lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Disgruntled LucasArts Employees Leak Upcoming Titles...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-07-2008, 12:13 AM   #41
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
*** sigh ***
Shades of 2004 "reboot" at LucasArts. Here we go again.

2004 May - Jim Ward assumes helm at LucasArts

2004 August - Mr. Ward initiates a round of layoffs at LucasArts later referring to the event as a "reboot" of the company.

2004 November - Jim Ward: we're going to focus on internal development (paraphrase)

2008 February - Jim Ward leaves LucasArts

2008 April - Darrell Rodriguez takes over as LucasArts' president

2008 June - another round of layoffs. LucasArts now apparently positioning itself to rely more on external development.

Round and round we go. Things sound like they are a real mess over at LucasArts right now.

As far as BioWare making a KotOR MMORPG goes, I'm interested. I've never played an MMORPG and BioWare seems like they'll be taking a more story-driven approach. Of course I would prefer a SPRPG but if that isn't going to happen then I may just decide to give a KotOR MMORPG a whirl.

EDIT: Also noticed on LucasArts' exec page that not only is Peter Hirschmann no longer listed but neither is the VP of Production Services, Atsuko Matsumoto. In any case, Mr. Rodriguez seems to have totally gutted LucasArts' production staff so it will be interesting to see if he hires any replacements or if he is indeed positioning LA to exclusively use third party developers.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Last edited by Char Ell; 06-07-2008 at 12:48 AM. Reason: added commentary
Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 12:21 AM   #42
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
A lot of potential, yes, but for those who are true KOTOR starwars gamers, it will be a waste of time to them. I will not pay a couple hundred a year for a game. It is not worth it, not with the idiots that would go play on it, not with the lag I'd get on it, and not with the stupid monthly payments. Actually, with my crappy computer, it's out of the question for now...

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 12:36 AM   #43
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
^
That is pretty much why I think that it would be a bad idea.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #44
DarthJebus05
Banned

I'd play the MMO out of curiosity. If I like it, I'll stay with it.
DarthJebus05 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 12:57 AM   #45
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
The Kotor Galaxies MMO's gonna have to be really good to spark my interest...

Feel bad for all the guys who lost their jobs.

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 02:04 AM   #46
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
MMORPG KOTOR 3 project with BioWare
Did anybody get the impression that the MMO and RPG part of this are two separate things? A couple of my brothers and three of my nephews each have an Xbox360 and they have games they play online through Xbox Live and it also have either an adventure game or a role playing game too. I'm betting this could be the case and it's going to be an Xbox360 only release if this is true.

Whey is everybody getting mad and assuming this is already going to be a PC only release like Star Wars Galaxies?

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 03:07 AM   #47
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Will wait for official word from LA before mourning KotOR 3.

I'm sure there's a market for a KotOR MMO, but the fact of the matter is they're going to leave the story began in the series to the vagaries of a fan/opinion poll hell rather than finishing the trilogy they began with such promise. That's the one big flaw in the KotOR 3 as MMO idea; an MMO has to keep some semblance of a story arc going for people to actually keep playing and paying, and that leaves the people who bought, played and became fans of the first two without closure in the whole Revan/Exile storyline. After the halfass non-finished ending to TSL, is just seems like an extra slap in the face.

KotOR 3 <> MMORPG

Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #48
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
Whey is everybody getting mad and assuming this is already going to be a PC only release like Star Wars Galaxies?
Who said it was going to be a PC only release? And why would it bother anyone?

Anyways, yeah, it could be an RPG with single and multiplayer mode.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #49
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
I just want to say that when I was playing WoW, it SAVED me a lot of money. I was buying at least £60 worth of games a month to cure by boredom, as oppose to paying £8 a month playing one game only.

As for this KotOR MMO, I'll wait for official word.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #50
Aash Li
Speak nerdy to me! ;P

Current Game: LotRO, EQ2 & RoM
Hot Topic Starter 
Kotor the mmo would be star wars galaxies after the "jedis for everyone" update x10.

It will fail.
Aash Li is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #51
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
Why is everybody getting mad and assuming this is already going to be a PC only release like Star Wars Galaxies?
I'm not sure that anyone actually was mad about that, but now that you mention it, it better not be an X360 only release. Because I would like to at least try it, and I'm certainly not going to go out and by an Xbox and XboxLive just to try a game that I'm already wary about in the first place.

