lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Airline Safety: Check this article out
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Airline Safety: Check this article out

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...0000689813.htm

I just posted the link because the article is three pages long, but it certainly made me think a little bit about the people that are responsible for airline safety.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Seems like another place where it's open season on whistleblowers. I fear they are being exterminated.

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Very interesting. It made me think too.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Well if you really want to feel good about air safety...

The Sydney Morning Herald

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
nice...*sigh* I hate air travel

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
I love it.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
Well if you really want to feel good about air safety...

The Sydney Morning Herald
Well the co-pilot fell ill but there is noting that says that he was suicidal. The situation has been handled professionally and nothing demonstrates that the safety of the people on board was compromised at any time. Apart from technical aspects there's a reason why there's alway at least two (and on long haul flights, up to 4 pilots taking turns ) on board a commercial aircraft. The flight was diverted according to usual procedures that apply when only one pilot remains at his post.

There might be some failures sometimes (as in anything else) but flying on commercial airliners is still the safest way to travel...I fear crazy drivers much more. For commercial airlines in 2007, there have been 631 fatalities worldwide (http://www.ascendworldwide.com/story.aspx?story=147) on about 40 million flights and billions of pax . You can also find US statistics here: http://www.ntsb.gov/aviation/stats.htm

( US air vs road stats: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._86504189/pg_1 )

Last edited by Darth333; 02-01-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: adding details
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2008, 07:27 AM   #8
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
There might be some failures sometimes (as in anything else) but flying, especially in developed countries and/or main airports, is still the safest way to travel...I fear crazy drivers much more.
QFT

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Someone posted the following link as a comment in the BusinessWeek article JediAthos linked to.

http://www.cannonfalls.com/main.asp?...ectionID=3&S=1

If one assumes this letter was written by the same Mark Lund featured in the BusinessWeek article (it's possible they're not) does that impact your view of this individual?

With respect to aircraft maintenance, I know it's something I always have in the back of my mind. When flying on a commercial aircraft one must trust that the mechanics and technicians that service the plane have not ignored maintenance issues with potential to cause serious problems. And on an aircraft there aren't many maintenance issues that don't have that potential. It's a level of trust that doesn't come easily to me.

As the BusinessWeek article references, the commercial airline industry has had unprecendented safety records for the past few years. Most of the aircraft incidents I know about were caused by human error, possibly excepting the most recent incident when a British Airways Boeing 777 that semi-crashed at London Heathrow. I hope management at all airlines understand that safety, including proper maintenance of aircraft, should be among their very top priorities. All they need to do is remember what happened to ValuJet after their flight 592 crashed in the Florida Everglades to understand what can happen to an airline for whom the flying public has lost trust in.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Airline Safety: Check this article out