lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Lucasforums upgraded
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-24-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Lightbulb Lucasforums upgraded

Lucasforums has now been upgraded to vBulletin 3.7. There are some minor changes to the layout of the forums, along with a fair amount of new features.

If you notice anything that doesn't look or work like it should please post about it in this thread.

Here is a quick list of some (but by no means all) of the new features available in the new version of the forum. Please note that some of these features might be disabled in the future depending how how well they work out.
  • Multiquote - You can toggle multiquote for posts by clicking the quotation mark icon in the lower right corner of the post. Any posts selected this way will be quoted in your post when you click the "Reply to this thread" button.

• Linked quotes - Automatically generated quotes will now include a quick link which takes you to the post that has been quoted when clicked.

• Improved text editor - The text editor (where you write posts etc) has been improved with several new features making it easier and less annoying to use.

• Thread tags - When posting a thread you can specify a number of tag words that are relevant labels for that particular thread. When clicking on a tag in the tag list of any thread the forum will list all other threads that also had that tag word speficied. You can also use tags when searching for posts.

• More BBCodes - A number of new BBcodes used for formating text in posts have been added. The full list can be viewed here.

• AJAX features - Various features now use AJAX to allow you to quickly change things without having to reload the whole page. These include:
    • You can mark a forum as read by double clicking the icon to the left of the forum name.
    • Name completion for PM recipients, buddy/ignore list etc. Begin typing and the forum will show a menu with matching member names.
    • You can change the title of a thread by double clicking the area next to the title link (not the link itself) in the forum listing.
    • You can edit your posts directly in the thread display when using the edit link.
    • Viewing an individual post by a member on your ignore list no longer requires the page to reload.
    • You can edit your public profile information (interests, location etc) directly on your profile page.

• PM BCC - When sending PMs to multiple members you will now have place recipients in a blind carbon copy list to hide who else has receive the PM (like it worked before). Names placed in the regular "To" field will be viewable by all the recipients.

• Signature image - Like with your avatar, you can upload an image to use in your signature, lessening the need for using external image hosting services.

• Member Profile - The member profile screen has been greatly expanded to link together social networking features, blogs and picture albums with the normal profile information. There is a "public messaging" feature that allows members to leave messages at the profiles. You may also review any infractions you have received on your own profile.

• Picture Albums - You can host a number of pictures in your profile and arrange them into thumbnailed albums where public comments can be left for pictures. Albums can be publicly viewable, or restricted to only members on your Contacts list. Standard forum rules about what is appropriate applies to picture albums as well; LucasForums staff can view albums restricted to contacts.

• Social Networking - The new forum version includes various social networking features:
    • Friends/Contacts - The buddy list has been replaced with the Contracts and Friends lists. Your Friends will be viewable in your profile with quick links to their profiles. Friendships are mutual, i.e. anyone you add to your friends list must give their approval. Contacts, in addition to working like the old buddy list, can be used to limit who may leave public messages on your profile and do not have to be mutual.

• Social Groups - Social groups offers a mini-forum of sorts where members can leave comments and share images in their albums. Groups can be public where anyone can join, or invite-only. Groups can be moderated by the group leader. Please note that normal forum rules also apply to social groups, and LucasForums staff can view invite only groups.

• Calendar Events - You can now add events to your private calendar that will show up as a reminder on the forum front page at the specified dates. Staff members can post public events visible to all visitors, while regular members can post private events visible only to them.

• Blog - You can now create a blog from your user control panel screen, or read other people's blogs by choosing "Blogs" in the quick links pulldown menu at the top of the forum pages. How many blog entries you have, along with a link to your blog, will be shown beneath your portrait on each of your forum posts.

The forum upgrade also offers lots of new functionality on the moderator side:
  • Inline moderation - You can select threads in a forum display and choose a moderator action to perform on them from a menu at the bottom of the page. Similarly posts in a thread can be selected and an action applied to all of them. Threads can be locked/unlocked by double clicking the status icon to the left of the thread title in the forum display.

