lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #801
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
For all the people who don't have any of the next-gen systems, of course! They are making TFU for PS2, and the next-gen systems, so why can't Bioware do the same? Just a thought. I guess if the game ever does come out for the next-gen systems I will have to hold out on getting it. For a while at least.
Making games for the original Xbox has been discontinued.

I think this has all but been confirmed. Hopefully we'll hear something official soon besides them saying it was a slip up.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #802
dowon
Rookie

KOTOR's Future Uncertain at IGN

Quote:
KOTOR's Future Uncertain
LucasArts confirms MMO, but it's not Knights of the Old Republic.

February 14, 2008 - IGN recently reported on a list of upcoming games unveiled at EA's latest investor's meeting. During a presentation entitled "Best Creative Talent," EA touched on a number of titles that were considered the pinnacle of design, putting amazing creative talent to work on building inspiring worlds and impressive games. Along with the announcement of new titles from EA, a slide showing some titles (both old and new) was showcased during the conference. While some games, BioWare's "New MMO" included, are obviously referencing games to come, EA has contacted us further and commented that not every game mentioned is upcoming.

So where does BioWare stand in all of this? We know there's a new MMO on the way, and that both EA and LucasArts have acknowledged this publicly, but there's no definite answer on whether or not we'll see KOTOR's return in the future. In contacting LucasArts about its works with BioWare, and the possibility of a future KOTOR product, the company stated that, "Yes, we are working with BioWare. We've announced that we're working with the developer on a project, but it has nothing to do with Knights of the Old Republic."

We'll have more news on BioWare's MMO, and future LucasArts projects, as news develops.

Last edited by dowon; 02-14-2008 at 07:48 PM.
dowon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #803
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Hmmm... Wish Bozon from IGN had cited who from LucasArts made this statement. I certainly hope we get news of KotOR 3 sometime this year.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #804
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Yeah, thats a HUGE let down. What could they be working on if its not KotOR, and why anything else? It's so obvious that all the LucasArts and Bioware fans want KotOR the most, why not give it to us? UGH.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #805
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air

Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
Well, they said that what they're working on has nothing to do with KotOR, but what they didn't say was whether it had anything to do with Star Wars or not, so it probably is set around the films, whatever it is, which is a letdown for me I was really hoping for a KotOR MMO or KotOR III.

Master Zionosis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #806
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
That stinks. We probably won't see a KotOR III for a little while longer. Or, a lot a while longer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
Making games for the original Xbox has been discontinued.
Unfortunately, you are probably right. Eventually I will have to get myself one of these next-gen systems. :/

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #807
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie

Quote:
Wish Bozon from IGN had cited who from LucasArts made this statement. I certainly hope we get news of KotOR 3 sometime this year.
Me too, for both the former and latter. I saw it last night and reported it for EU Cantina, but I was disappointed by the lack of citation. I'm glad it finally clears come of the confusion up, although fanboys/girls will be fanboys/girls.

I'm guessing and hoping that after TFU we'll hear about both the Bioware & LA project, which I'm thinking is a new SW MMO or a revamp on Galaxies (can Bioware acquire the contract?). As for Obsidian, check out this article about a new job opening. Pretty interesting...

Founder & PR of EUCantina.net -- All Expanded Universe, all the time

Last edited by Son of Skywalker15; 02-15-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Son of Skywalker15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #808
dowon
Rookie

Obsidian is currently working on Aliens RPG and an unannounced RPG; both with Sega.

Obsidian Hiring Designers!
Quote:
-Love of fantasy, science-fiction, and/or the Aliens franchise
-Must not be afraid of monsters or exhibit xenophobia when confronted with alien models of horrifying realism
Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #809
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Current Game: Pheonix Wright
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic
I don't want a stupid MMO. SPRPG!!!!!! That site is a crock anyways, BioWare won't be saying anything until LA tells them to, and they're certainly not going to in regards to KOTOR. We'll never see #3, it's already been 4 years.
You can never give up hope. Oblivion was released in 2006 nearly 5 years after Morrowind. When the game series was already beginning to die out. Half life 2 was released in 2004 almost 6 years after the first Half Life

Games can always be popular and since Kotor has been getting a lot of attention we are bound to have a sequel soon

"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #810
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie

Actually, IGN wasn't the first, nor last, to post it. It was very interesting and it actually, for a little bit, made some sense. However, I think this should teach everyone to only trust LA, Obsidian, or another's developer's word.

