Index - useful resource links:
JE Modding tools (so far):
Other Modding tools that work with JE:
- TalkEd v1.1.1a - TLK V4.0 editor for Jade Empire (for modifying all game text in dialog.tlk)
- ERF/RIM Edit v0.3.6a - ERF/MOD/RIM Editor for Jade Empire (with correct file type associations)
- JEFindRes v0.3a - Search tool to look for files with names matching the search pattern within all the game's BIF, MOD and RIM files (and the override folder for completeness). Allows extraction of found files and converting images from TXB format to TGA. (See this post for more info)
- Txb2Tga v0.1a - Converts TXB textures to a TGA and TXI file to allow viewing and modifying textures and images.
- JE DLGEditor v2.3.0a2 - Dialog editor for Jade Empire, alpha release (See this post for more info )
- Jade Empire Savegame Editor v0.6 - A basic savegame editor for Jade Empire (see this post for more info)
- SAC Utils - A save.sac ripper and mender in case you want to try manual GFF editing of your savegame.
Modding info, tutorial and how-to posts:
Released JE Mods in this thread:
- Scripts can be compiled with the KOTOR-adapted versions of nwnnsscomp using nwscript.nss from JE's override folder.
- 2DAs can be edited with any text editor if they're in 2DA V2.0 format. If they are in the 2DA v2.b binary format they can be edited with KotorTool or tk102's Excel Add-in or converted to 2DA V2.0 with my Convert2da utility.
- K-GFF v1.2.0 and above seems to work to edit the GFF files from Jade Empire. Make sure you don't use an older version since the new data type JE uses would not be supported then, resulting in data corruption when saving.
* * *
Since I just got Jade Empire for PC I thought I'd try to update my RIM/ERF editor to handle the Jade Empire files to make modding it a little easier. The ERF and RIM file formats seems to be mostly the same, though the ResType <--> File extension lookup table seems to have changed, both changing the meaning of some existing ResTypes, and adding a bunch of new file types to it.
I've been looking through various RIM and MOD files so far trying to figure out what the different files are. So far I've only been able to figure out this fairly short list. Do anyone know what other file type <--> ResType associations there are, or what the new files are used for?
Edit: Found a list, so hopefully the table should be complete now. Still need to figure out the purpose of some of the files, and what format they are in though. (Some may be leftovers from Neverwinter Nights / Knights of the Old Republic and unused in Jade Empire.)
ResType Type Comment/speculation
------- ---- ---------------------------------------
0 RES ???
1 BMP Bitmap image
2 MVE ???
3 TGA Targa image file
4 WAV Wave sound
5 WFX Wave extra info
7 INI Configuration file (plaintext)
8 MP3 MP3 sound
9 MPG MPG video
10 TXT Text file
11 PVD Binary data (Pointer to Void Data).
2000 PLH Polyhedron
2001 TEX Texture
2002 MDL Model data (MDL) [used along with MDX file with the same name]
2003 THG Thing (???)
2005 FNT Font
2007 LUA Lua script
2008 SLT Slot file
2009 NSS Script sourcecode (plaintext)
2010 NCS Script bytecode (NCS)
2011 MOD Module (ERF)
2012 ARE Static area info (GFF)
2013 SET Tileset file
2014 IFO Module information (GFF)
2016 WOK Area Walkmesh
2017 2DA Data table (plaintext or 2DA V2.b binary)
2018 TLK Talk table file (TLK)
2022 TXI Extra Texture Info (plaintext)
2023 GIT Game Instance File (dynamic area info) (GFF)
2024 ITM Item template (GFF)
2026 CRE Creature template (GFF)
2029 DLG Dialog file (GFF)
2030 PAL Palette (GFF)
2031 TRG Triggers (GFF)
2033 DDS DXTC Compressed texture
2034 SND Sounds (???)
2036 LTR ???
2037 GFF Generic GFF file (GFF... duh)
2038 FAC Faction file (GFF)
2039 ENC Encounter template (GFF)
2040 CON Container template (GFF)
2041 DOR Door template (GFF)
2043 PLA Placeable template (GFF)
2045 DFT ???
2046 GIC Game Instance Comments (area editor comment data)
2047 GUI Graphical User Interface definition file. (GFF)
2048 CSS Conditional Source Script
2049 CCS Conditional Compiled Script
2050 MER Merchant/store template (GFF)
2052 DWK Door walkmesh
2053 PWK Placeable walkmesh (plaintext)
2054 GEN Random Item Generator
2056 JRL Journal file (GFF)
2057 SAV Area game state data (GFF)
2058 WAY waypoint template (GFF)
2059 4PC Custom 16-bit RGBA texture format
2060 SSF sound set file (SSF)
2061 HAK HAK file (ERF)
2062 NWM NWN Official Campaign module (ERF)
2063 BIK BINK movie (Bink video)
2064 MIN MiniGame data (GFF)
2065 NDB Script debugger data (toolset)
2066 XWB XACT WaveBank
2067 XSB XACT SoundBank
2068 BIN XBOX DSP filter
3000 LYT Area model layout (plaintext)
3001 VIS Area visibility graph (plaintext)
3002 RIM Resource Image File (RIM)
3004 LIP Lipsync Visemes data
3005 XMV ???
3006 WMA ???
3007 CWD Crowd game object template (GFF)
3008 PRO Projectile static resource type
3009 AOE Area of Effect static resouce type
3010 MAT material file (plaintext)
3011 MAB material file (binary)
3012 QST Quest/journal data (GFF)
3013 STO Store static resource file (GFF) [used with MER file?]
3014 APL Artist placeable
3015 HEX Hex grid (plaintext) [appears to be map-related in some way]
3016 MDX Extra model data (binary) [used along with MDL file]
3017 TXB Compressed image with TXI data
3018 TPC Compressed image with TXI data
3019 CAM ???
3020 SPT ???
3021 STYLE ???
3022 FSM Finite State Machine (FSM) data
3023 ART [Weather/Light data for area?] (INI/plaintext)
3024 AMP ??? (binary)
3025 CWA Crowd Attribute (GFF)
3026 XLS MS Excel spreadsheet
3027 SPF NGF: Style profiles
3028 BIP PATL: Binary LIP. - [lipsync/Sound file?]
9996 IDS Legacy BG Script File
9997 ERF Encapsulated file
9998 BIF BIFF file
9999 KEY Key file