• Infractions - Infractions formalize the handling of moderator nudges and warnings. Click on the yellow/red card icon on a post to issue an infraction for that post. Posts that have had an infraction issued have a yellow or red card indicator in the lower bar. Members will be sent a PM about the infraction they've received along with the moderator's note/motivation.

Each infraction is worth a certain number of points/strikes. Once a member has accumulated a specific amount of infraction points automatic measures might be taken, such as a ban from the forums. Members can review any infractions they have received on their profile screen.

• Deleted/Moderated message lists - You can view any messages or threads that have been soft-deleted or sent to the moderation queue from your usercp.

• Moderation tools - A number of new features for moderation is available:
    • Spam prevention - Moderators can delete messages "as spam", taking appropriate action against the poster and deleting any other posts they have made.

• Copy posts - Moderators can copy selected individual posts from a thread into either a new thread, or merge them with an existing one.

• Move posts - Moderators can move selected individual posts from one thread into either a new thread, or merge them into another existing thread.

• Merge posts - Moderators can merge selected posts in a thread into a single post (to fix double-posting or the like).

• Thread redirects - When moving a thread you can now specify how long the Moved: redirect notice will remain in the old forum.

• Announcements - Announcements can now be added directly from the forum tools menu in a forum section without having to go through the moderator control panel.

• Integrated reports - You can now view all reported posts in forums you moderate directly in the forum. A message on the front page and in the top navigation bar will indicate any open reported posts.
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 01:39 AM   #2
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Thank you for your work on this!

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I just have to say, it's beautiful work. Good job and congratulations, you guys.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 02:44 AM   #4
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
It is a little different, but different is good. I have to say that I too like the upgrade, so thank you! I think that you did a great job with it.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Finally AJAX posting! Among a lot of other cool features.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 03:00 AM   #6
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I'm loving all the new features here! Props to tk, stoffe, and anyone else involved in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 03:25 AM   #7
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Sweet, sweet AJAX! *kisses admin staff*

I was kind of hoping the avatar size limit would be increased, though.

And why do we have to specify a Favourite LucasArts game in the User CP? Why must there be only one?

And this should prolly be expected or something, but I'm having a bit of a slowdown with the forums here.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 04:01 AM   #8
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Verrry nice.

Glad you got it all up and running.

So quickly too!

Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
That's not set by the vBulletin version. It's set by the admins.

Oook, sorry to be the first one to do this but...

I HAVE A PROBLEM

I can't edit my Profile information!

Every time I hit save it tells me the entry in the height in cm field isn't formatted right.

Even if I haven't enetered anything in there!

(Yes i've tried entering something in there and no it still doesn't work.)

Visit the new JediKnight.net!

Last edited by Marius Fett; 05-24-2008 at 04:26 AM.
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 04:25 AM   #9
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Thanks for all the new features. It looks good so far and I'll be excited to try it out.
Diego Varen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 04:35 AM   #10
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Thanks for working on this, guys; makes the forums that much easier to use . Congratulations on it all working as planned.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #11
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Awesome work on the upgrade, I'm liking it so far.

I'm not sure if this is a 'bug' or not but sometimes when I click on a thread, edit my profile etc the page sort of flashes for a second and then returns to normal as if It's reloading the page again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Same. :3

Last edited by Pho3nix; 05-24-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #12
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
Awesome! Keep up the good work guys.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #13
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Thanks for all the hard work! *Bows repeatedly* we're not worthy!

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #14
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Sweet

Thanks to all the staff that worked on this; every change was a good one.

I'm kind of interested to see how the social networking's going to go though

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #15
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Looks a lot more professional. I like.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #16
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Everything looking amazing so far. Special mention to the quotes.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #17
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
And why do we have to specify a Favourite LucasArts game in the User CP?
Believe it or not by setting this to "required", many spambots were defeated. Now that we are using re-CAPTCHA and registration, I think it's safe to make this field optional again.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #18
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Thanks to tk102 and stoffe and anyone else who worked on the upgrade! Starting to check out the new features now.

