lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Do's and Don'ts for KotOR III
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-02-2007, 11:56 PM   #41
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
No offense but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego Varen
Do's and Don'ts for KotOR III

The title says it all. What do you want and what do you not want to see in KotOR III, if there ever will be one. I got this idea of another forum.

I'm hoping that LucasArts and/or BioWare, Obsidian or whatever company will make KotOR III watch over this thread, since this could give them some ideas.

---------------

Do's

- Keep Obsidian as the developers.

- Keep it on PC.

- Have a subtitle for KotOR III (eg, The Unknown Regions).

- Spend as much time as you can on making it. Despite the cut content of KotOR II: The Sith Lords, I still prefer it to its predecessor.

- Include Revan and the Jedi Exile (but not as playable characters and allow the player to choose their gender and alignment).

- Include HK-47, T3-M4 and the Ebon Hawk, for they are the C-3P0, R2-D2 and the Millennium Falcon of the KotOR era.

- Have a new playable character, whose gender and alignment can be chosen.

- Have grey sided alignment, for replayability and new options throughout the story.

- Have at least four planets where the main story takes place and a final planet for the conclusion.

- Allow the tutorial to be skipped, like KotOR II: The Sith Lords.

- An interesting storyline, like KotOR II: The Sith Lords.

- An interesting villian, like Kreia (I mean Darth Traya).

- Use the Unknown Regions as a main part of the game.

- Be careful. No continuity slips or otherwise us fans won't be happy.

---------------

Don'ts

- Bring back BioWare or replace Obsidian with another company, for I and others are perfectly happy with the work they did on KotOR: The Sith Lords.

- Change the graphics or control system, unless if you really need to.

- Re-use party members from the past two games. For party members, just the Droids and Canderous Ordo (Mandalore), but cameos from the other party members, if they are needed.

- Re-use planets from the past games. Dantooine and Korriban have been used twice and I've think they've run out of potential now and use planets like Coruscant or Alderaan.

- Use Taris. As much as I like the planet, I see no reason to go back there.

- Use Peragus. As much as I don't mind it, I don't want to see a level like Peragus again, where you were half naked and weaponless.

- Use cut content, but unless if it did have a main part to play in the series, then by all means bring it back.

- And lastly, don't do drugs, otherwise we'll recieve a psychedelic game (but imagine the results).

---------------

That's all I can think of for now, but maybe someone else can think up more ideas.
No offense intended dude, but you seem caught up in Obsidian and TSL. I think you should take Bioware and it's game a little more into consideration here. Bioware is known highly for great stories and gameplay. Just look at Jade Empire. That was a great game.
Obsidian did do well on TSL as far as continuing the story, and improving the gameplay variety. But they lacked in a few areas like progression and endings. It's ending reminds me of The Sopranos!
I'm just saying you should look at both angles very carefully before making a judgement. And that's why I say bring back Bioware.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2007, 12:56 AM   #42
MJ-W4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darca Lar
No offense intended dude, but you seem caught up in Obsidian and TSL. I think you should take Bioware and it's game a little more into consideration here. Bioware is known highly for great stories and gameplay. Just look at Jade Empire. That was a great game.
Obsidian did do well on TSL as far as continuing the story, and improving the gameplay variety. But they lacked in a few areas like progression and endings. It's ending reminds me of The Sopranos!
I'm just saying you should look at both angles very carefully before making a judgement. And that's why I say bring back Bioware.
QFT.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
MJ-W4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #43
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Do:
make a third one!
Hk-47...again

Don't:
make it have online play
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #44
DarthTanro
Lurker

DO:

Actually Give us a new game
New Graphics Engine
More Content

Don't :

Release A half made story with slight gameplay improvements
Keep hinting at something but never release something
DarthTanro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2007, 03:17 AM   #45
Master Kavar

To those of you listing the canonical genders/alignment under "Do not want" (kehe), you might as well bite the bullet and just start accepting it now. Since it's been announced, Lucasarts has made every attempt possible to ram their decision down the fan-base's throat, by publishing it in every official source where they could squeeze in a mention of it (Come on, like the nameless Jedi Exile has any place being mentioned in a book about droids for God's sake). Do you think they would hesitate for a second to finalize it in the third game? Might as well expect that the male, human, lightside, jedi, version of this game is also going to become canonized when all is said and done.

That being said, just like everyone I would love to see some of the possible alternate futures created by combining the last two games and their different endings, but I'm not holding my breath.