Founder & PR of EUCantina.net -- All Expanded Universe, all the time
Son of Skywalker15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #811
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
KotOR III Concept art found? canceled, or in the works?..

Article: http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-116147.aspx

Concept Art: http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...undPeg/KOTOR3/

Last edited by adamqd; 02-27-2008 at 01:46 PM.
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #812
Adept Havelock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd
KotOR III Concept art found? canceled, or in the works?..

Article: http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-116147.aspx

Concept Art: http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...undPeg/KOTOR3/
Probably, but I wouldn't get too excited. The dates on the pics are all August of 2004.
Adept Havelock is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #813
sayoko
Rookie

Was my first impression aswell Have, 2004 dated on many of the pics. So it can be TSL concept art aswell. Seeing how lucasarts pushed obsidian to release TSL i doubt they would spend 4 years on Kotor3.
sayoko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #814
90SK

Interesting. It certainly looks like Star Wars concept art. Whether or not it belongs to KotOR III is anyone's guess, but like Adept Havelock said, I wouldn't get too excited.

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #815
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90SK
Interesting. It certainly looks like Star Wars concept art. Whether or not it belongs to KotOR III is anyone's guess, but like Adept Havelock said, I wouldn't get too excited.
Dates of photo's noted, and excitement under wraps on first viewing
Just thought folks might wanna see it

Old 02-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #816
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Looks nice. Could've been KotORIII concept art, if so, probably from the canceled project.

Last edited by Miltiades; 02-28-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #817
schirminater
Rookie

http://www.jzconcepts.com/images/website/hidden_links/

It does say KOTOR 3. Which has to mean that they either canceled it, post postponed it, or have been taking their time.
schirminater is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 07:08 PM   #818
sayoko
Rookie

Ye that point is for sure valid, but it does not really mean KotOR3 is in works or planned, could be they had TSL and K3 planned allready because the first game was so nice and when the rushed TSL wasnt as successful they decided against it.

But well:-) we shall see...hopefully anytime soon what the "LA/Bioware interactive conspiracy product" and the "TopSecret mysterious infamous Bioware MMO" are about
Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #819
Sharen Thrawn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoko
But well:-) we shall see...hopefully anytime soon what the "LA/Bioware interactive conspiracy product" and the "TopSecret mysterious infamous Bioware MMO" are about
First. We already know the "LA/Bioware interactive conspiracy product" is NOT Kotor. LucasArts confirmed this:
Quote:
"We've announced that we're working with the developer on a project, but it has nothing to do with Knights of the Old Republic."
Second. EA said that "The MMO in development at BioWare Austin is listed a 'New MMO,'". I think there's little room for a speculation here.

And finally, Chris Priestly from Bioware cut off all the speculation:
Quote:
I can say there is no KotOR3 from BioWare since there is no KotOR3 from BioWare.
Bioware is NOT working on Kotor 3, neither on Kotor MMORPG. And it seems that Obsidian is not either, since they're currently busy with developing Aliens RPG game, and unannounced title for Sega. Wich means Kotor 3/MMO is not being developed at this time.

EDIT:
Some interesting discovery. I typed "Dashaad" in Google, and came across www.studiodenmark.com, wich appears to be a website of artworks/illustrations/concepts designers. One of them is Molly Denmark, who has worked copule of times for LusacArts already. I checked her gallery, and found this:

Dashaad:

Taloraan:

Ossus:

Right now I'm 100% sure these (as well as James Zhang's ones) are indeed the concepts from cancelled Kotor3 project. It seems that pre-development started in the middle of 2004 (and after short time the project was cancelled. What a coincidence. It happened shortly Jim Ward became LucasArts President). The pictures I posted have 2004 date on them. Same as in Zhang's. Also, the name of planet Dashaad appears + you can see the same ship as in this James Zhang artwork. A little comprasion:

No more proofs needed. All of the concepts looks great! Hopefully more will leak!

Last edited by Sharen Trawn; 02-28-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Sharen Thrawn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #820
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
After looking at the wonderful concept art I wonder...

What if LA just wanted to wait until better gaming technology came out? So they can improve the graphics and game play.
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #821
Devilsfanatic

You know.......the gaming industry has these things called Non-Disclosure Agreements that they make people sign if they want to keep things under very tight wraps and if you do something to jeopardize that secrecy then you'll get fired. What if all LA and BioWare and EA employees with ties to a KOTOR 3 project have been made to sign a NDA? They could vehemently deny it even if it were true.

