem, it is for me