lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Ruling: Former presidents can't withhold records
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Ruling: Former presidents can't withhold records

Link
Quote:
WASHINGTON - Presidents don't have indefinite veto power over which records are made public after they've left office, a federal judge ruled Monday.

In a narrowly crafted ruling, U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly invalidated part of President Bush's 2001 executive order, which allowed former presidents and vice presidents to review executive records before they are released under the Freedom of Information Act.
Good. Presidents should be accountable to their citizens and you can't have accountability without transparency.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Might be interesting to see what that transparency actually reveals. Only real question is how long a legal fight might delay the release of said records. Lawyers can drag things out for an eternity if they are any good.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
That is sad but true about legal prowess of lawyers. As to the ruling, I am inclinded to cheer the judge on. I do think that past presidents should be accountable for past actions. Heck don't they write books on their presidency?
Past administrators of our govt. should not be "shy" about what they declared should be so. We will eventually find out something like with Nixon and Watergate, the CIA ops in Central America. We will eventually find out. Why the hassle?

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Link Good. Presidents should be accountable to their citizens and you can't have accountability without transparency.
Not just that, though that is likely one of, if not the, most important reason. It's also important for the development of accurate histories so that mistakes are not repeated and successes are studied for future application.

@JM12--Presidents do write memoirs, but their memories are rather selective. Johnson said in his memoirs that he pushed hard for the Civil Rights Act of '64 and the Voting Rights act of '65 because he thought people of color should have the right to vote. However, his motives were far more politically motivated than this glowing altruistic sentiment, and some of the documents at the LBJ library and his voting record on civil rights while he was Senate Majority Leader showed his clear political bent.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
Web Rider

Ah! I am very glad that this happened. I was abolutly disgusted that the first thing Bush did was make that order. I mean jeeze, we're supposed to trust our government right? How the hell can we do that if their first move in office is to hide their buddies mistakes?

yeesh.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Johnson said in his memoirs that he pushed hard for the Civil Rights Act of '64 and the Voting Rights act of '65 because he thought people of color should have the right to vote. However, his motives were far more politically motivated than this glowing altruistic sentiment, and some of the documents at the LBJ library and his voting record on civil rights while he was Senate Majority Leader showed his clear political bent.
Iíll state right now Jae Onasi is correct about LBJ. We tailgate in front of the LBJ Library for all UT home games. Iíve walked through the museum and library many times. Iím not defending Johnson or any other politician of that era or any other era before, I feel that they did not do enough and did not do it fast enough in ensuring everyone in the country had an equal right to vote and civil liberties. However, it was all politically. Even if President Johnson would have wanted to act faster, he still had to deal with a huge part of this country who at that time did not want the Civil Rights movement and the Voting Rights act passed. Seems silly to us, but so does a country that declares at the top of it lungs that ďall men are created equal,Ē but then allows slavery to exist for another 89 years. So I do not begrudge Johnson his due in getting these legislations passed. He may have been slow and somewhat reluctant, after all these were introduced by JFK, Johnson did muster the votes and get it passed. Not bad for a southern boy.

As to the ruling, Iím glad the judge invalidated one of the stupidest executive orders I ever heard of. I guess that is one way to protect the legacy of your Presidency, only allow what you want to be released. Even more insane is the fact this privilege extend even after death.

For some reason I keep hearing Mel Brooks say, ďIt is good to be the PresidentĒ in my head.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
Rogue Warrior
Banned

This would be great were the records to come out unbiased. However I can just see people going on a witch hunt and using everything they can to condemn someone as this great evil.
Rogue Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Ruling: Former presidents can't withhold records