lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: LucasFiles Overhaul... Would you be interested?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

LucasFiles Overhaul... Would you be interested?

The site has been lifeless for a while now, but would anyone be interested in giving LucasFiles an "overhaul"?

It's been pretty much dead for a while and maybe it's time to bring it back to life? Add some nifty new stuff to it etc.

Would anyone be interested in this?

If enough people seem interested, maybe some of the more "tech savvy" staff around here and "tech savvy" members would be willing to have a go at bringing LucasFiles back into the living world?

If people are interested and the staff do decide to have a go at bringing it back count me in as help.

Visit the new JediKnight.net!

Last edited by Marius Fett; 05-26-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Aristotle
Seeker of Justice

LFN Staff Member 
Naturally we would support any type of initiative in that regard. It has been on our "to do" list for a while now... so if enough folks want to assist, that would be fantastic.
Aristotle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
Naturally we would support any type of initiative in that regard. It has been on our "to do" list for a while now... so if enough folks want to assist, that would be fantastic.
Well, if you make a decision to do some "restorative" work on the site, like I said i'll help in any way I can.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Aristotle
Seeker of Justice

LFN Staff Member 
Well, see who you can round up for a team and we'll see if we can't give it a go. We can make it a lucasforums project (Our first use of the project tools?) .. but we'll need some coders, html gurus and some graphic wizards to do it right...

Start rounding up a team and we'll see what we can get put together.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Quote:
Well, see who you can round up for a team and we'll see if we can't give it a go. We can make it a lucasforums project (Our first use of the project tools?) .. but we'll need some coders, html gurus and some graphic wizards to do it right...

Start rounding up a team and we'll see what we can get put together.
I'll see if I can't find a few interested people then see where we go from there.

Glovemaster has agreed to do some coding and html wizardry and I know he's great with this kind of thing so it's definitely a start.

Also, I know an amazing graphics artist here on the boards so i'll ask if he'd like to join when he comes online next.

I'll keep asking around.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
Aristotle
Seeker of Justice

LFN Staff Member 
Sounds like a plan... we can make an announcement post about it in a while... but feel free to post in some of the forums that you are putting together a team.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Quote:
Sounds like a plan... we can make an announcement post about it in a while... but feel free to post in some of the forums that you are putting together a team.
I'll do just that.

Nice to see the staff are open to suggestions and input from us lowly members...

Old 05-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
glovemaster
Now-a-days GroovyCarrot

Current Game: No time for games, sadly
Helpful! 
Marius had just asked me if I'd be interested in helping with this and I said I'd be glad to help
Since you need "some coders, html gurus" I'd be happy to assist. I can code HTML, PHP and JavaScript, kinda all you need for web design I suppose. I can do graphics, but don't expect anything elaborate from me .

If you're looking for any of the junk I did a few years ago; you can probably still find it all on filefront
glovemaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I'm no stranger to Photoshop, so I could probably help out with graphics, unless there's someone better for the job. I worked with Dreamweaver and Frontpage, but the stuff I did involved no HTML coding, so I'd be pretty useless there. However, if you need someone to design the banners, buttons etc, like I said, I'm pretty good with Photoshop.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Fett View Post
Nice to see the staff are open to suggestions and input from us lowly members...
It's supposed to be like that imo, since this is a fan-based community.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman View Post
I'm no stranger to Photoshop, so I could probably help out with graphics, unless there's someone better for the job. I worked with Dreamweaver and Frontpage, but the stuff I did involved no HTML coding, so I'd be pretty useless there. However, if you need someone to design the banners, buttons etc, like I said, I'm pretty good with Photoshop.
I'm in pretty much the same boat as you.

I think I know an awsome graphics guy who can help as well as another awsome coder so I think we would be set to go!

Plus I think tk and stoffe would probably be on the project too so we may have this covered if you join.

I'll leave the final decisions to Aristotle however as he's the guy in charge.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #12
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I'm willing to help out, so if you guys need me, all you have to do is let me know when the decision's been made.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #13
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Thanks for the interest igyman.