Darth Milhouse
Devilsfanatic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #822
sayoko
Rookie

Well after seeing these concepts its obvious that they afaik at least had K3 in mind and did some early work on it. I just hope they pick this up again or all kept lying to us and then in some weeks or month perform a : "Hey, sup guys? did we mention that Kotor3 is ready?! no? oh sorry for that here it is" + "Ow BiowareMMO got renamed to KotOR MMO" ...no one can deny us some dreamin eh?:-)
Old 02-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #823
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
That concept art is amazing. I too hope some more (if there is more) will leak. The Sith Troop Transport might be a dead givaway, but that was in 2004....

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #824
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharen Trawn
First. We already know the "LA/Bioware interactive conspiracy product" is NOT Kotor. LucasArts confirmed this:
Quote:
"We've announced that we're working with the developer on a project, but it has nothing to do with Knights of the Old Republic."
I was rather skeptical when I read this article by Bozon of IGN since the sub-title of the article is "LucasArts confirms MMO, but it's not Knights of the Old Republic." I know of no such confirmation of an MMO from LucasArts. Of course it wouldn't be a surprise if LucasArts is working on a new MMO but as far as I know LucasArts hasn't confirmed any MMO development apart from SWG. And I also didn't care for the fact that Bozon didn't provide a name for his source at LucasArts. All-in all fairly sloppy reporting that made me wonder if he got the quote right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharen Trawn
Second. EA said that "The MMO in development at BioWare Austin is listed a 'New MMO,'". I think there's little room for a speculation here.

And finally, Chris Priestly from Bioware cut off all the speculation:
Quote:
I can say there is no KotOR3 from BioWare since there is no KotOR3 from BioWare.
Bioware is NOT working on Kotor 3, neither on Kotor MMORPG. And it seems that Obsidian is not either, since they're currently busy with developing Aliens RPG game, and unannounced title for Sega. Wich means Kotor 3/MMO is not being developed at this time.
Alas my hopes for KotOR 3 have been dashed once again. I don't know if I'm willing to subject myself to much more KotOR 3 torture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schirminater
And looking above, the hiddenlinks web page is no longer working. Which means, LA knows we know. Lol
Yeah, LucasArts should be quite aware of these images at this point but my guess is the hidden links web page on James Zhang's personal website were taken down by Mr. Zhang himself since all the hits those pictures were taken exceeded his site's bandwidth allocation and made it inaccessible.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #825
schirminater
Rookie

Quote:
my guess is the hidden links web page on James Zhang's personal website were taken down by Mr. Zhang himself since all the hits those pictures were taken exceeded his site's bandwidth allocation and made it inaccessible.
That too. Lmao

Char Ell, do you think we'll get a statement about these discoveries from LA?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #826
sayoko
Rookie

I dont think they will, there has been so much rumours, conspiracy about it and they havnt made a statement yet. Bioware stated sth, and EA did but i havnt seen LA answering any question, and even the denials are written in a way that leaves allmost everything uncertain.

The denial of the IGN news for example was formulated like this "we are not _neccesarily_ making KotOR3 atm" could mean "we dont" or "we are but we dont tell you if we are".

I hope that the next GamesConvention in Leipzig will bring up some news of all the projects LA and Bioware are working on atm.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #827
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Char Ell, do you think we'll get a statement about these discoveries from LA?
No, I don't think LA will release any official statement. Maybe someone from LucasArts will make an off-hand comment in an interview but I think that is most we can expect.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #828
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Looks to me more like concept art for TFU. After all, TFU and a supposed "Kotor 3" have been known to be confused a lot.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #829
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Agreed, the picture of the planet/facility called taloraan is basically this place in TFU... (Probably the skies of Raxus Prime)

Old 03-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #830
sayoko
Rookie

Well LA has said that they werent sure in the start in what timeline TFU should be placed, or if it should be some sort of a sequel to KotOR. So it wouldnt be a surprise to me if these concepts were made for the game now known as The Force Unleashed.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #831
schirminater
Rookie

The artwork came from a folder on James Zhang's site titled KOTOR 3. Therefor it is not for TFU.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #832
sayoko
Rookie

I know that fact, it doesnt say anything tho as i said LA wasnt sure if they are going to make a K3 or a game in KotOR universe so it wouldnt be to surprising if JZ made concepts for sth that was back then meant for a Kotor game.

