lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: and Bao-Dur dies...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #41
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikmin View Post
On the topic of Bao-dur, he followed Kreia to Malachor and got killed. this will be shown in TSLCR.
I'm sorry, but AFAIK that's just pure BS. There is no reference whatsoever to Bao-Dur's fate in the game files, and Avellone & Co. aren't saying squat, most likely because they are bound to secrecy by an NDA while the story of TSL gets retconned to hell by talentless hacks who didn't write it. And what is TSLCR?

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #42
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I think he means TSLRP - possibly?
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #43
Q
The one who knocks

You're probably right, and it's still BS.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 06-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #44
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
No, he means the mod that he is creating.
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=187382

It's found there, but it seems it's not as much content restoration as we thought. It's his IP, I guess.

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #45
Q
The one who knocks

Oh. Well, in that case he should have mentioned that the scenario he was talking about was his own invention because it certainly wasn't Obsidian's. We really don't have a clue what happened to Bao-Dur and probably never will. That is, until one of the afore-mentioned talentless hacks thinks up yet another not-so-clever retcon.

BTW: In Bao-Dur's case he's not restoring anything because there is nothing to restore. He's conjuring it out of thin air.

-Toker
Old 06-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #46
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
They're never going to retcon anything about KOTOR. They never have before, and they won't start now. They prefer to skirt around the questions of what actually happened with everything important in the KOTOR era. The closest they'll ever come to information on the KOTOR era besides vagυe mention in sourcebooks and other such material is the comics, in which they follow the stories of the uninteresting, cookie-cutter characters that nobody actually cares about (like Lucien Draay and Zayne Carrick), rather than the ones that actually made KOTOR worth caring about.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #47
Pikmin

Wow, such a heated debate...

Ok look, in cut material that TSLRP is restoring Bao-Dur mentions returning to Malachor to activate the Generator again. Then after you deal with the Atris problem, Grenn notices Bao-dur is gone. And in another cut line, Bao-Dur asks the remote to "Make my Sacrifice matter".

And so based upon those three things* it is easy to assume he followed Kreia to Malachor while you were on Telos, tried to activate the generator, but was killed. And even if this isn't EXACTLY** what OE intended, every other party member has a end-game resolution; Mira, Hanharr, Atton, Brianna, Mical, HK-47, Remote, Go-To, Visas Marr, and Kreia. And like Bao-dur every ones ending was cut or trimmed down to a shell of what it could have been.

So don't come complaining that this is BS, it makes perfect sense if you look at Bao-dur's character. He thought he could keep Czerka from messing up Telos on his own, he thought he could stop the Republic's enemies with his OWN creations, AND he very much regrets having made the generator in the first place.

There enjoy my argument.

*There are more but not worth mentioning here.
**Not everything in TSLRP, M4-78RP, or TSLCR is EXACTLY like Obsidian Intended.
Pikmin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #48
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikmin
There enjoy my argument.
And it's actually a pretty good one. If you can put it in the game and make it seamless and therefore believeable it might provide closure for a lot of people.

Excepting Melly, of course.

-Toker
Old 06-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #49
EnderWiggin

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post

BTW: In Bao-Dur's case he's not restoring anything because there is nothing to restore. He's conjuring it out of thin air.
That's what I was saying.

Quote:
Wow, such a heated debate...

Ok look, in cut material that TSLRP is restoring Bao-Dur mentions returning to Malachor to activate the Generator again. Then after you deal with the Atris problem, Grenn notices Bao-dur is gone. And in another cut line, Bao-Dur asks the remote to "Make my Sacrifice matter".

And so based upon those three things* it is easy to assume he followed Kreia to Malachor while you were on Telos, tried to activate the generator, but was killed. And even if this isn't EXACTLY** what OE intended, every other party member has a end-game resolution; Mira, Hanharr, Atton, Brianna, Mical, HK-47, Remote, Go-To, Visas Marr, and Kreia. And like Bao-dur every ones ending was cut or trimmed down to a shell of what it could have been.