Do Want:
  • A development schedule longer than a year. I'm more than willing to wait for a complete product.
  • Mass Effect's breath taking graphics.
  • Mass Effect's character creation process, combining a multitude of physical appearances as well as background story.
  • Mass Effect's style of seemless dialogue options and full PC voice overs. (Are you seeing a pattern here yet?)
  • Cameos. Bring back Carth, Bastila, and the entire gang from both games. I don't care how, just make it happen.

Do Not Want:
  • A new style of play. Tweek it if you must, but KotOR is an RPG, let's keep it that way.
  • George Lucas to stand anywhere within 500 feet of development. Seriously, everything the man touches now turns into...well, the Phantom Menace. Let the fine men and women of Bioware handle things from here, and go back to profiting off it.
  • Grey Jedis. Just...no.
Master Kavar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #46
Darth_Ricki
Lurker

Smile

ok well

DO
have Revan as a PC able to chose gender
Have Bastila and the gang as party members
Have the ebon hawk
make the game longer than the others. More planets more dialogs
be able to have more than 2 people accompany you on your mission
be able to have romance with any of your party members except droids of course no matter what gender you are.

DON'T

not do what I have said
have the exile in it as I didn't like sith lords

I shall think of more....

Darth_Ricki is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #47
Darth Xander
Riding Pterodactyls

Current Game: Star Wars KOTOR II
Here is my "short" list.

DO

-Choose which character you play as Revan, Exile or Kreia's Son/Daughter
-Add even more saber colours in to the game.
-Add unique saber models into the game.
-Allow a wearable Revan mask you can get from Mandalore.
-Allow you to piece togther your lightsaber.
-Keep HK-47 as a party member.
-Allow you to play as Aliens e.g Twi'leks, Biths, Duros and Rodians
-Add extra more realistic saber soudns into the game.
-Add extra party member slots
-Allow who you want in your party and who you don't
-Add a multiplayer feature like JK
-Add a party puppet for every party member only at choice
-Add Atton as a party member
- Add The Exile or Darth Revan as the final boss.
-Make time manipulation a power you can learn from Kreia (ghost)
-Let you customize your head e.g hairstyles, eye colour, hair length, hair colour and skin colour.
-Age the main character gradually.

DON'T
-Return Juhani or GOTO
-Bring back Malak
-Make the cheat console invisible
-Kill off
-Cut anythng from the game

Darth Xander is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #48
JoeDoe 2.0
n - 1

Okay, here is my list:

Do Want :

-Keep HK-47 and his smartass attitude
-More lightsaber fighting moves
-more diversity of characters
-more Force powers
-Bioware to develop the game using Mass Effect's game engine and visuals
-Better plot
-A little more background story for the characters
-More worlds
-Better Boss fights

DON'T WANT :
-Too much talking, more fighting!!
-Do not make awesome characters then later cut off their role
-Gizka
-LAME ENDING

JoeDoe 2.0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #49
Darca Lar
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Xander
Here is my "short" list.

DO

-Choose which character you play as Revan, Exile or Kreia's Son/Daughter
Kreia's Son/Daughter!? That's...creepy. An offspring of Kreia, I mean yeah like Atton said she might have been hot when she was younger but then her child would be kinda old if this was taking place after TSL. And what happened to the child when this was all happening? Why wasn't the child wiped out along with some of the other force sensitives?

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:01 AM   #50
MJ-W4

Quote:
Kreia's Son/Daughter!? That's...creepy.
There are number of hints throughout TSL that Kreia is/was Arren Kae and that Brianna is her daughter. This otherwise satirical website sums it up pretty nicely by pointing out the relevant in-game dialogues and their according screenshots. It's not canon, however.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Old 12-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #51
southern_fox
Rookie

Quote:
No offense intended dude, but you seem caught up in Obsidian and TSL. I think you should take Bioware and it's game a little more into consideration here. Bioware is known highly for great stories and gameplay. Just look at Jade Empire. That was a great game. Obsidian did do well on TSL as far as continuing the story, and improving the gameplay variety. But they lacked in a few areas like progression and endings. It's ending reminds me of The Sopranos! I'm just saying you should look at both angles very carefully before making a judgement. And that's why I say bring back Bioware.
Other than liking Obsidian's work, you took the words right out of my mouth. Bioware has an enormous amount of talent, experience, and storyline concepts to offer for any project that they work on.