The concepts from MollyDenmark arent labeled as K3 concepts for example and its possible that they recycled some of the concepts for TFU.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #833
Seamhainn
Forumite

Quote:
The artwork came from a folder on James Zhang's site titled KOTOR 3. Therefor it is not for TFU.
Where is that folder. I did not find it...

EDIT: Found them meyself. Thanks! Date is of 2004 (!).
Seamhainn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #834
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
The latest information calls that into question:
http://www.eucantina.net/archives/452

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #835
schirminater
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious
The latest information calls that into question:
http://www.eucantina.net/archives/452
The artwork was in a folder on his personal website (I saw it) and people then saved the pics to their own photobucket accounts.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #836
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
If you look at Zhang's images, they appear to have a 'KotOR II' theme. I wonder if these were left over concepts for 'KotOR II', which were done in house at Lucas Arts.

Could LucasArts wanted to work on 'KotOR II' in house, so they started on a series of concepts?

Could these have been the concepts for the canceled 'KotOR III', which they started some time in 2004/2005?

I think people are jumping to conclusions too soon. I think both questions above can be argued. The female clothing for Naresha looks like it belongs to Bastila. Vargess is definitely a Czerka officer.

Another thought that came to mind is: Could this be the 'KotOR' theme, which was supposed to be used before "The Force Unleashed" was revamped?

Who knows? -- Is Darth Vader really Luke's father? Stay tuned for...

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #837
DarthSquee
Rookie

I honestly don't care who works on kotor 3. As long as it gets done, fully. Both Obsidian and Bioware are qualified. Oh well, back to mindlessly hoping and waiting.

Last edited by DarthSquee; 03-06-2008 at 07:22 PM.
DarthSquee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #838
dowon
Rookie

Another Star Wars MMO rumor

Quote:
Possible Star Wars KOTOR MMO Evidence Surfaces
Anonymous tipster adds to the growing pile of speculation.
By Steve Watts, 03/06/2008

After BioWare and LucasArts made a deal last year to work together, the internet was ablaze with speculation about a new Star Wars MMO in the works. It makes sense considering the popularity of the Knights of the Old Republic series from BioWare and the much poorer status among fans of the non-BioWare Star Wars Galaxies. We more recently reported that the game was in fact a new MMO set in the KOTOR framework, a claim that was quickly denied by Electronic Arts.

Today, a tipster contacted 1UP with portions of a script for what was said to be a "Star Wars online" game. The script's description of the game reads:

"This is a role-playing game set in the historical past of the Star Wars universe. Jedi and Sith battle across the galaxy with the power of the Force and are joined by soldiers, politicians and nobles. Players must choose the destinies of heroes and villains in a thrilling and dangerous universe."

Historical past? Jedi and Sith battling across the galaxy? To we Star Wars nerds, that sounds quite a bit like the "Old Republic" timeline, which BioWare Senior Writer Drew Karpyshyn helped flesh out with the KOTOR series and by penning the Darth Bane novels.

The script goes on to show an exchange between the player and a character named Fuse, a naive bomb designer. The portions of the script that we received are fairly heavy with dialog, which isn't typical for an MMORPG, but it does read very much like a script to a KOTOR game. This could mean that the two projects are still separate. On the other hand, the game was described to the tipster as an MMO, and "heavy dialog" is practically BioWare's calling card.

1UP contacted LucasArts about the script pages we saw, but unsurprisingly their response was not forthcoming: ""We don't have any comment beyond what we've already announced."

This isn't quite a smoking gun blaster yet, and our contact isn't Deep Throat; but the script looked legitimate and the style and tone of it shares a lot in common with the BioWare games we already know, including the more recent (but fairly similar) Mass Effect. We'll keep you posted as more news surfaces.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #839
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
I like that KotOR gets that much attention, but I'd rather get rumors of a Singleplayer Kotor3 than a KotOR MMO. If LucasArts hasn't decided yet, I hope they don't get ideas of all those rumors of a KotOR MMO.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2008, 12:21 AM   #840
The Architect

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/852/852342p1.html

Well, I can tell you guys that this LA Bioware MMORPG is definitely not KotOR III, which is great news in my book.

"Here is my final point. About drugs, about alcohol, about pornography and smoking and everything else. What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I ****, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?"

~ Bill Hicks
The Architect is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)