If anyone else wants to help let us know.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #14
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Depending on what you need I'm happy to help out

I would also reccomend liasing with Shem; he has alot of expierance in this field and I'm sure he would have good suggestions etc.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Depending on what you need I'm happy to help out

I would also reccomend liasing with Shem; he has alot of expierance in this field and I'm sure he would have good suggestions etc.
Well, Shem runs KotORFiles, so would he be willing to spill the secrets of awsome mod sites to the competition?

Old 05-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #16
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
I would gladly help, although the max file size needs to be raised quite a bit, most of the time when I try to get someone to upload a file here, they cant because the file limit is like 100mb or something preposterously small. I know pretty basic HTML and java but I can always get some books from my crazy nam vet of a programming teacher.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #17
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Quote:
Well, Shem runs KotORFiles, so would he be willing to spill the secrets of awsome mod sites to the competition?
Well, when I had this discussion with Inyri, she pointed out that it is to the benefit of the community to have mods spread out at as many mod sites as possible so another pcgamemods doesn't occur (not that I think filefront will go down anytime soon). I know Shem will always do what he thinks is best for the community. You can always ask, worst that will happen is he will say no, but to be honest I don't see why there can't be a working relationship between the two sites.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
Old 05-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #18
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt View Post
I would gladly help, I cant tell you how many BF2 modders Ive begged to upload files to here but "Its not used enough" or "Its got too small of a file size cap". I know pretty basic HTML and java but I can always get some books from my crazy nam vet of a programming teacher.
Well, we need as much programming help as we can get so yeah, why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7
Well, when I had this discussion with Inyri, she pointed out that it is to the benefit of the community to have mods spread out at as many mod sites as possible so another pcgamemods doesn't occur (not that I think filefront will go down anytime soon). I know Shem will always do what he thinks is best for the community. You can always ask, worst that will happen is he will say no, but to be honest I don't see why there can't be a working relationship between the two sites.
Very true. We'll see if Shem would be willing to give us some pointers.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #19
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Hold on folks. There's a number of things that need to be discussed first behind the scenes before anything occurs regarding Lucasfiles. Keep your expectations in check in the meantime. Thanks.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #20
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Sorry tk, the decisions are all up to you guys of course.

Just to say though, we've got a pretty good team together now, so we should be ready when/if you give the go ahead.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #21
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
I'm all for LucasFiles to be up and running great. It would be good for the community. Here is what I suggest.

1. You need a crew that is dedicated and diligent. Having a lazy and or absentminded staff is a turnoff to those who are looking to host their work.

2. You need a good uploading system that is well organized. I saw too many of my mods disappear or lost when I tried to upload mods there and had trouble with the staff because sometimes they would put my mods in the wrong area even though I had it in the right area when I originally uploaded it; even sometimes they put it in the wrong game section. I have more stories about the troubles I had there and it got to a point where I gave up on them.

3. I would suggest a PCGM type uploading system if possible, even have it like how it was at PCGM where you can upload it through your account, update your mod and such. People miss that type of uploading system. That itself would invite a large growth.

If it is done correctly, I believe it could be as big as KotorFiles is currently now, which would be a good thing for our community and other LucasArts games.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #22
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Thanks for your input Shem.

I'm sure your suggestions and ideas will be put to good use should the project go ahead.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #23
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Thanks for your input Shem.

I'm sure your suggestions and ideas will be put to good use should the project go ahead.
Feel free to ask me about anything with this project. I'd be happy to give you my input to what I think will help you be a success.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 11:37 PM   #24
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
Ive sent a message to Maverichell whos also filefront reviewer person and a member of LF, hopefully he will respond soon.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2008, 01:40 AM   #25
Hayden Kered
Veteran

Helpful! 
I'm not too bad myself with graphics, I mainly use Paint and Photoshop. I'll be willing to help. Just PM me.
Hayden Kered is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #26
Aristotle
Seeker of Justice

LFN Staff Member 
As TK said... there's lots to discuss behind the scenes before any project is assembled. I thought the thread was a good idea to see who would be interested in working on a large team project and who could offer what help. It's certainly nice to see people throw their hats into the ring if we get the ball rolling for this project and it looks like there is some solid talent willing to join the cause.

Either way, be sure to add your name if you are interested in helping and we'll keep a list while we discuss the details a bit more and hash them out more.

