lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: WVC1 Codec
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
WVC1 Codec

I'm trying to play an HD .wmv file but apparently I need the WVC1 codec. I looked it up on wiki and it says its the Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile.

I tried a how-to here and I thought I installed it but the file still won't play.

I've tried VLC, WMP, and WMP classic. In WMP and Classic it says that I need the codec or the video can't play. In VLC it plays but the sound works but the video screws up or stays at one frame.

So can anyone tell me how or point me to somewhere that tells me how to install this codec?

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
lookeelookee'ere

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
DM - This stuff is built into WMP 11.

Either that or go the convoluted route of patching an earlier version of WMP by hacking in all the updates that are included in WMP11 lolz

The SDK, powertoy etc are great, but is more geared toward creating those files, rather than simply playing them back.

Cant say Im a fan of WMV HD... matroska is the weapon of choice for most HD geeks I know, myself included [/rhetorically stated personal preference]

*cough* because if you dont understand how it works you shouldnt bother

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7
If moel doesn't know what MKVs are he is SO out of the anime club.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2007, 01:49 AM   #5
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Don't worry jmac I'm familiar with them.

I've fairly recently reinstalled Windows so I didn't realize I didn't have the latest version of WMP.

Yeah I would have rather not had to deal with a wmv but I didn't have much of a choice without saying too much.

Anyways thanks for the help guys, works fine now.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
Don't worry jmac I'm familiar with them.

I've fairly recently reinstalled Windows so I didn't realize I didn't have the latest version of WMP.

Yeah I would have rather not had to deal with a wmv but I didn't have much of a choice without saying too much.

Anyways thanks for the help guys, works fine now.
\o/ another happy customer

Yep, unless you have a recent xp build or have incorporated updates into a build, youre lumped with WMP10 in xp

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 12-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
WMP11 is so much prettier and it comes with this uber-cool color chooser thing, compared to IE7 it's like...mighty good, me likey

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
WMP11 is so much prettier and it comes with this uber-cool color chooser thing, compared to IE7 it's like...mighty good, me likey
there was a color chooser in WMP10...my stepdau used to make her WMP10 pink all the damn time

I have to admit I dont mind WMP11, the major point for me being album details/art customisation. It was such a mess in WMP10, but in WMP11 its highly customisable, and editable for custom albums/album art. It was a godsend to those of us who use vista mediacenter as setting up the albums in WMP11 transfers to them being displayed properly in the mc interface.

There probably may be a thrid party alternative thats just as good/better, but for integration purposes, and syncing with the windows mobile devices I have, I need to use it anyway

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 12-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #9
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7
there was a color chooser in WMP10...my stepdau used to make her WMP10 pink all the damn time

I have to admit I dont mind WMP11, the major point for me being album details/art customisation. It was such a mess in WMP10, but in WMP11 its highly customisable, and editable for custom albums/album art. It was a godsend to those of us who use vista mediacenter as setting up the albums in WMP11 transfers to them being displayed properly in the mc interface.

There probably may be a thrid party alternative thats just as good/better, but for integration purposes, and syncing with the windows mobile devices I have, I need to use it anyway

mtfbwya
Well that's what I said, I just used less words

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > WVC1 Codec