lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Looking for a good RPG...
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Vaelastraz
Veteran
 
Vaelastraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: City 17. It's safer.
Posts: 851
Looking for a good RPG...

I'm looking for a good RPG, they're just my favourite offline games. Can anyone recommend me something I haven't played alrdy?
Games I've already played:
Kotor I, II
BG I, addon, II
Vampire II
Morrowind, addon, addon
Oblivion
Gothic I, II, III
NWN I, addon
Jade Empire
Arx fatalis

So what can you guys recommend? I'm in desperate need of good rpgs...
Vaelastraz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
stoffe
Network Caretaker
 
stoffe's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,833
Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelastraz
So what can you guys recommend? I'm in desperate need of good rpgs...
Neverwinter Nights 2 That's a pretty good CRPG in my opinion. They there still are some bugs they are patching it's nothing too serious. Takes place a few years after the first NWN ends, but has a more coherent and interesting story than the first one, in my opinion.

If you still can get it (it's pretty old) Planescape:Torment is another very good RPG. It's rather weird, but very engrossing and memorable (except the ending). Planescape D&D setting, takes place in the planar city of Sigil and a number of other outer planes. Rather different story than most other RPGs in that you aren't out to save the world, but rather to save yourself.

Another old but good game is Deus Ex, though it's more of a FPS/RPG hybrid than a full RPG. It's a bit single-tracked on the dialog front, but other than that often offers multiple ways to solve situations and advance the story, and it has 3 different endings. In some ways it reminds me of VtM:Bloodlines. You're playing as an Anti-Terrorist special agent working for the United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition (UNATCO) in a dark near future plagued by depression, plagues, terrorism and unrest, though the story eventually forces you to re-evaluate your loyalties.

Last edited by stoffe; 04-05-2007 at 03:37 PM.
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable
 
Arátoeldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Karningul
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
Neverwinter Nights 2 That's a pretty good CRPG in my opinion. They there still are some bugs they are patching it's nothing too serious. Takes place a few years after the first NWN ends, but has a more coherent and interesting story than the first one, in my opinion.

If you still can get it (it's pretty old) Planescape:Torment is another very good RPG. It's rather weird, but very engrossing and memorable (except the ending). Planescape D&D setting, takes place in the planar city of Sigil and a number of other outer planes. Rather different story than most other RPGs in that you aren't out to save the world, but rather to save yourself.

Another old but good game is Deus Ex, though it's more of a FPS/RPG hybrid than a full RPG. It's a bit single-tracked on the dialog front, but other than that often offers multiple ways to solve situations and advance the story, and it has 3 different endings. In some ways it reminds me of VtM:Bloodlines. You're playing as an Anti-Terrorist special agent working for the United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition (UNATCO) in a dark near future plagued by depression, plagues, terrorism and unrest, though the story eventually forces you to re-evaluate your loyalties.
I'll second both of these games. I also add
Fallout 1 & 2
Icewind Dale series more hack & Slash then party interaction
Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption
Arcanum

Make sure you patch both pf these games
Temple of Elemental Evil (Fan made patches at Circle of 8)
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines

System Shock 2 Mix of FPS/RPG


Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius
 
Rabish Bini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NSW, Aus
Posts: 2,128
Current Game: KotOR III
Fable or Fable: The Lost Chapters. Fairly good, for Xbox and PC.


Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Rogue15
Reconnaissance Specialist
 
Rogue15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Kaas City
Posts: 18,600
Current Game: The Old Republic
Roleplayer 10 year veteran! 
deus ex 1 and 2


Battle is a pure form of expression. It is heart and discipline, reduced to movement and motion. In battle, the words are swept away, giving way to actions-- mercy, sacrifice, anger, fear. These are pure moments of expression.
Rogue15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Gargoyle King
Veteran
 
