lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Grim Figures/other merchandise?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
TheDancingFool
Rookie

Question Grim Figures/other merchandise?

Heya folks, I'm a masssssssive Grim Fandango fan, and I was trying to find anything along the lines of Grim Fandango figurines, t-shirts, any kind of other merchandise basically, but there doesn't seem to be any (except for the original tiny skeleton figure that went out with the first edition of the game which 1) doesn't look like anyone from the game and 2) goes for over 20 on Ebay...). I know there aren't any official products, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any unofficial or fan-made stuff? If not then I'll just have to take a little more bread to honour the dead...

Cheers
TheDancingFool is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
Unfortunately you'll find it pretty hard to find any official merchandise, and if you do it is likely to cost a lot of money (I got one of the collector's editions a while back for 45 which believe it or not is a very low price for that item).

You could of course get the high resolution box art and get a poster custom printed, but apart from that I can't think of any other fan made merchandise.

James Isaac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2006, 04:53 AM   #3
TheDancingFool
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Isaac
Unfortunately you'll find it pretty hard to find any official merchandise, and if you do it is likely to cost a lot of money (I got one of the collector's editions a while back for 45 which believe it or not is a very low price for that item).

You could of course get the high resolution box art and get a poster custom printed, but apart from that I can't think of any other fan made merchandise.

That's a real shame, cheers for the high-res scans though! Damn, wish they did some good figurines, that'd be awesome
TheDancingFool is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
Baja
Rookie

I printed the Grim box art along with some other games, I'll put up some pictures after I frame them.
Baja is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
Millymoo_22
Lurker

Post WOOO

I've found this picture, I want one.
Millymoo_22 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
Here's a large (and animated) photo of one of those figures: http://www.grim-fandango.com/image.p...ny_toy_ani.gif

I must say... it looks a lot more appealing from that imageshack photo than the official one

James Isaac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
Millymoo_22
Lurker

Oh I can't find any of them on Ebay
Millymoo_22 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
VivaLaZak
Lurker

Well, Grim Fandango characters are modeled after figurines from the real Day of the Dead, so you could collect those. (some of 'em look strait out of the game!)

There's also a Grim Fandango T-Shirt out there.
VivaLaZak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
laura102
Lurker

Does anyone know where to get these little guys? ebay hasn't turned up anything and searching google is kinda a dead end too.
laura102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I couldn't find any either, but I wouldn't trust myself in one of those searches.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2007, 09:48 PM   #11
CikMatt

Merchandise does/did exist at one point. Aside from the Little Manny toy there were the Prima Guides and a t-shirt that was made by LucasArts.

My collection includes those three items, the toy, the guide, and the shirt. Sadly I wore my shirt too much. It began to fade and fade and was finally killed when I washed a pen in my laundry. Considering I've NEVER found another one like it on eBay I feel like I messed up royally. The toy was around 50 bucks to get on eBay a few years ago, and the guide was about 20.

Pictures:

On the shirt, you can just barely see the LucasArts logo on the edge of the left sleeve. The ink spots are worse there than anywhere else. The shirt was comfortable, and is sorely missed in my wardrobe. No one ever recognized the shirt in the four years I owned or wore it, sadly.
CikMatt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #12
Du Man

that's classic, and a sad tale. maybe you can get someone to copy down the art on it? It's still visible. Maybe you can remake your shirt and sell copies of it on cafe press : D, assuming lucas dosn't come down on the copyright.

Thanks for the pics! What's the guide like? Any cool art or supplementary information?
Du Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2007, 01:54 AM   #13
CikMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Man
Thanks for the pics! What's the guide like? Any cool art or supplementary information?
It's pretty intresting. It's got all the regular stuff, a character list, plot synopsis, hint style walkthrough that's pretty clever.

One example is:

"How can Manny convince Velasco that Naranja is not coming back?
1. If Velasco gets a call from the morgue, he might believe it.
2. Manny must fool Membrillo into thinking one of his corpses is Naranja

and then under all that, number 3 is upside down and says: The first step is to steal the sleeping Naranja's dog tags."

This way you can look at the first two hints and not completely ruin the puzzle.

Aside from all that the guide has some room layouts drawn pretty simply with just lines.

What's really cool is chapter 6 of the guide, entitled "Don't feel the Reaper." It's the story of the game told in third person. One of the most intresting parts being that it says Manny was a regular person who -choose- to be a Reaper, as opposed to being stuck with it like the game implys. Now I think Prima may have made an error concerning this, but the rest of the story is full of other such little plot changes.

The guide also has Tim Schafer's design diaries from during the production of the game, (which if anyone has read can attest to the fact that they have little to do with the game) and a concept art gallery. Most of the concept art can all ready be found on the regular Grim sites.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #14
CikMatt

And wouldnt you know it, I jinxed the world. eBay has one of the shirts right now with half an hour left. I tried to put money down on it but 50 bucks my limit. The guy who outbid me is named thriftweed, so I guess it'll be going to a good home.

