lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Views on Sith
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #41
Corinthian
Banned
 
Corinthian's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,165
I dunno, you're pretty safe under Sith Rule if you're in Middle Management - not important enough to warrant getting choked by Vader, but too important to get shot by the Heroes.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #42
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,578
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
I don't deny that there are evil deeds done by Sith. In reality I would tend to agree that the Sith are evil(according to MY beliefs of what good and evil are), but I also believe that you should question your beliefs of good and evil. You cannot deny that the Sith know how to get things done and in some cases do so in a very appropriate manner. Jedi would let it get caught up in endless debate, while the planets get slaughtered by Mandalorians. Revan in turning away from the council and the jedi, and forming an army of those who turned away from the council prevented the deaths of countless worlds. The Jedi would have let it go to committee... Under Sith rule you were pretty safe so long as you weren't a jedi(and did your job right). Granted they had a lot of collateral damage, but... they got the job done.

Do you consider it evil to drink alchohol? Some cultures do. Do you believe it is evil to kill only female babies? Some cultures find it acceptable. Is it evil to kill a mass murderer? Some say it is. Is it evil to kill animals, even for food? Some people find that is even evil. Evil is VERY much a subjective thing. Some of you might even consider accepted and legal business practices evil.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #43
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
I would consider evil to be something along the lines of "I'll kill you all because I can, because I have the power to do so," a trait common to Sith.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #44
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,192
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
^^^

True, Palpatine wrote a book about it...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_W...s_of_Inferiors


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #45
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
That is quite interesting...

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #46
Kain Darro
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12
One of the things about the morality issue here, the one dealing with the fact that there is no god in the SW universe, therefore no absolute morality, could be thought of as false.

If one reads the Neanderthal Paralax by Robert J. Sawyer (3 books, Hominids, Humans, and Hybrids), The neanderthals have a different morality system, based on the fact that they do not believe in god or religeon. There is no afterlife for them, thus, no fear of burning in h-e-double hockeystick. Rather, they believe you are judged in life, and there is no way to repent after you die. Thus, you live the best way you can with others, doing good to others as you would have them do to you. If everyone works together and is being "exelent to each other", to quote a movie we all know and love, everyone benefits and the quality of life is better for all.

I think that is the morality base for the SW universe, and what the jedi subscribe to in the extreme. The sith, on the other hand, believe that through one individual controling absolutely, society will be stable and the average citizen of the chosen class or race has nothing to worry about.

Really, that is true. In the Empire, if you were human, joe-schmoe, you would live a long, productive life, and maybe even be happy. You had a home, food to eat, and a job to provide income, thus all the little consumer products you wanted. If you were a non-human sentient, though, boy did it suck to be you.

The sith are evil, by the commonly accepted, current, real-world moralities of earth. They murder, enslave, butcher populations, force their absolute will on everyone, and oppress anyone who disagrees with them in the slightest. They are also considdered evil in the star wars universe by the majority of sentients because of those very reasons.

But that's just how I see it.
Kain Darro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #47
Caedus
Rookie
 
Caedus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 18
The Sith are not naturally inclined towards evil. The Sith way is the way of peace.

Consider Darth Vectivus (I believe that was his name). Ever heard of him? No? That's because he wasn't a power-hungry egomaniac out for power over the galaxy or trying to wipe out the Jedi. He did no evil. He just existed, learned. Died of old age, surrounded by family and friends.

(That is all very well explained in the book "Betrayal", book #1 in the Legacy of the Force series)

That is why the Sith should rule. Palpatine was simply power-hunrgy, and that was his entire problem. Anakin Skywalker was afraid of losing his one true love, Padme, and that is what brought him down. The Sith view love as something to embrace - and be able to sacrifice. Anakin completely and utterly failed to learn this lesson, and he paid the price for it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Jedi, but the Sith seem to have the right idea.
Caedus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #48
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
I seriously doubt that this "Vectivus" fellow can even be called a Sith at all.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2008, 12:23 AM   #49
JediMasterJambi
Rookie
 
JediMasterJambi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I'm In The Box Right Next To You, The One With The Floating Disembodied Head In It
Posts: 99
The Life of a Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Ty
The Sith are not naturally inclined towards evil. The Sith way is the way of peace.
Code of The Sith
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

>_< Sorry, had to call you on that one.
Before I go off into my rant, I will say that Sith do have their good points...
They encourage others to be self reliant, in a way, and to aspire to be stronger individuals. A common flaw in todays world is that people have this idea that..."The person who I am is fine, and I should be accepted by everyone for it." Because of that, people don't aspire to become MORE than what they are. Not to mention, that way of thinking leads to everyone WANTING acceptence, and no one GIVING any out.
Sith are always aspiring to become stronger, and more powerful. Which, to an extent, is good. The Sith also encourage taking action. Again, to an extent, this is a positive trait.

