lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The state of the world, do you see hope?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
The Maverick
Lurker

The state of the world, do you see hope?

I've always been a strong, positive person, and I used to feel that I could create my own destiny. However, the state of the world is so bleek. It seem that no matter what I do, whether it's go to college or pursue my interests in television, that my efforts may be in vain. The world is in such a mess with wars, a deteriating economy, global warming and high gas prices that it's discerning and discouraging. Do you think that there is hope for the future?
The Maverick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Do you think there is none?

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
patient_zero

I think it depends what kind of hope you're looking for.

Are you looking for personal hope?
"Will I get this job?" "Will I pass this exam?"
Because personal hopes and dreams can be fulfilled if you try hard enough (Though I admit there's a degree of luck involved).

Or are you looking for worldly hope?
"Will we have peace?" "Will we solve the fuel crisis?"
Because to be honest, I don't think any one person can answer that. It takes a worldly effort. But I suppose most evils are done by the good that stand by, so if there's some issue that's really bugging you can join an action group about it. At least then you'd feel you're part of the solution, and that might give you hope again.
patient_zero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
"There never was much hope, just a fool's hope."

I lost my hope in mankind a long time ago.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
There's as much or as little as you choose to believe that there is. "Hope" is a decision that individuals choose to make. It's not a tangible thing that can be measured for baseline comparisons, statistical analysis, etc.

Last edited by Achilles; 03-07-2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: I ar good spellor. Grammor two.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Hope is something that is determined by a level of possibility and plausibility.

With that said, I have hope that I can make things work out for me and those I surround myself with. However, hope for mankind in general? Hell no.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
millinniummany3
Banned

I understand what you're saying, it can seem bleak when you look at all these things you want changed, especailly if you feel impotent about not being able to change them. I would think if only the Democrats had power, if only our country had a new leader, things would change. Sometimes it does. But you lose your mind trying to fix everything.
millinniummany3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
Jvstice

Oh that. It's all cyclic trends anyway. Not to say that it's not worth trying, because it is worth making your own time better, but things always come back around again.

"If force is the game, the murderer wins over the pickpocket." Ayn Rand

"Justice is the midpoint between being treated unjustly, and treating others unjustly." Aristotle
Jvstice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 02:33 AM   #9
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

As long as you all are sowing the seed of love, there is hope. ^^

Old 03-07-2008, 05:53 AM   #10
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Considering the intricacies, complexities and unpredictability of the human mind, I'm forced to believe that no, there is absolutely no hope for this world. Then again, I'm not the sort who believes that we can ever have perfect utopia or even perfect dystopia, simply because since every person is different, every person has their own way of viewing this world's mess, and hence, even the concept of 'hope', 'destiny' and 'future' are debatable.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #11
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

Then let's define "no hope" first.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
I see hope for the world through my religious beliefs, but I must admit the world is really messed up and it's better to do something about it than to hope for it to get better. What can I say? - The nature of the Human race is of self-destruction. But what we can do is all band together an and least give the effort to make the world a better place. Even if the goal seems inpossible, and the problem is never fully fixed, the effort will make it somewhat better.

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #13
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

Oh, self destruction is good. That's why we made it throughout a whole history of 2 million years.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
What can I say Ray Jones? We are like cockroaches. You can kill with every known method and somewhere they still exist. Maybe that's the way how we should see ourselves. Even with a crummy world we still have things like hope and whatnot and we have persevered. So maybe there is hope in the world but we get caught up in our own lives that we forget to look at the road ahead. We see the turn but not the road ahead.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #15
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
The state of the world, do you see hope?
Yes.

*It was the hope of Nazi Germany to resurrect the Holy Roman Empire.
*It was the hope of Karl Marx to change the economy and start a Communist Revolution.
*It was the hope of terrorists to stop Americans.
*It was the hope of George W. Bush to liberate Iraq...

Hope is what causing death, destruction, misery, and evil. Get rid of hope, replace it with cynicism, and the world will be a darker, but overall a better place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #16
Corinthian
Banned

Get rid of hope? That's the worst idea I've heard in years. You get rid of hope, you get rid of ambition. Without ambition, the human race stagnates. Furthermore, without hope, no one has any reason to live and we all start offing ourselves. I mean, I suppose a huge Hope-Bomb might be useful if you're an environmentalist who wants humanity to die, but otherwise, it's pretty much a horrible idea.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #17
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Hope is what causing death, destruction, misery, and evil. Get rid of hope, replace it with cynicism, and the world will be a darker, but overall a better place.
Sounds like you are already on that path. Of course in this case you may have mistaken hope for idiocy such as the case with *cough* Iraq.
Of course you could take the road for the rest of us that believe that hope is a good thing in your cynical eye. The we would be less miserable as you stated. Better to have little than no hope at all.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #18
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster12
What can I say Ray Jones?
Aaiididelygack!?

Quote:
We are like cockroaches.
We are more like the ancestors of those small creatures that somehow survived a several mass extinctions a couple of million years ago, just like cockroaches.

Quote:
You can kill with every known method and somewhere they still exist.
It's not the cockroaches' fault.

Quote:
Maybe that's the way how we should see ourselves.
Maybe we should stop looking at ourselves from time to time, just to take a look on what else there is.

Quote:
Even with a crummy world we still have things like hope and whatnot and we have persevered.
I know.

Quote:
So maybe there is hope in the world but we get caught up in our own lives that we forget to look at the road ahead. We see the turn but not the road ahead.
I am father of two children. The life I am "caught up" in is my road ahead.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #19
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.dictionary.com

hope–noun 1. the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best: to give up hope.
2. a particular instance of this feeling: the hope of winning.
3. grounds for this feeling in a particular instance: There is little or no hope of his recovery.
4. a person or thing in which expectations are centered: The medicine was her last hope.
5. something that is hoped for: Her forgiveness is my constant hope.
–verb (used with object) 6. to look forward to with desire and reasonable confidence.
7. to believe, desire, or trust: I hope that my work will be satisfactory.
–verb (used without object) 8. to feel that something desired may happen: We hope for an early spring.
9. Archaic. to place trust; rely (usually fol. by in).
—Idiom10. hope against hope, to continue to hope, although the outlook does not warrant it: We are hoping against hope for a change in her condition.
Well, here is the definition of hope...

I honestly do think that there is hope - Rather - I know that there is hope. I think this because of my beliefs. I probably would say, w/o my beliefs, that there is no hope because the world is continuing to deteriorating, and everyday life is getting much harder. I do believe that our (the people that inhabit the world, and animals if you really think about it) world is going to continue to just go downhill. That is my side on this topic...

~Rev

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > The state of the world, do you see hope?