lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Draft Bag
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
revan7189
Rookie

Draft Bag

I was recently hearing news on how the draft bag might be coming back. What are your thoughts on this? Also one of my family members said that if you have sibling serving than you wont be drafted is this true?

revan7189 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
True_Avery
Banned

I am confused on the topic. Could someone fill me in?
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Well, we're an Army family. I've never heard of a draft bag before. The Department of Defense has not said anything about re-enacting the draft, and probably won't. We'd probably be one of the first to know since Jimbo helps do dental in-processing and out-processing for soldiers and they would need to be prepared for the influx of recruits.

1. There is at this time no draft, and hasn't been for over 30 years.
2. The DoD has not stated they are re-starting the draft.
3. Whether family members are serving or not is irrelevant, since there's no draft.
4. If you want official information on the draft, the Department of Defense or the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marines sites would be more accurate sources on this issue.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
I am confused on the topic. Could someone fill me in?
It is a bag used to carry your mini-kegs of draft beer in. Personally, I am all for draft bags as long as you are not driving.

If you are talking about a military draft, no need to worry about that until at least after November 4. It would be political suicide for either political party to allow the draft to be reinstated before then. IMO it will not even happen after that because it would still be political suicide for the next election. The military will just have to offer bigger incentives and reduce their requirements further.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
A draft has to be authorized by the Congress and approved by the President of the United States. The Department of Defense alone does not have the authority to institute a draft. So, even if President Bush decided that he thinks a draft is a good idea Congress would have to approve, which they won't, so as I stated in another thread...those of you who have no desire to serve...don't worry about it.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/deplo...aftprocess.htm

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Corinthian
Banned

Anyway, what's this Draft Bag? I assume it's not Mimartin's guess.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Well, I'm pretty sure it's not that way on the US, but here, all male over 18 must enlist and become reservists until the age of 33. Of course, it's not like Israel, where every adult receives that much of military training (females included), but we can be convoked, if the land is in need. Since our country isn't really military active, it doesn't really bother much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
His second guess is accurate, though.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Corinthian
Banned

I wasn't aware they called the Military Draft the "Draft Bag".
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I wasn't aware they called the Military Draft the "Draft Bag".
Well, better than his first guess.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
What do you mean guess? I own a few draft bags. The only reason I said mini-kegs is because when you try to carry 16 gallon kegs in them, they rip. The only reason I assumed he meant Military Draft is because the only thing controversial about Draft Bags is we have laid off all the American producers of Draft Bags and shipped all Draft Bag making jobs to China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del
Well, better than his first guess.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del
Well, I'm pretty sure it's not that way on the US, but here, all male over 18 must enlist and become reservists until the age of 33. Of course, it's not like Israel, where every adult receives that much of military training (females included), but we can be convoked, if the land is in need. Since our country isn't really military active, it doesn't really bother much.

In the U.S. all males 18 and up are required to register with the Selective Service Commission. Basically that means that if a draft is ever instituted they are entered to have their number called. They do not owe any military obligation otherwise nor are they considered reservists.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #12
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos
In the U.S. all males 18 and up are required to register with the Selective Service Commission. Basically that means that if a draft is ever instituted they are entered to have their number called. They do not owe any military obligation otherwise nor are they considered reservists.
Like it is here, after all. But if they are registered and can be called when on need, then they are reservists.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Draft Bag