But thats where it ends. Those 2 points don't even really apply for reasons that follow.

Going back to the Sith wanting to become stronger individuals, they pass the threshold. They seek strength and power at ANY cost, sacrificing everything. Loss of friends, family, possesions, loyalty, trust, body parts, etc.

Taking action, again, they pass the threshold. Constantly chosing action, never considering consequences. Making huge mistakes, overlooking manny problems, missing other possibilities.

They live by "survival of the fittest." and sure, its not THAT bad if your on top, but your never on top for long. Their apprentices constantly betray them. And so they constantly live in paranoia of everyone around them.

You break it down and it amounts to living your life betraying, killing anyone in your way, sacrificing anything you have, never considering consequence, afraid of trusting anyone, deceiving everyone you know, all for the SMALL POSSIBILITY you MIGHT ONE DAY become the top dog. And even IF you get there, it dosen't end. Because now your head is the trophy all other Sith are wasting their life trying to acquire.
No true happiness comes from that life. Its a hollowed life, with mabye a few hollow thrills.


Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho
Your wish is granted...
Long live Jambi...
JediMasterJambi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2008, 12:29 AM   #50
RobQel-Droma
Blah
 
RobQel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Up yours. X0
Posts: 2,216
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Ty
The Sith are not naturally inclined towards evil. The Sith way is the way of peace.
Tell that to Mr. Johnson who just got sabered in half by Darth Viddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Ty
Consider Darth Vectivus (I believe that was his name). Ever heard of him? No? That's because he wasn't a power-hungry egomaniac out for power over the galaxy or trying to wipe out the Jedi. He did no evil. He just existed, learned. Died of old age, surrounded by family and friends.

(That is all very well explained in the book "Betrayal", book #1 in the Legacy of the Force series)
What a loser.

As I recall, I don't think Lumiya ever really revealed if "Vectivus" was real, or just an illusion, did she?..... She could have very easily made him up, just like everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Ty
That is why the Sith should rule.
Even if what you say is true, it has never been done. So are the Sith really better? No Sith has ever managed to be this kind of person, because it doesn't seem to work out.
RobQel-Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #51
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001
I seriously doubt that this "Vectivus" fellow can even be called a Sith at all.
Darth Vectivus on Wookiepedia

I personally don't think that this man should have been considered a "Sith". I think that he violates the Sith Code... he was an outlier if you ask me. If you look at other 'Sith', they certainly don't act the same way.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-13-2008, 02:53 AM   #52
Ben Bryddia
Rookie
 
Ben Bryddia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 71
Dude, Sith consider love abhorrent. Or did you not listen to good ol’ Master Uthar when he tested Revan on the Sith Code.
“The weak deserve their fate” and “It is not our duty to bring death to all who deserve it” –Darth Bane: Rule of Two.
TKA-001 and Rev7 are right, Vectivus is even less a Sith than Kaan and his Brotherhood of Darkness, which tried to institute equality. The true Sith (no, I’m not talking about THE True Sith) believe equality is also a lie, which gives birth to the above quotes and the mad Sith power struggle.

As for what Caedus said about Lumiya, may I point out the passage in Inferno where Alema Rar meets with Darth Kryat’s Sith order on Korriban (In the very same academy we all know and love) one of the Sith knights stated that Lumiya and Vergere had chosen to turn Jacen to the dark side in order to give Kryat’s order more time to build strength and numbers. In light of this, it seems Lumiya may very well have been lying about Vectivus. Though it may be she herself believed it judging on her actions and her APPARENT lack of hatred for Luke.

“Palpatine was simply power hungry, and that was his entire problem.” Dude!? Seriously, all true Sith crave power above all else. “Through power I gain victory, through victory my chains are broken. The Force will free me.” Every Sith from Naga Sadow to Freedon Nadd and Exar Kun to Revan, Malak, and the like all crave the ability to fulfill their inordinate desires. A few may start out desiring to do good, but the power twists and corrupts them into mere skeletons of their former selves; deep down the dark side also leads to severe loneliness as JediMasterJambi pointedout so artfully.


"Raking is easy, but all you get is leaves. Digging is hard, but you may find gold.”
-John Piper

“Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.”
-God

"Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!"
-Feanor to Morgoth
Ben Bryddia is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Views on Sith

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.