lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Darth Malak impressions [spoilers]
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Darth Malak impressions [spoilers]

What was everyone's impression of Darth Malak when they first played K1?

I loved every aspect of the game so I'm really nit-picking here, but I was a bit disappointed with Malak as a Dark Lord of the Sith. Maybe it's because I knew he was always Revan's (or "my", rather) second-fiddle, but he wasn't as evil/threatening/scary as other Dark Lords of the Sith I've encountered in other realms of the Star Wars universe (Sidious, Naga Sadow, etc.). The fight at the end was also easier than I expected, which didn't help to bolster my fear or opinion of Malak.

I guess, to sum it up, Malak seemed powerful and evil enough to be a decent apprentice, but not enough for a true Dark Lord of the Sith. Did anyone else get that impression or am I just being too picky?
Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Paddythegreat
Rookie

He was a vader rip off, because he never actually beat revan aswell you knew you'd win :/
Paddythegreat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
He was a bit cliche but still a great baddie by any standards, what's Star Wars without a bit of Cloak n' Dagger

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
patient_zero

I clicked here expecting to see a video of someone doing a Darth Malak impression. Hmph.

I quite liked Malak as a villain. I know he wasn't very deep, but he was an enjoyable adversary, one you want to fight because of the planets he's destroyed (And out of an odd sense of revenge for him having wronged the Dark Lord of the Sith). Alright, so he did steal a few traits from Vader, but he was a typical Star Wars villain, evil to be beaten by good (or succeeded by a greater evil).
patient_zero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by patient_zero
I clicked here expecting to see a video of someone doing a Darth Malak impression. Hmph.

I quite liked Malak as a villain. I know he wasn't very deep, but he was an enjoyable adversary, one you want to fight because of the planets he's destroyed (And out of an odd sense of revenge for him having wronged the Dark Lord of the Sith). Alright, so he did steal a few traits from Vader, but he was a typical Star Wars villain, evil to be beaten by good (or succeeded by a greater evil).
Haha - I'm sorry to disappoint. I'll see if I can get the video camera set up and post to youtube with my best Malak impersonation. Ok, I won't really.

After re-reading my original post, I think it came across as overly critical of Malak. I didn't despise him as the antagonist, but always thought of him more as a Sith apprentice.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
First impression of Malak? I've met scarier kittens.... After that I thought he was abit like cheddar....

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Darth_Raptura
Rookie

I honestly thought he looked a little geeky. I mean, whats up with the skin tight suit?

Once I actually started playing, I did enjoy having him as an adversary. the way he is described in TSL as being brutal and obvious, while not making him very deep, at least serves to contrast him with both your character and some of the other sith.
Darth_Raptura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I thought Malak was a standard villain, not very original but the only definite flaw was his evil laugh.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
My answer won't really add anything new to this, but I too think he's a Vader rip-off.

At least the comics try to bring more depth to his character.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2008, 01:39 AM   #10
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Eh, I think that Darth Malak could have been way better. Should have been better...

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
I think he was okay for what he was supposed to be. Could've been better, could've been worse. He may be very reminiscent of Darth Vader, but I think that's what they were going for; the whole game feels like it's supposed to be reminding you of the Original Trilogy. You could say Zaalbar is too much like Chewie, or the Ebon Hawk is too similar to the Millenium Falcon, but I think it was all intended.

And the scene where you see him without his jaw just creeped me out.

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #12
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine
You could say Zaalbar is too much like Chewie.
Except for his life-bond to Mission and yourself and the fact that he is a Wookiee, I don't think he has anything else of Chewie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine
And the scene where you see him without his jaw just creeped me out.
You can call that another reminiscing. Vader without helmet on ESB is just the same.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.

Last edited by Ctrl Alt Del; 04-13-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del
Except for his life-bond to Mission and yourself and the fact that he is a Wookiee, I don't hink he has anything else of Chewie.
Also, his stomach's bigger than his head. That basically fills the trifecta.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #14
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
^ Aw, but Chewie was quite smart. But he did have a really big stomach, so the brain is proportional.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Chewie walked directly into the ewok trap in ROTJ despite being warned not to.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Yeah the missing jaw scene was creepy - the best movie involving Malak, I think.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #17
Gawain
Lurker

To answer the question that started the thread, I think it depends on how a Sith apprentice can become the master under the Sith code. If the code states that an apprentice killing his master in any way or taking advantage of his master's demise is legitimate succession, then Malak meets this criterion and is a Sith Lord. But if the code requires an apprentice to directly kill his master or directly arrange for his master's death in order to succeed him, then Malak isn't a Sith Lord.

My own thoughts are that he's a bit of a usurper because he didn't actually kill Revan or arrange for Revan to be killed. But he's still a fun villain and I like the echoes of Darth Vader (the Sith Lord imho) that the designers put in Malak's character.
Gawain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
Ben Bryddia
Rookie

The jaw scene was really nice. I also liked (as Ctrl said) what Dark Horse is doing with him in the comics. A contrast with the usual Ulic/Anakin/ et cetera manner in which Star Wars heroes fall. But at the same time I do think he looked strange in the orange suit (I have the PC version) and the fact he was extremely tall was a tad strange as well. Still, I prefer a contrast to the almost, no certainly, cliche version of Sith Lords that has emerged after the prequels: a dark figure in dark robes with a red lightsaber. Give me Kun, Ragnos, or Sadow any day. (Revan is obviously not cliche because his mask is imitating the Mandalorian helm.) I think the character could have been more original, but without developing a complicated backstory in the game it is unlikely it could have been accomplished with grace.

-Bearer of the Krijinia.

"Raking is easy, but all you get is leaves. Digging is hard, but you may find gold.”
-John Piper

“Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.”
-God

"Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!"
-Feanor to Morgoth
Ben Bryddia is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #19
dirkjedi
Lurker

I think Malak was a true Dark Lord of the Sith. He might not have directly engineered the circumstances that led to Revan's ship being boarded but he 'did' take advantage of the of the situation. As we know betrayal is part of the Sith way and how else do you take down an opponent who's strength is greater than yours?

i agree Malak's character was definitly based on Vader, the only difference is that Vader was never truly the Dark Lord; Sidious/Palpatine was. that's my thought on it.
dirkjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #20
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkjedi
As we know betrayal is part of the Sith way and how else do you take down an opponent who's strength is greater than yours?
You don't. Because the Sith do that to ensure that the stronger domain. Of course, that's theory; Sidious killed Plagueis on his sleep.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #21
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Well that's cuz Sidious is a sissy girl.

When even Malak is tougher than you, you know it's bad.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #22
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
I was actually pleasantly surprised with Malak. Granted, after seeing the villains of nwn, I didn't exactly expect much but still... Of course had I played Jade Empire before seeing him, I would be visiting Biovare HQ, pitchfork in hand

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Republic Newsfeed > Darth Malak impressions [spoilers]