Last edited by southern_fox; 12-10-2007 at 11:38 AM.
southern_fox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #52
Darth Xander
Riding Pterodactyls

Current Game: Star Wars KOTOR II
Ok maybe instead of playing as Kreia's son/daughter how about you play as Malak's apprentice.

Darth Xander is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #53
Darca Lar
Forumite

You mean Darth Bandon? He died...

Old 12-11-2007, 04:36 AM   #54
HappyMojo
Rookie

I would like:
- If the story is exciting and full of surprises, yet related to the previous.
- If the story had multiple endings.
- If you keep the basic light side / dark side theme... please no gray side... it's so un-George-Lucas-ish... Stay true to the rules created by him.
- Keep it on PC - I will actually not buy the game if it's only released on XBox 360, I don't like to play on consoles!
- If you kept HK-47! Best character in the game.
- If you didn't use any ofspring of Jolee or Kreia... That would be cheap...
- If you made more plotting then fighting, like giving the NPC's more background story with relation to the game.
- If you made more worlds to explore

Currently working on: [Fic] Honour Bound
HappyMojo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #55
JoeDoe 2.0
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Xander
Ok maybe instead of playing as Kreia's son/daughter how about you play as Malak's apprentice.

Quote:
You mean Darth Bandon? He died...
priceless

JoeDoe 2.0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #56
Steve-O Kreesh
Rookie

Current Game: G.H. - Metallica
Do

- visit more plants on your quest.

- include a lightsaber hilt designer.

- have an ending that wraps everything up and doesn't leave you scratching head (TSL).

- have downloadable content again.

-have more Wookies. (possibly a wookie jedi?)

Don't

- leave out content or rush the game into production.

- put anymore Sith tombs in the game. It's Star Wars, not Tomb Raider.

- leave out Corascant as a visitable planet. It's a must for the next Kotor.

- have Kreia, GOTO, or Mission Vao.

Steve-O Kreesh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 AM   #57
MJ-W4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O Kreesh
-have more Wookies. (possibly a wookie jedi?)
Wookiee Jedi were ruled out by GL for TSL already.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:22 AM   #58
HappyMojo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ-W4
Wookiee Jedi were ruled out by GL for TSL already.
Thank God for that lol

Currently working on: [Fic] Honour Bound
HappyMojo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #59
Darca Lar
Forumite

Yeah, all a Wookie needs is pretty much anything in their claws and BAM! They can destroy!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #60
MJ-W4

^^ Not to mention the possible futility of the lightsabre concept as such.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #61
Breger
Rookie

Hmm, I've been thinking of such a list for a while now, and here goes:

Do's:
- New lightsaber animations (Give it a more movie-like feel, if possible)
- No wierd particle effects! )Like the flat red-looking rope that wound itself around your hands when doing a Master Flurry, what was that for? I hated that effect. Same with Critical and Power attack. And no particle effect on the wound/choke/kill force powers either, those effects ruined the fun of it for me)
- During lightsaber combat, no sparks from the lightsabers, only the big lightflashes should be kept. Sparks are for swords, not lightsabers.
- Include flashbacks to the Mandalorian Wars, but better ones than those in the cave in TSL on Korriban.
- Unique lightsaber hilts for all important Jedi, and a few unimportant too. And no dull ones either.
- More support for the modders community (That's a big thing for me, because I like to mess around with my games, even though I might not release anything)
- More interactive NPC's, that walk around talking to each other, maybe even brawl in the cantinas over a sabbacc match.
- More planets, both known and unknown. I would like to set foot on Coruscant, maybe tread inside the Jedi Temple and the Senate.
- Bring back a few old characters, depending on the timeframe.
- Create a flashback where you see Darth Nihilus be born on Malachor V, or something like that. Either way, give him a small appearance, even if it's only in a dream-like vision.
- Bring back my hero, Trask Ulgo, the most efficient and most interesting and well-developed NPC of all times! Even beating Kreia! I mean, seriously, his dialogues are the coolest out there, "To move the camera, move the mouse to either edge of the screen", nothing can beat that! He taught you everything he knew, and he fought against a Dark Jedi (Bandon), and probably died, but still. Bring him back for the tutorial (A flashback to the Endar Spire!).

Dont's:
- Re-use some known Sith Lord from the other two games, unless it is Kreia, but she should only have a short appearance as a Force Ghost.
- Umm... A few things people already have mentioned, plus my own "Do's"-list but the other way (Meaning that they cannot not do it).

