lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Reverse discrimination!
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-10-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
Sun-Shine
Lurker

Reverse discrimination!

I just started a new job, but I'm miserable. When you look at t.v. there is a certain look that's considered ideal or attractive. To no fault of mine, I fit that ideal. You also hear lots of stories about people being discriminated against because of they don't fit into this ideal mold. However, due to the way I look, I'm experiencing reverse discrimination. I am very efficient and already my boss has commended me for doing a great job. However, I work with engineers, who resent me. The show me no respect and are down right rude to me. I was recently told that it was because of the way I look. Another co-worker just told me that she over heard someone saying that they don't like "that kind" (referring to me). Hey I'm not an engineer, I'm doing administrative work and I don't even have a college degree yet! But I'm a good person and I'm smart. When I go to college, I want to get my degree in a lucrative career such as engineering or a doctor. That's why I chose to work at this company. I previously asked the question "Can a person get by on their looks alone". And I took heed to all of the good advice that I received. Now I see that your looks can hinder you, unless your on t.v. or modeling. Should I play down my looks and dress down to gain respect and to get ahead?

Sun-Shine
Sun-Shine is offline   you may:
Old 03-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Well, I saw a segment on a show once where they took the same girl and had her make her presentation in two different modes of dress, both to men and to women. The "sexy" version got the men's attention, but failed to convince them on her pitch. The more "professional" appearence worked better with both groups. Don't know how you dress when you go to work, but it might not hurt if you're attractive to play some of that down. The girls may feel less threatened and the guys might take you a little more seriously. Of course, they just might be jerks too.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may:
Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun-Shine
Should I play down my looks and dress down to gain respect and to get ahead?
Well, that depends. Do you dress like a hoochie?

Because if you do, true professionals are not going to take you seriously.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may:
Old 03-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
Just ignore those morons who discriminate aginst you. They're wrong. And if they don't stop, tell to your boss about it.

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may:
Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
^^^
That would probably cause more problems than it would solve.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may:
Old 03-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Dress in a business-like, professional manner--you'll never go wrong dressing that way.

Sun-Shine, this is a forum to discuss serious issues, and while your issues might be serious, this isn't a Dear Abby advice column....

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 03-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
rictus135

Don't worry, I would never reverse discriminate. I would just be one of the creeps hitting on you!

So, uhh..... do you have any photos of yourself?

Seriously though, If you feel better about yourself wearing what you want, then wear what you want. But if if you are getting dragged down by these guys dress "sensibly" (proffesional clothes, very simple makeup and jewelery) for a while until they get to know you, then go back to wearing what you like and they will no longer care.

There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm not too fat. I'm alive aren't I?
rictus135 is offline   you may:
Old 03-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Come on people. There's ways to look amazing while still being professional. It's not some standard of "Conservative skirt/pant suit and little makeup". While little makeup should be the goal of any logical person, you can still dress up and be professional. It's all about dressing yourself appropriately. Correct proportions, colors, etc.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may:
Old 03-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Samuel Dravis

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
a Dear Abby advice column....
"Dear Lucasforums,

In my work I have been constantly hated on by sex-starved men because they see how incredibly, dazzlingly, stunningly beautiful I am (through no fault of my own, of course) and are jealous. Wat can I do?

Gorgeous from SoCal"

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may:
Old 03-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
And on that note....
Locked.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Reverse discrimination!