_EW_

@Aash - So true.

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #52
Miles Edgeworth
Rookie

Does anyone else think that they may not be revealing games because they got fired? Isn't it possible that they say these games are being made so that if Lucas Arts doesn't announce them, that there will be already angry fans, who will be even angrier and Lucas Arts will be given a bad rap? Also how do we even know that these people work for Lucas Arts? Another thing is I find interesting is that the original site said it was a rumor and the other two sites don’t.

"Don't tell me what I can't do!" -John Locke
"No terminal can match my l33t hax0r skillz!" -Scorch
Miles Edgeworth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #53
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I have a bad feeling about this.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #54
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
I believe I speak for most everyone when I say *** ******, LucasArts. *** **** you straight to hell.
lolz...mind where you are Rhett. AHTO isnt the place for such veiled cusses.

Personally. Im all for the move. Every major gaming dev has said quite clearly that PC_Single Player is not financially viable, chiefly due to PIRACY...

SO IT"S ALL YOUR OWN FAULT...

*points accusatory finger in melodramatic fashion at all gathered AHTONAUTS*

you kids and your mp3s, and torrents etc.

sure, you may not have ripped a LA game because you love SW/GL so much, but somewhere, somehow, you've ripped something and now, finally, sweet justice hath delivered itself upon your moaning selves... seriously, when "a SW MMO made by bioware" was mentioned many moons ago, who DIDN'T think it was KOTOR era based.

and whilst you sit here and whinge like so many myspace starlets, I can imagine you all running around doin your missions, crafting your kit etc... you have a ready made* clan/squad here.... if Bioware pull the game off, it could actually be quite fun.

...and thats coming from someone who doesnt like MMOs Id genuinely be interested in a well made Bioware/Kotor 3 MMO I have far less spare time than many, but MMOs are made with casual gamers in mind as well

as for the pc only thang....I doubt it. MS has done alot of work to make the "x360 +windows Live" gaming experience possible. This title will be an absolutely perfect opportunity to deploy on those platforms.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #55
EnderWiggin

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
The long and short of it is that LA fired some employees and the employees blabbed about their upcoming games which included the following: {snip}
So aren't these employees royally screwed?

I would expect they were all under NDAs, right?

_EW_

Yes, I hate you.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #56
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Perhaps. But LucasArts would have to make the effort to go to court to file a complaint and get subpoenas to get the e-mails from Kotaku and track those e-mails back to one of the former LucasArts employees. Not sure if they would want to deal with the effort of doing that and the negative publicity that would undoubtedly be visited upon such an effort.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #57
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
All of these "kill Lucasarts" comments are so redundant and overreactive they're not even funny. Especially since this whole thing is a bunch of rumors with literally no actual source whαtsoever. It's the same pile of rumors and other crap as before.

Quote:
or if he is indeed positioning LA to exclusively use third party developers.
Are you kidding? Of course they are. If they haven't already, then putting them in that position is merely a formality. I don't remember the last good Lucasarts game that Lucasarts actually made itself.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia

Last edited by TKA-001; 06-07-2008 at 01:31 PM.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #58
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001
Are you kidding? Of course they are. If they haven't already, then putting them in that position is merely a formality. I don't remember the last good Lucasarts game that Lucasarts actually made itself.
Republic Commando wasn't a good game?

Also, are you saying you don't believe LucasArts director of PR, Margaret Grohne? Kotaku quotes her as saying,
Quote:
"We are healthy. LEGO Indie was launched on seven platforms to positive reviews, The Force Unleashed and Fracture are on track for this fall. We have a good slate of games and we have some good stuff going on in production.

We are definitely committed to the internal studio."

Old 06-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #59
EnderWiggin

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post

Also, are you saying you don't believe LucasArts director of PR, Margaret Grohne?
PR does stand for propaganda, right?