So don't come complaining that this is BS, it makes perfect sense if you look at Bao-dur's character. He thought he could keep Czerka from messing up Telos on his own, he thought he could stop the Republic's enemies with his OWN creations, AND he very much regrets having made the generator in the first place.

There enjoy my argument.

*There are more but not worth mentioning here.
**Not everything in TSLRP, M4-78RP, or TSLCR is EXACTLY like Obsidian Intended.
Could you provide concrete proof of this cut line, please? I wasn't aware it existed. Please make available either the sound file or the TLK entry or whatnot where it says this.

Thanks in Advance.

As for your argument, you're drawing conclusions. You can't call your project 'Content Restoration' if you're not restoring cut content. In this case, you're creating a mod. Which is fine, as long as you identify it as such.

That's just from my point of view - I don't actually care if you rename your project or anything, but I thought you were saying there was cut information about Bao-Dur. Until you provide that dialog, that still seems to be false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
And it's actually a pretty good one. If you can put it in the game and make it seamless and therefore believeable it might provide closure for a lot of people.

Excepting Melly, of course.
I disagree. And it might provide closure, but they have to remember that it's not cut content, it's someone's interpretation of events that was modded in.

_EW_

Yes, I hate you.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #50
DarthAve
Yeezy

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I generally like Bao Dur, especially as a fanfiction writer. He had the potential to be a sincearly kickass character, with a lot of backstory, a pimpin robot arm, and a spherical floating friend. But instead, he was that "Character you never use" and whenever ou tried to talk to him, the only option was "Never mind."

I hope he didn't die, so him and his 2nd remote can go on adventures fixing things throughout the galexy.
DarthAve is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #51
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikmin

There enjoy my argument.
I'm with Ender on this. You're making suppositions regarding Bao-Dur. If you can show us the appropriate cut content, I'll retract that statement. And you missed out a party member - Mandalore. He doesn't have a resolution at the end of his story.

Okay, Bao-Dur took on Czerka's destruction of the Telos Project. But I don't think that, even with his strong morals, he would have been foolish enough to take on the Dark Lord of the Sith.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #52
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:

I'm sorry, buψ as the others said, without additional proof for it originally being exactly as you described, your hypothesis is speculation like everyone else's here.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #53
Pikmin

Link to where you can here the cut dialog: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/kotor...d_6117573.html

Also eben though I didn't name Canderous he sorta had a resolution as well, if you had Visas with you on Malachor then he woudl have another scene with her and then when she heads into the Academy along with the others, he would stay outside to guard the entrance.

Otherwise, he would stay on the ship.

Also for M4-78 Dstoney had to conjecture some about the story to finish the planet. And parts of TSLRP have been moved(and partly re-created) so that it fits with the rest of the game.

If you are against it, I'll add it as an option.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #54
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
Also eben though I didn't name Canderous he sorta had a resolution as well, if you had Visas with you on Malachor then he woudl have another scene with her and then when she heads into the Academy along with the others, he would stay outside to guard the entrance.
That never happens in the released game, or at least i've never seen it. Is that cut content? If it is, it doesn't count as a resolution.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #55
Pikmin

It was cut...
Atton, Canderous, Mira, Hanharr, Brianna, Mical, Hk-47, Go-To, Bao-dur, and the Remote's endings were all cut or trimmed down.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #56
EnderWiggin

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Is that really Bao-Dur's voice? It doesn't really sound like it. In fact, there are a bunch of weird voices on there.

_EW_

Yes, I hate you.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:04 AM   #57
Q
The one who knocks

Oh, it's him, all right. It just seems to be slightly slowed down and/or distorted. This will have to be corrected before it can be used, but it's definitely him.

-Toker
Old 06-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #58
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

Quote:
Link to where you can here the cut dialog: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/kotor...d_6117573.html
Does anyone have another download link? I'm too lazy to register at that site.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #59
Robondacob
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Skywalker View Post
It's the voice, it can melt the hearts of both women AND men.