Great to see folks stepping up though and putting their names out there. It's most appreciated!!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #27
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Just thought i'd post a list of those who have agreed to help:

glovemaster
Stream
igyman
jawathehutt
Quanon
Me

Quanon (who is an amazing artist) has agreed to help with some graphics. Now you know it'll be awsome.

Glovemaster has also said he has a friend who can help help with the coding should we need it.

So, with the people above and a few of the Admins (I assume they'll be in) we should be able to have a pretty good crack at it.

Last edited by Marius Fett; 05-27-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #28
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Why waste your time? KotORFiles works, is efficient, is not going down any time soon, is now part of the community to an extent that uprooting it would be foolish, and this is one instance where keeping all your eggs in one basket is the preferable policy.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #29
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Well, as j7 said, it's a nice idea just incase another PCGM occurs, (it probably won't but it never hurts to be prepared) plus it's nice to have a little variety in where to host your files. Maybe some people don't visit KotORFiles but will visit LucasFiles?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #30
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Not going to. PCGM was owned by one person. KotORFiles is part of Filefront, a subsidiary of a large multimedia company, none of which are likely to crash and burn any time soon, and handled by an extremely capable, professional staff on the back end.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 05-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #31
Aristotle
Seeker of Justice

LFN Staff Member 
The simple answer to that one is that LucasFiles is much more than just one game and hopefully will continue to be so after a re-coding and re-design.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #32
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

The simple answer to that is that Filefront isn't just one game, either - or even one genre.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 05-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #33
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
Not going to. PCGM was owned by one person. KotORFiles is part of Filefront, a subsidiary of a large multimedia company, none of which are likely to crash and burn any time soon, and handled by an extremely capable, professional staff on the back end.
I think several hosting sites is advantagous to the community and modders, as it I think hightens the chance that people will come across a modders mods, and as such more people will enjoy their mods.

If the project does go ahead I am more than happy to help; my relevant skills are not as polished or as good as some of those who have already volunteered, however I am as I have said before happy to help... I have worked as both a IT technition and administator, so I think I can be of help

Old 05-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #34
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
I think several hosting sites is advantagous to the community and modders, as it I think hightens the chance that people will come across a modders mods, and as such more people will enjoy their mods.
It may seem that way, but in the end, one site will suffer at the expense of the other, and in any case, modders will simply split, some uploading to one site, some to others. Only a very few will actually upload to both, however. Rather than increase accessibility, this will lead to fewer mods being hosted in the same location, and thus, decrese it.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 05-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #35
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7
QFT.

@DI

If people have to visit more than one site to download the mods they want, there's more of a chance they'll discover more mods on that site, then if there's something they want that's not on the site but is on the other they will go to the other one and vice-versa.

This project could benefit both LF and KotORFiles.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #36
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

No - it will simply confuse them, and lead to fewer mods being found, since they'll stick with the site they know.

We have seen this happen before in this community.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 05-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #37
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
No - it will simply confuse them, and lead to fewer mods being found, since they'll stick with the site they know.

We have seen this happen before in this community.
In an ideal world I would hope that LF and KF would be linked togeather, if the project goes ahead I'm unsure if this is viable or not.

I would also hope that modders would be happy to host their files at both sites, but depends on the modders and something that does come into consideration.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #38
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

"Happy to", perhaps.

Going to bother doing twice as much work - potentially more like four times, if the system at LucasFiles remains the same as it used to be - to release the mod? Unlikely.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 05-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #39
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Well, if as Shem suggested we have a file upload system like that of PCGM, or even like the one at KotORFiles, uploading your mods will take minimum effort.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #40
glovemaster
Now-a-days GroovyCarrot

Current Game: No time for games, sadly
Helpful! 
This is kinda shows the gap between the LF Network and FileFront. I have to agree with DI, in that redesigning LucasFiles would be rather pointless as people have been using FileFront in the past, which it seems is due to the much better administration and site features.
However, I also think that it would be strange for the LF Network not to have a place where the users can upload their mods, and instead rely on FileFront to do all the hosting.
I assume that the LF Network pays for the LucasFiles website, (if not, you will have to share that secret with me ) to leave the site as it is would be somewhat of a waste of money.

I think the site is only worth recoding if the LF Network were willing to promote it more.

If you're looking for any of the junk I did a few years ago; you can probably still find it all on filefront
glovemaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > LucasFiles Overhaul... Would you be interested?