((Caution: If this feels like a wall of text, the question in the title is enough to answer on
Now that a good amount of time has passed since the release of the game, Iīd like to know if any of the released mods share my ideas about changing EAW gameplay. Iīve dabbled with the XML files, and can of course add features myself, but Iīd like a base thatīs closest to my goals.
The release infos for all these mods seem to focus on a load of new units (less consequential to me) while usually not talking about the realism/balancing changes much at all.
(If you didnīt get what the hell I just babbled in the last few paragraphs, never you mind, letīs cut to the chase here
What Iīm looking for:
- A close matching of EU canon (Iīm accepting things like the X-Wing series here) statistics for starships and vehicles
(correct weapons, shields, speeds and other abilities, also correct attributes of all weapons etc.)
- A removal of all needless rock-paper-scissors crap - for example, I want the corvetteīs lasers to do an equal amount of damage to anything it shoots - I donīt want its damage to be tripled against starfighters! All balancing of this sort should happen naturally because of the shipīs normal statistics. ACCURACY should be the only thing affected by different targets.
- A rough balancing and pricing of the above
- A removal of all in-battle spawning - carriers should be able to launch their full complement (the canon numbers, again), and not produce any more during the battle. Ditto for ground barracks and turrets & such - they are needless RTS relics. Speaking of carriers, Rebel ships should have a complement too (naturally of reduced strength)
- More realism in general : blasters should be deadly in ground combat, not just drain away the life bar vs infantry, but VERY inaccurate (can manage this side myself). Also, to compensate, more men per platoon. (The Star Wars firefight feeling comes from a bunch of soldiers wildly firing at each other and missing a lot, but each occasional hit dropping a combatant - not having each damned blaster bolt hit the target but require 40 shots to kill one guy).
This should, of course, translate over to space combat (fighters, for example).
- Reworked tech tree, to match canon lore better
- A unit of major importance is not included in EAW - namely the Imperial Infantry! While it can be imagined the prestigious stormtroopers take care of the critical ops that the EAW land battles are representative of, itīd be nice to actually field infantry platoons. (I actually have this and the Imperial Plex team done, as one of the rebel soldier skins fits them well, but just wanted to mention...)
After all this, everything extra is just gravy.
So, which mod would be closest to what Iīd want?