T-shirt on eBay
Old 08-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #15
lipton
Rookie

why dont ya make yer own?
think ill do just that
lipton is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2007, 12:21 AM   #16
CHAOSMAN

wow, that guy def overpaid. I got my shirt on ebay for like $10 last year, the guy had a hard time selling it too. i think he listed it like 4 or 5 times.
CHAOSMAN is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #17
elemily
Rookie

I am an art student (starting my third year at uni this october) and was thinking of making some manny models using clay and rock

I will have to post my progress as I think the end result will be quite authentic with those materials
elemily is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #18
gingersonny
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemily
I am an art student (starting my third year at uni this october) and was thinking of making some manny models using clay and rock

I will have to post my progress as I think the end result will be quite authentic with those materials
Hey that sounds wicked, I would definitely pay for some of them, you could be onto a nice little earner, assuming Lucasarts' legal system doesn't grind into action against you
gingersonny is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #19
elemily
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersonny
Hey that sounds wicked, I would definitely pay for some of them, you could be onto a nice little earner, assuming Lucasarts' legal system doesn't grind into action against you
Yes I'm not sure it would be a good idea to sell them hehe!
elemily is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #20
gingersonny
Rookie

Yeah probably right! But then again, they might really not be bothered, I'm not sure Lucasarts are that bothered about GF anymore, and all they can do to start with is ask you to stop. To paraphrase Duffman's quote in the Simpsons episode i watched earlier "What would Jesus do?" = "what would Tim Schafer do?" lol i wish i was even slightly artistic to be able to make some myself, I can't even draw *sigh*
Old 09-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #21
ZaXeriaw
The cake is a lie!

I'll be the first in the row with my visa card
Btw screw LA. They haven't made anything good since..... well, since MI4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemily

What'd **** !?!?
ZaXeriaw is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #22
gingersonny
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaXeriaw
They haven't made anything good since..... well, since MI4.
Hmm MI4...the jury's out on that one I think
Old 09-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #23
lipton
Rookie

let's not discuss MI4, people have been known to have killed eachother in such discussions...Grim figures sounds cool, go for it!
Old 09-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #24
Du Man

they made Mission Impossible 4 already?
Old 09-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #25
lipton
Rookie

with sylvestre himself
Old 09-22-2007, 03:44 PM   #26
Frenkieee
Rookie

I would like a head-knobbing Manny for on the dashboard of my car. Or has someone already mentioned something like this?

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers.
Frenkieee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #27
CikMatt

A copy of the soundtrack is on eBay again. 200 dollars opening bid: eBay CD
Old 02-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #28
CHAOSMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CikMatt
A copy of the soundtrack is on eBay again. 200 dollars opening bid: eBay CD

that shouldnt be worth more than $40. He took apart the cardboard case and made it into a jewel case. So basically you only get the original cd, and a chopped cover
Old 02-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #29
Sallim
Forumite

200$?! maaaaaan I can get almost a "meet and greet" ticket with avril lavine for that lol!

- supreme pleasure -
Sallim is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2008, 01:26 AM   #30
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Current Game: Pheonix Wright
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOSMAN
that shouldnt be worth more than $40. He took apart the cardboard case and made it into a jewel case. So basically you only get the original cd, and a chopped cover
Do you know how rare that soundtrack is? It is next to impossible to get since they didn't mass produce them. There are currently thousands of GF fans wanting them. I think that Lucasarts only made like 1000 copys.

"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2008, 02:10 AM   #31
CHAOSMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakataDark
Do you know how rare that soundtrack is? It is next to impossible to get since they didn't mass produce them. There are currently thousands of GF fans wanting them. I think that Lucasarts only made like 1000 copys.
i'm not sure how many lucas made, but i know some were bundled with the game itself, thats how i got mine. i also know they used to sell them online on the lucas store. However the soundtrack goes from anywhere between $40-100 from what ive been watching over the last few years. Needless to say if you dont wann buy it but want the original quality i posted up the WAV files in another thread
Old 05-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #32
CikMatt

Once again, I'm here to post exciting Grim merchandise that you all should bid on (cause I already own it, and don't need to bid first).

This week I noticed a Manny figurine is on eBay for 39.99 right now, which is a STEAL. I paid 60 for mine and got lucky, I saw one go for 200.

The figurine collapses, and reforms when you press on the bottom of the base. It's neat, and they only made so many of them. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2008, 12:58 AM   #33
Du Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CikMatt View Post
This week I noticed a Manny figurine is on eBay for 39.99 right now,
"Ladies and Gentlemen, betting is closed. No more bets please."
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Land of the Dead > Grim Figures/other merchandise?