That's my list.
Oh, and I'm very serious about that Trask Ulgo-part.
Breger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2007, 11:51 PM   #62
Darca Lar
Forumite

You know what would be cool to have? A throttle-type hilt that when pulled makes the blade extend and change color like in the New Jedi Order Series. That chapter in Onslaught was awesome!

Old 01-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #63
Iron Rose
Rookie

Do's
-made by Bioware
-Better combat animations (especially lightsabers)
-New Player character but Revan/Exile included in story
-Revan/Exile deaths (but only if they contribute to the story and are memorable)
-on PC
-longer/more planets
-Deep/well written story
-unique villan
-party members who can be killed/leave party
-some in-jokes (refrences to the films, other Star Wars games)

Don'ts
-Ship before fully completed
-Mass Effect chat system (I prefer to get to choose exactly what I say)
-fully voiced PC
-Dantooine
-all non droid party members can become jedi (it just doesn't feel very realistic)
-all party members don't question your descisions, stick by you no matter how much you abuse them/go against their ethics.
Iron Rose is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #64
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
DOs:
- Get Obsidion to do it.

- Kill revan, he's boring me.

-People may disagree but I don't think you should be a massive hero, I would like it you are a Republic Commander or something then you became Jedi.

- Use same sort of graphics

- Have it on PC and normal xbox

- Make it a next-gen game too, i'd love to have KOTOR sitting in my Xbox 360.

- KEEP IT AS AN RPG

- Include the Ebon Hawk, T3 and HK.

- Include new planets. e.g Mustafar, Kamino, Geonosis, Coruscant, Alderaan.

- I think it would be good to have Tatooine again only have it in Mos Eisley.

- [POSSIBLY] Tanis Space Station as a sort of prologue like Peragus, as seen in Star Wars Galaxies.

- Have new corporations and enemies. e.g GET RID OF CZERKA AND THE EXCHANGE

- Have the 9 party slots as usual, but have a few ways to replace some of the party members e.g Kill them, Kick them out, You find someone more important to the game plot and replace them.

- Have the option to actually join The Jedi or Sith, it is annoying how you HAVE to kill a sith for the conclusion of the two games. It would be better to have the option of joining the sith and kill a main Jedi as a conclusion.

- New Character to play and new party members

- The ability to JUMP.

- The ability choose Gender

- Romances

- Have certain times that in certain battles when som1 in your party die, THEY REALLY DIE FOR GOOD.

DONTs:

-Make it a MMORPG
-Have Bioware make it.
- Have random battles that actually have no purpose.
- Have another Cliffhanger like in the cut version of TSL
- HAVE ANOTHER REALLY REALLY BORING PROLOGUE LIKE PERAGUS. I liked Taris because it wasn't COMPLETELY HOSTILE and it was a large place which you could explore and roam about freely. Plus it was less gloomy.

I have to say I liked KOTOR the best than TSL. It was less gloomy and it gave me a lighter feeling and I was never bored. In TSL it gave me a bit of a dark, gloomy feeling because it was constant problems and constant hostilities. Yes you can roam freely and stuff but I want the NPC's to sound and act more cheerful than TSL. Oh an DO NOT MAKE ANOTHER KOTOR WHERE THERE IS A BORING BIT LIKE PERAGUS THEN YOU HAVE TO GO TO BORING TELOS BEFORE YOU CAN TRAVEL TO PLANETS AS YOU PLEASE. Another thing you shouldn't do is make another prologue where all the hostiles are mostly droids. I like Taris coz there were Sith, Swoop Gangs, Aliens like Rakghouls etc.

thats all from me see ya

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #65
MJ-W4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolv
I have to say I liked KOTOR the best than TSL. It was less gloomy and it gave me a lighter feeling and I was never bored. In TSL it gave me a bit of a dark, gloomy feeling because it was constant problems and constant hostilities. Yes you can roam freely and stuff but I want the NPC's to sound and act more cheerful than TSL. Oh an DO NOT MAKE ANOTHER KOTOR WHERE THERE IS A BORING BIT LIKE PERAGUS THEN YOU HAVE TO GO TO BORING TELOS BEFORE YOU CAN TRAVEL TO PLANETS AS YOU PLEASE. Another thing you shouldn't do is make another prologue where all the hostiles are mostly droids. I like Taris coz there were Sith, Swoop Gangs, Aliens like Rakghouls etc.
Hence: K3 = BIOWARE

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Do's and Don'ts for KotOR III