lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Auto level-ups?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Auto level-ups?

During my 1st play-through, I manually leveled-up all of my characters. It took forever, but at least they had the skills I wanted them to have. I've just started my 2nd play-through, and I only get about 20 minutes/week to play... I'm considering auto leveling-up everyone but myself. What's the general consensus on auto leveling-up?

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
NEVER auto-level up for ANYONE, EVER. The last time I auto-leveled two characters, they had literally the exact same skills and feats. Take the time to get their skills right.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
NEVER auto-level up for ANYONE, EVER. The last time I auto-leveled two characters, they had literally the exact same skills and feats. Take the time to get their skills right.
QFT

The only NPC I ever auto-level are the ones I never use. Auto-leveling your NPC will severely handicap your choices when you have to split your party. Plus you may end up with some useless powers, feats and skills. Go-To and Disciple are the only NPC I ever use auto-level on and that is only because they never leave the Ebon Hawk, now that I think of it I don’t believe they get leveled at all.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
The only NPC I ever auto-level are the ones I never use.
QFT.

Truth be told, I play RPGs because I'm addicted to level-ups and never turn down an opportunity to do so (we won't talk about the hours I spent building random level 20 characters in the NWN2 trainer).
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
patient_zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
(we won't talk about the hours I spent building random level 20 characters in the NWN2 trainer).
You are not alone. I have pages of characters I've built to 20 but never used, I simply do it because I can.

To stay on topic... if I'm playing Sentinel I let them auto-level the droids (Though I do T3's levels on Peragus), because I'd already be covering their skills and they have a pretty limited feat list. With the non-droids, I take control because I pay more attention to them, plus I sometimes need to pump up their Wisdom so their force powers aren't entirely rubbish, something which I don't think the default builds would do for most of them.
patient_zero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
As it has been said, levelling up manually is part of the fun and essential to develop your characters the way you want them to. But I'm not sure how much "forever" is IYO, but it's quite possible to level up everyone in your party on one minute or so.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Thanks for the advice, all. Perhaps it won't take "forever" this time, Ctrl, since I'm more familiar with the feats/powers/attributes I want. I got annoyed at times during my first play-through leveling up when I hadn't used a NPC in a while and I had to manually level them up 6-7 times.

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
I never AL the feats, powers and attributes, but I sometimes autolevel the skills if the auto leveler is picking pretty much the same thing that I would have for that character.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > Auto level-ups?