_EW_

Yes, I hate you.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #60
glovemaster
Now-a-days GroovyCarrot

Current Game: No time for games, sadly
Helpful! 
Quote:
All of these "kill Lucasarts" comments are so redundant and overreactive they're not even funny. Especially since this whole thing is a bunch of rumors with literally no actual source whαtsoever. It's the same pile of rumors and other crap as before.
QTF, I think if I were a LA employee and just had the sack, I'd want to spread as much crap about LA as possible

I think its mostly a load of junk to discredit LA, though I am in hopes for a Battlefront 3. Those games are my favourites.

If you're looking for any of the junk I did a few years ago; you can probably still find it all on filefront
glovemaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #61
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Republic Commando wasn't a good game?
Republic Commando was a standard run-of-the-mill FPS with a decent single-player story and an extremely lackluster multiplayer, just like practically any other FPS you can think of that's been made in the last few years. Calling RC anything more complimentary than "decent", eζpecially compared to the games that LA used to make, is like taking a firecracker and calling it a nuclear bomb.

Quote:
"We are definitely committed to the internal studio."
That remains to be seen. TFU is the only game they seem to be making by themselves at the moment (not counting the Indy Game which has disappeared in recent months).

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

Old 06-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #62
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
PR does stand for propaganda, right?

_EW_
Pubic Relations. Propaganda. What's the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Republic Commando was a standard run-of-the-mill FPS with a decent single-player story and an extremely lackluster multiplayer, just like practically any other FPS you can think of that's been made in the last few years. Calling RC anything more complimentary than "decent", eζpecially compared to the games that LA used to make, is like taking a firecracker and calling it a nuclear bomb.
I think it likely that I'm not the only one that disagrees with your assessment of Republic Commando. While it's not a first-tier game I've always viewed Republic Commando as a worthy effort and liked the squad-based combat the game used. That was a bit different for an FPS game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
That remains to be seen. TFU is the only game they seem to be making by themselves at the moment (not counting the Indy Game which has disappeared in recent months).

Indeed. After this latest culling one wonders how many internal developers LucasArts has left to work on the DMM and euphoria-based Indy game that was originally supposed to be released this year.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #63
Chevron 7 locke
Peace and Sanity

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
The Idea of a KOTOR mmo is is in my opinion...wrong just plain wrong. they are going to destroy the legacy of an amazing game. Someone should head over to lucasarts and bioware and knock some heads together...
Chevron 7 locke is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #64
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

It seems Joystiq is the only other website besides Kotaku that has gotten some direct scoop on the LucasArts situation.

Basically LucasArts' Director of Public Relations Margaret Grohne tells Joystiq that
- LucasArts is not halting internal development
- No titles have been cancelled or postponed due to the layoffs
- various websites are reading too much into the layoffs
- LucasArts can't comment on unannouced products (in reference to the reports of ex-employees revealing KotOR MMORPG and Battlefront 3 being in development)

I think the situation with internal development remains to be seen. Unless the reports are wrong and instead of 50-100 employees being laid off there are less than 25 employees then I might believe this. If the reported numbers are right though then I don't see how the new Indy game isn't going to take a hit.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #65
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri View Post
Hard to ignore it when you can't turn it off in many games. Guild Wars is nice in that you can shut off any branch of the chat you don't want to see/read. Plus it's instanced, so no need to interact with the sillies at all if you don't want to.

However I don't suspect any LA MMO would be 'nice' like that.
You know, you can actually do that in World of Warcraft too. Also there's that natural ability to not read things you know will upset you. That's why I don't go to anything ending with .gov these days. Though that might change with a new president and staff in power.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #66
Tooplex
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination View Post
Boop. Bop. Bip.
Trust me, there's a market for a KOTOR MMO, and that makes it a good idea.
Wow......Thats suprising, know whats even more suprising:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...idge&n=Bastila

A Male level 70 Bastila....

Ask me about Grim Fandango.
Tooplex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #67
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Is that your way of saying that KOTOR names being popular is just a coincidence? If so, I personally would've said that Revan wasn't a cow-man in K1.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #68
Tooplex
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination View Post
Is that your way of saying that KOTOR names being popular is just a coincidence? If so, I personally would've said that Revan wasn't a cow-man in K1.

No i mean how there is only ONE MALE Bastila in the whole of WoW.

Ask me about Grim Fandango.
Tooplex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #69
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Moo. Also, both Revan and Bastila have 100 people, so I think the Armory may only show up to 100, so there could be more.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 12:17 AM   #70
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
I can hardly believe this, until I see these games on Lucasarts.com...
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 05:15 AM   #71
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
I sense an disturbance in the Force....