Loving the multi-quote feature!
Also glad to see that moderators and the forums they moderate are now displayed on the staff page

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Last edited by Char Ell; 05-24-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: additional comments
Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #19
matt--
Network Un-exploder

LFN Staff Member Notable contributor 
Good work all all-round.

Anyone else seeing an issue with this popup layer?

(Using Firefox 3 beta 5, linux)
Attached Images

LFNetwork and LucasForums.com
matt at lfnetwork dot com

Last edited by matt--; 05-24-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added browser details
matt-- is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #20
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I have the same issue with Firefox 2.0.0.14 on Windows XP.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #21
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-- View Post
Anyone else seeing an issue with this popup layer?
(Using Firefox 3 beta 5, linux)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
I have the same issue with Firefox 2.0.0.14 on Windows XP.
Have you tried doing a hard-refresh of the page (CTRL + F5 in Firefox)? For some reason the browser didn't fetch the updated stylesheet for the front page, making it look like that for me as well initially. After doing a hard refresh the menu displays properly though.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #22
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
When I was going to change my avvy, this message came up : "You may not upload animated images."

Is this intentional?

Old 05-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #23
tk102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
When I was going to change my avvy, this message came up : "You may not upload animated images."

Is this intentional?
Was a default setting. Try again now.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #24
Ferc Kast
Modder

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Veteran Modder 
LF looks much cooler & better; Still, what is the "Project Tools" option in the User Control Panel? And how does one edit it to use for any (mod) projects?

Ferc Kast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #25
tk102

The addition of new projects is done via the Admin Control Panel. Adding a new project is akin to creating a new forum.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #26
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I probably haven't seen all the new features yet, but what I did see so far, I liked very very much. Great work!

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #27
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
Have you tried doing a hard-refresh of the page (CTRL + F5 in Firefox)? For some reason the browser didn't fetch the updated stylesheet for the front page, making it look like that for me as well initially. After doing a hard refresh the menu displays properly though.
Worked for me. Otherwise no problems so far.

Also, gotta love the maintenance picture, I had this one as avatar once. Who chose it?

And I have another question...why is it that I have options like nuke thread, ban user, and reboot server in my user cp now? XD

Good work y'all, with this particular job and overall, here's my personal cookie for you:

-- "You know what, Chuck Norris once went into Burger King
where he ordered a Big Mac. .. And he got one."

-- "Oh goodness, mother's right. You sound like your father!"

Selfmade. ^^

<3

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2008, 11:08 PM   #28
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
Nice work! Though I'm not quite sure what the 'picture albums' are for.

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2008, 11:11 PM   #29
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Uploading pictures.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 04:21 AM   #30
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102 View Post
Was a default setting. Try again now.
It's working properly now thanks.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:46 AM   #31
Hayden Kered
Veteran

Helpful! 
Nice upgrade and very useful changes!

I QUIT LF!
Hayden Kered is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #32
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
cool beans, Im liking it

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #33
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
It's still very blue around here...Apart from that it pwns

Yeah I've noticed the forums seem way more responsive now as well, unless it's some secret power reserved for mods that I hadn't heard of yet...Posting and editing posts seems to go much much smoother now...

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #34
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Agreed. I really like how the page doesn't need to refresh (for the most part) in order to post things.

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #35
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Link

This stuff costs a pretty penny, so thank you again.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #36
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
Very nice update... now I can start using AJAX and the extra BBcodes that used to only be available on other forums I went to...

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2008, 11:46 PM   #37
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
Uploading pictures.
Yeah, but I'm just not sure why it's needed... There's other places to upload pics on the 'net, and it seems like it would increase bandwidth use of this site. But maybe that's not a problem.

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2008, 01:43 AM   #38
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

I like the updates especially the blog

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #39
littleman794
Rookie

the upgrades are pretty sweet..

Cry me a river, build me a bridge and get over it.
Music is like candy, it is only good without the rapper.
When all is said and done, too many people keep on saying and doing.
littleman794 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #40
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

yep, they rock

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Forum Help & Feedback Center > Lucasforums upgraded

Tags
features, feedback, forum, upgrade, vbulletin