lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Adventure games in the Source Engine?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-02-2008, 01:28 AM   #1
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

Adventure games in the Source Engine?

I wonder if you can make Curse of Monkey Island/A Vampyre Story sort-of games in the Source Engine. I mean 2D background art with 3D characters. Does anyone know anything about this?
Kroms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2008, 02:53 AM   #2
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Fix the camera and get the perspective right and that's entirely possible. 'Wacky' Day of the Tentacle type perspectives would be a little more difficult maybe.

But is Source capable of the complex processes required in an adventure game? Dialogue trees, an inventory of items that can be used together etc.? I really have no idea.

Interesting concept...

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
I think it definitely would be possible... my brother was playing a game a while ago which looked just like one. Look up "Weekday Warrior" - I was impressed.

James Isaac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

It's interesting. I mean you don't get the you know, the part-of-the-background-that-can-be-examined like the cannonballs in Monkey Island 3, but you can do a quirky Telltale Sam and Max thing...Probably...
Kroms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Huz
Coconut in the lime

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
I've just played Weekend Warrior through. It's a very interesting example of what it's possible to achieve in an off-the-shelf FPS engine, although the fact it's been "knocked up" by some students in a few months is painfully evident.

With a little bit more attention paid to camera positioning and movement, this game would have felt so much more cinematic and innovative. As it is, its static camera angles remind me of Grim Fandango - no bad thing - but the uninspiring moving-camera scenes are more akin to Tomb Raider, the camera always pointing exactly where you don't want it.

Oh, and for anyone still clinging to the idea that some kind of wacky hybrid between direct control and point-and-click should have been used for Grim Fandango and Mokee 4, just give Weekend Warrior a try. The controls are horrible.

"I once ate a teabag" - Thrik
The Huz Experience
Huz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Time for a Huzblog review I think. ;

It may influence whether or not I download it!

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > Off-Topic Mayhem > Adventure games in the Source Engine?