I sense...screaming 9-year old children who all want to role-play a Jedi class in a galaxy overrun by Jedi. An unrealistic universe, wherin Galactic basic is replaced by "Zomg lolzor rockzzor pwnzor ligtzaber I can has creditz plz?"

---------
All fun aside, I'd hate to see the Kotor franchise destroyed by this. Galaxies failed because of the Jedi unbalance thing. If I may speak for myself, I love to roleplay in the Kotor games. Single saber, special behaviour. This will be gone if it turns MMO. Idiots will then raid Darth Poodiaper for the Lightsaber of +9 vs Long Haired legomorphs. Not cool. World of Warcraft shows a franchise can keep it's magic as an MMO. Conan does this as well. Too bad Star Wars has this Jedi dudes everyone wants to play.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 06:35 AM   #72
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
haven't bioware already said that the mmo they're working on isn't kotor 3? i'm sure i read that somewhere.
i think the mmo will be set during the new sith wars.

as for the lightsaber wii game... that was a story that came out last year, and it was referring to force unleashed.

They started making a new indy years ago. however they decided to shelve it for the meantime (maybe because of the new movie) but they used the engine they had started to develop for force unleashed instead. no doubt they return to it once force unleased is released.

and a Clone Wars game is a safe bet.
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #73
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
they have said there not working on kotor 3, but the mmo by genre cannot be K3 so there not really lying, unless there talking about the multiplayer of an SPRPG but I doubt it

adamqd is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #74
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Bah, didn't we go through this same crap about 6 months ago? It's becoming rather cliched.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #75
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
It's all lies.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #76
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
It's all lies.
The truth has been spoken.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #77
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
All fun aside, I'd hate to see the Kotor franchise destroyed by this. Galaxies failed because of the Jedi unbalance thing. If I may speak for myself, I love to roleplay in the Kotor games. Single saber, special behaviour. This will be gone if it turns MMO. Idiots will then raid Darth Poodiaper for the Lightsaber of +9 vs Long Haired legomorphs. Not cool. World of Warcraft shows a franchise can keep it's magic as an MMO. Conan does this as well. Too bad Star Wars has this Jedi dudes everyone wants to play.
It is true that Galaxies was ruined, but while Jedi admittedly ωere one of the more visually degrading problems, Galaxies failed because of a great many things. Jedi were not by a long shot the worst thing about it.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #78
ElecManEXE
Rookie

I played Galaxies for a long time, didn't mind the Jedi thing at all really. Jedi are a nessicary part of a Star Wars game, and it wasn't easy to achieve at least. Lot of people going after Jedi-ness with crazed fervor, but plenty of people that weren't too. They just needed to balance the Jedi classes. What killed Galaxies for me was the point when they decided to tear out the numerous mix and match classes and replace them with the 9 overly-simplistic and pretty much identical "movie-based" classes. Still can't wrap my head around them gutting the entire core of the game to replace it with something completely different.

But that's not really the point of the topic...

I don't believe this at all. There are most certainly NDA issues, and you can get in a lot of trouble for spreading this kind of info. LA has plenty of resources at their disposal to press charges. I doubt even a "disgruntled employee" would be stupid enough to put themselves at risk with the law, especially not for stuff that people either assume is coming (Battlefield 3) or that there are already rumors about (KOTOR MMO).

The sources aren't exactly reliable, either.
ElecManEXE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #79
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivy View Post
....i think the mmo will be set during the new sith wars.
You mean post NJO Legacy era or Cade Skywalker Legacy era?? I quite doubt they would go with a totally new EU area for something as big as an MMO >>there'd have to be some degree of familiarity with the EU?? Then again, KOTOR era was EU long before it became a game. If anyone can pull it off, BioWare can

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2008, 01:10 AM   #80
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
You mean post NJO Legacy era or Cade Skywalker Legacy era?? I quite doubt they would go with a totally new EU area for something as big as an MMO
New Sith Wars was Bane's era, I believe.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Disgruntled LucasArts Employees Leak Upcoming Titles...

Tags
kotor 3, lucasarts, nerd rage, news, rumors