Gargoyle King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In My Own Little World!
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue15
deus ex 1 and 2
Hmm.. The Deus-X series aren't truly RPG's though, more of an FPS with RPG elements intertwined within it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelastraz
I'm looking for a good RPG, they're just my favourite offline games. Can anyone recommend me something I haven't played alrdy?
Games I've already played:
Kotor I, II
BG I, addon, II
Vampire II
Morrowind, addon, addon
Oblivion
Gothic I, II, III
NWN I, addon
Jade Empire
Arx fatalis

So what can you guys recommend? I'm in desperate need of good rpgs...
If your into console gaming, you must have heard of the likes of Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross or Xenogears etc. Basically, Square-Enix are a good company to look out for with RPGs.
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
stoffe
Network Caretaker
 
stoffe's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,833
Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle_King
Hmm.. The Deus-X series aren't truly RPG's though, more of an FPS with RPG elements intertwined within it.
Depends on what criteria you use to classify a game as an RPG. I'd call the Deus Ex games (the first in particular) RPGs with FPS elements intertwined within it instead. Just because a game has a first person perspective interface, and allows you to use guns, doesn't make it an FPS in my opinion.

The game takes place in first person mode, and you use guns, but that's there the regular FPS elements end (in particular compared to FPS games at the time Deus Ex was released). The game has an XP/skill system that affects your combat effectiveness, lockpicking/hacking skill, ability to swim/run/ etc. It's strongly story driven though you do often have a choice of how to proceed, and those choices have some consequences, large or small.

The game has several roaming areas where plenty of side quests/missions are available, all non-hostile NPCs have something unique (voiced) to say. I'd say the majority of the missions aren't of the typical "kill everything that moves, then kill everything that doesn't move, then get the key and proceed to the next area" that often is typical of FPS plotlines. Many areas/missions you don't have to kill anything at all to achieve your goal (unless you chose to go in guns blazing). Stealth is an option most of the time. And even if you do choose to take down enemies you have the option to just incapacitate rather than kill them, which has some small consequences earlier in the game.
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Gargoyle King
Veteran
 
Gargoyle King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In My Own Little World!
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
Depends on what criteria you use to classify a game as an RPG. I'd call the Deus Ex games (the first in particular) RPGs with FPS elements intertwined within it instead. Just because a game has a first person perspective interface, and allows you to use guns, doesn't make it an FPS in my opinion.

The game takes place in first person mode, and you use guns, but that's there the regular FPS elements end (in particular compared to FPS games at the time Deus Ex was released). The game has an XP/skill system that affects your combat effectiveness, lockpicking/hacking skill, ability to swim/run/ etc. It's strongly story driven though you do often have a choice of how to proceed, and those choices have some consequences, large or small.

The game has several roaming areas where plenty of side quests/missions are available, all non-hostile NPCs have something unique (voiced) to say. I'd say the majority of the missions aren't of the typical "kill everything that moves, then kill everything that doesn't move, then get the key and proceed to the next area" that often is typical of FPS plotlines. Many areas/missions you don't have to kill anything at all to achieve your goal (unless you chose to go in guns blazing). Stealth is an option most of the time. And even if you do choose to take down enemies you have the option to just incapacitate rather than kill them, which has some small consequences earlier in the game.
I see your point; well i suppose most modern RPG's aren't 'truly' RPGs are they? A true RPG would have probably been the original Dungeons and Dragons board game or something along these lines.
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2007, 05:30 AM   #9
Vaelastraz
Veteran
 
Vaelastraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: City 17. It's safer.
Posts: 851
Thanks guys!
I think I'll try out Planescape torment. And System Shock.

What's the gameplay like in NWN2? I didn't like the first one, I regret buying it to be honest. It was just not worth it.
Vaelastraz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #10
stoffe
Network Caretaker
 
stoffe's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,833
Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelastraz
Thanks guys!
I think I'll try out Planescape torment. And System Shock.

What's the gameplay like in NWN2? I didn't like the first one, I regret buying it to be honest. It was just not worth it.
Torment is a classic. The graphics are a bit dated by today's standards, but the gameplay and story is better than most other RPGs I've played, even if the weird Planescape setting can take a while to get used to.

