lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Earthquake prediction?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-08-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Earthquake prediction?

Nasa scientists have said they could be on the verge of a breakthrough in their efforts to forecast earthquakes.

Full Story

Intro:
Quote:
Researchers say they have found a close link between electrical disturbances on the edge of our atmosphere and impending quakes on the ground below.

Just such a signal was spotted in the days leading up to the recent devastating event in China.

They have teamed up with experts in the UK to investigate a possible space-based early warning system.
Short version: Disturbances in the ground have an effect on charged particles in the ionosphere. Satellited notice the phenomenon and earthquake warning goes into effect. The research isn't conclusive though so we'll have to wait and see if anything comes of this hypothesis.

Pretty freakin' awesome if it works out though.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2008, 03:34 AM   #2
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
You're not kidding. Imagine how many lives can be saved by getting people to safe places before the quake hits. How many thousands could have survived in China if they'd had some kind of warning?

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Web Rider

Wow, that's impressive, and the fact that NASA has *bleep* for a budget thanks to Bush and is still doing this makes it doubly impresive.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Earthquake prediction?