lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: "coreward" databases?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Aeroldoth
Rookie

"coreward" databases?

Let me preface by saying that this is my FIRST time playing K2, so PLEASE no spoilers.

With that said, I have a question. I am exploring the mining colony at the beginning and have come across an HK protocol droid. During discussion, it says some of its information might not be correct since, "the coreward databases are notoriously spotty." At first I thought that it might be referring to an internal computer component, since it is also complaining of errors with its vocabulator. However, one of your possible responses is: "That information isn't in the coreward databases, only in [some other area]."

I began to wonder if perhaps the voice actor might have slurred some words here, or maybe even the subtitler misheard his speech. As I thought about it, it seemed far more comprehensible if the line went: "the core world databases are notoriously spotty."

Has anyone else wondered about this; has it been addressed? Does "coreward" appear anywhere else in the game? (it didn't in K1)?
Aeroldoth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
The HK droid is referring to some kind of InfoNet on the Core Systems (Coruscant, Corulag...). They form some kind ward, after all.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Aeroldoth
Rookie

So, it's actually correct?!

If it is in fact some kind of InfoNet as CAD says, why isn't it capitalised? Why not "Coreward" databases, or even "Coreward Databases"?

Without saying when or where, does 'coreward' appear again elsewhere in the game?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:48 AM   #4
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
^^Not really. It's a throwaway line of dialogue, just a bit of backstory. TSL is too busy juggling so many things plotwise, you'll soon forget about it.

Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
I began to wonder if perhaps the voice actor might have slurred some words here, or maybe even the subtitler misheard his speech. As I thought about it, it seemed far more comprehensible if the line went: "the core world databases are notoriously spotty."
I never really noticed that. I assumed it was therefore "Core World Databases".

Unlike Mace MacLond, I think that small 'flavor' information is actually, well, rather important. Later on, you'll learn some more secrets, and assuming you play the dialouges correctly, the whole conspiracy will all make sense. But you might have to play through more than one time, due to Influence, and choosing the right dialouge choices to learn the truth.

But if not, you can always PM me. After you beat the game, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

^^^Rather important? I don't remember anything that hinges upon that quote that a player wouldn't find out just by playing the game and plodding through the influence system. Damn, what did I miss...?

Old 01-24-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
Jasper_Kazai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
^^^Rather important? I don't remember anything that hinges upon that quote that a player wouldn't find out just by playing the game and plodding through the influence system. Damn, what did I miss...?
I think he's making abstract connections that aren't really there.

Jasper_Kazai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
Actually, you would likely find it out by playing the game and plodding through the influence system. But this is the first time you actually, uh, see it. And I mised it during the first playthrough anyway, so it was just a warning. Anyway, to prove that this isn't an abstract connection, SPOILERS BELOW:

spoiler:
You hear information from Goto about the fact that someone actually posted public information about you, The Exile, on the coreworld/'coreward' databases (which confirms what the HK-50 said before). That was how the HK-50s know about you and why they are hunting you down. But said information is not actually supposed to be on the databases. It was supposed to be classified information in the Jedi Council Archives.

That someone who posted the public information was Atris, as you learn from the dialouge choices when you attack Atris. Atris arranged for you to arrive to Telos, and meanwhile leaked information about you onto the databases so that the Sith Lords may come out of hiding to attack you. Atris hoped to use you as bait, so that she can find the Sith Lords and then kill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2008, 02:51 AM   #9
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

^^Oh, ok.

spoiler:
Well, no, G0-T0 tells you that he's the one that set the HK-50's on the exile, remember?

As for Atris...well, I never knew that. Huh.

Anyway Aeroldoth, there's nothing of Earth-shattering import in the 'coreward database' reference. And with TSL's idiotic insistence of burying plot points in the influence system, it's entirely possible that you'll play through the game 10 times before finding everything. Or, like myself, you'll play through about 20 times and still not get everything. Enjoy.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
Aeroldoth
Rookie

Thanks. I never expected the reference to be of major importance... it's just that I'm a stickler for details. I have already seen quite a few misspellings, awkward phrasings, and some lines and responses that make absolutely no sense. I am discovering that the text in the game is "unpolished", and while it may not matter to others, such things really irk me.

I suspected this was one such instance but wanted to know if, by some chance, it was actually correct.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #11
Jacen Stargazer
Rookie

Well, type-o's aside, the dialogue and writing in the KotOR games is some of the finest in modern video gaming, as I'm sure you'll find later in the game.
Jacen Stargazer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #12
Aeroldoth
Rookie

Well, I've now finished my first game. Yay!

And to answer my own question, I see now that the reference does appear again...

But, having seen it appear more than once, I still think it makes more sense as "core world" than "coreward".
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > "coreward" databases?