System Shock 2 is more of a story driven survival horror than a straight RPG, though it has character classes and skill development systems similar to what you usually find in RPGs. Also a bit old, but a classic that manages to frequently scare you and convey a very creepy mood even with the somewhat old graphics. It might be difficult to get hold of nowadays, but if you can it's well worth it (it's roughly contemporary with Half-Life 1).

As for NWN2 the story and gameplay is a lot better than the NWN1 campaign (which felt more like a toolset demo than a commercial game campaign). It's still a D&D game of course, but the story is presented in a much more cinematic way more similar to the KOTOR games than to its own predecessor. If you like Fantasy RPGs I'd give it a try even if you didn't like NWN1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle_King
A true RPG would have probably been the original Dungeons and Dragons board game or something along these lines.
I think that was a strategy war game and not an RPG.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan
 
Lantzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,156
Good choice on Planescape:Torment, you will have a lot of fun with it if you liked Baldurs Gate.

Well, i think they already mention this, but Fallout is also a very good game, it was Fallout that made me start play RPGs
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #12
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard
 
Commander Obi-Wan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,363
Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
I think you should get an Xbox 360 and get Mass Effect.

Though, you can wait for it to come out on PC, but that may take a while.


Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
Vaelastraz
Veteran
 
Vaelastraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: City 17. It's safer.
Posts: 851
I would LOVE to play Mass effect, but getting an Xbox 360.. nah.

Fallout? I'm not sure if I know that game, but isn't that in a real time setting? With normal guns and soldiers?
I don't like that kind of scenario, it's either fantasy or science fiction for me.
Vaelastraz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
Jediphile
Persona non grata
 
Jediphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,452
Anyone tried The Summoner? It's old now, sure, but the graphics are tolerable if you're used to KotOR, and the interface will seem very similar.

They reuse some stuff way too often, but I kind of did like parts of the plot - there are some genuine surprises along the way and at least a very good explanation for why the bad guys don't just kill you. Some of the background is also interesting IMHO.


"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #15
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelastraz
I would LOVE to play Mass effect, but getting an Xbox 360.. nah.

Fallout? I'm not sure if I know that game, but isn't that in a real time setting? With normal guns and soldiers?
I don't like that kind of scenario, it's either fantasy or science fiction for me.
No, Fallout is not real time. It is turn-based and uses a hexagonal layout system. I liked the character development system (based on GURPS if I remember.) It is an RPG with very good dialog and ambience and a good dose of humor, satire, and pop culture thrown in. (wiki link) It has a gritty post-nuclear setting with some elements of science fiction. It is rated mature for violence and language. The choices you make in the game is reflected at the end-of-the-game summary and how your actions affected the future. Tim Cain, who did VtM Bloodlines was the lead programmer for Fallout. Feargus Urqhardt of Obsidian did Fallout 2 (a very good sequel). I'd recommend these two RPGs.

Last edited by tk102; 04-08-2007 at 04:37 PM.
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #16
Jediphile
Persona non grata
 
Jediphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,452
Fallout 2 rules supreme if you like Monty Python - lots of references. I'd suggest buying and playing both Fallout 1 and 2. They're excellent games even if they are ancient. Heck, I still play Fallout 2 on occasion.


"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #17
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable
 
Arátoeldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Karningul
Posts: 1,574
One more thing. I noticed that you played Baldur's Gate I, BG I: Tales of the Sword Coast, Balder's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. You must play Throne of Bhaal (Expansion Pack for BGII) to really finish the game.


Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2007, 08:21 AM   #18
Vaelastraz
Veteran
 
Vaelastraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: City 17. It's safer.
Posts: 851
Wow now I have a lot games on my list. And I thought I've played most RPGs already..

Thanks.
Vaelastraz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #19
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable
 
Arátoeldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Karningul
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelastraz
Wow now I have a lot games on my list. And I thought I've played most RPGs already..

Thanks.
Out of the four Elder Scroll games, my favorite is the second one. The game is called Daggerfall.

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Elder-Scroll...QQcmdZViewItem

The first one Arena is also very good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200097269248


Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Looking for a good RPG...

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.