lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Do you think K3 will have DX10 graphics etc?
Yep 45 65.22%
Nope 24 34.78%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: DX10 for KotOR 3?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #41
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ-W4
A point I'd like to add is that a general overhaul of the existing engine takes less time and money and comes with far less bugs than a brand new engine for a new, far more complex system.
QFT.
A good point MJ-W4, why waste money creating something risky and new when they already have a solid build to base off? A good example is with The Witcher in which CD Projekt have effectively chosen what can be considered an outdated game engine (the Aurora Engine) but have heavily moddified the engine to create a visually stunning experience that is on par, if not better to the likes of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Plus, the Aurora Engine has also proved to be a solid engine when creating games with the uber-awsemness of NWN, NWN II (although this sequel was developed with a modified version of Aurora [and less popular and platform friendly] by Obsidian called the "Electron Engine") and all their fantastic expansions.
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 01:56 PM   #42
SentinelRivers
Rookie

I'd settle for both DX9 and DX10 versions really, though if it was DX10 only I doubt I'd get Vista just for KoTOR III.

Then again I've never really cared much for fancy graphics in RPG's.
SentinelRivers is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #43
MJ-W4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelRivers
Then again I've never really cared much for fancy graphics in RPG's.
I remember months and months of fun with the original Baldur's Gate when its graphics were outdated. A good, none-too-linear story will do that trick.
MJ-W4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #44
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

Current Game: liberty city stories
Is it really that impossible to have both a really good story and decent graphics.

I didn't buy a 360 and HDTV to play games with 4 year old graphics.

The Starbuck's in Bowerstone has Percolated Java Macchiatos.
Cygnus Q'ol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #45
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ-W4
I remember months and months of fun with the original Baldur's Gate when its graphics were outdated. A good, none-too-linear story will do that trick.
Don't forget Chrono Trigger now will you, that game still rocks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus Q'ol
Is it really that impossible to have both a really good story and decent graphics.
Well apart from examples such as "Mass Effect" and "The Witcher", yes. IMHO i believe that the games with top notch graphics focus on gamplay reather than a great in depth story. For example i love the Halo games and i thought the single player campaign would have been breathtaking in H3, but i was wrong, it sucked big time.
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #46
MJ-W4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus Q'ol

I didn't buy a 360 and HDTV to play games with 4 year old graphics.
I share Gargoyle_King's view in this matter: for all the games I have seen, the ones that really got you and kept you interested were always second in graphics. The point is, with time and money being short, shorter today than they were some years ago, attention to detail can either be given to blood-n-guts-everywhere-lights-flash-kaboom graphics and 'realistic' looks (hang on, we're in a faraway galaxy, and it was a long time ago), or you can turn all your skills into producing a compelling, in-depth story with characters that are more than furniture.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
MJ-W4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2007, 11:19 PM   #47
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
I placed it in the Yeah it will be DX10, but whether I want it as such I'd say no. Until M$ releases the first service pack, I wouldn't touch Vista.

Currently I'm running a pure Linux setup. No dual boot. Beating my head against the desk forcing a game to run on Linux when I know darn good and well it won't.... Then succeeding in getting it to run(and well mind you).

And for those of you talking about how great the DX10 graphics are, and how dated the DX9 graphics are, Um.... Half Life 2? They haven't really pushed the DX9 engine to its limitations as of yet. So why go to a new DX10. Heck they haven't even pushed OPEN GL to its extent yet.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #48
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
i don't care about the PC version, 360! 360!
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > DX10 for KotOR 3?