I never really cared about Bao-Dur much.
His VOICE?! His voice made me die inside. I wanted to scream at him to talk louder or something. He was so annoying.

Sorry I just get worked up when it comes to him.
Robondacob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #60
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

Current Game: Team Fortress 2
^: Agreed. The voice was so soft and...bland.

Da_man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2008, 01:21 AM   #61
Melly

Hmm, I found Bao-Dur's voice to be very indicative of a man who seems calm on the surface, but in reality who's anger is barely held in check. Funny how different people see things, isn't it?

"They may not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me you are. It's not the sort of thing you just stop being. You're stuck with it. Just like you're stuck being the General."
~Bao-Dur, The Sith Lords
Melly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2008, 01:38 AM   #62
Robondacob
Rookie

You're entitled to your own opinion. I just find his voice out of place sometimes. Also, I have to turn up the sound all the way just to hear what he says.
Robondacob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #63
MacTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robondacob View Post
Also, I have to turn up the sound all the way just to hear what he says.
Hehe I have to do that too sometimes .

MacTavish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #64
Burnseyy
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly View Post
Hmm, I found Bao-Dur's voice to be very indicative of a man who seems calm on the surface, but in reality who's anger is barely held in check. Funny how different people see things, isn't it?

indeed!
though it did get annoying when all you could say was 'nothing nevermind'

"If God is a DJ, then life is a dance floor, love is the rhythm and you are the music."

Burnseyy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #65
MacTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnseyy View Post
though it did get annoying when all you could say was 'nothing nevermind'
Yea! especially when your trying to turn him into a Jedi and you have to wait until some random moment in the game when you can finally ask him something .

MacTavish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #66
Lord Foley

I like to think that all of the characters, including Bao-Dur, will be considered alive in KotOR III because all the endings were cut. I think there's really no way to argue anything here, seeing as there is little to nothing to support either side- the game just doesn't care about your friends in the end.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #67
luckyariot
Rookie

Hmm... I always thought it was likely that Bao-Dur was originally going to die, whether it was at Malachor V or at M4-78. It just seemed to be heading that way until half way through the game-which is when there is nothing more to say to the guy...

I don't mind his voice so much, but the volume and quality is terrible at times. Seriously, I thought he was whispering or something before I turned up the volume and realised... wow, they didn't work too hard on that voice did they?
luckyariot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #68
zemegauser
Rookie

I personally totally disliked Bao-Dur, I got him, used him for a bit, then switched him off. Completely useless to me. This hapened to Visas as well. Never used any droids.(droids suck ass) Just me, Atton, Handmaiden and Hanharr was all I needed.
zemegauser is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #69
Burnseyy
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemegauser View Post
Just me, Atton, Handmaiden and Hanharr was all I needed.
Hanharr was so boring lol
I hate the wookies on the game. Zalbaar was the same. guhh. T.T;

(just to clarify, that line rhymed.)

"If God is a DJ, then life is a dance floor, love is the rhythm and you are the music."

Old 07-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #70
DarthAve
Yeezy

Quote:
Hanharr was so boring lol
I hate the wookies on the game. Zalbaar was the same. guhh. T.T;

(just to clarify, that line rhymed.)
Seriously. Here's what I got from the wookies in the games.

Hanharr - RAWR. YOU NOT READY FOR TEH SHADOWLANDZ, NOOB.
Zalbaar - MY BROTHER = DOUCHEBAG, MISSION GET AWAY FROM ME WITH THAT HAIRBRUSH, OMFG I SWEAR.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #71
Burnseyy
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAve View Post
Seriously. Here's what I got from the wookies in the games.

Hanharr - RAWR. YOU NOT READY FOR TEH SHADOWLANDZ, NOOB.
Zalbaar - MY BROTHER = DOUCHEBAG, MISSION GET AWAY FROM ME WITH THAT HAIRBRUSH, OMFG I SWEAR.
haha.
too true.

i'm so glad you could at least kind of 'decide' whether to have Hanharr or not.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #72
DarthAve
Yeezy

Quote:
haha.
too true.

i'm so glad you could at least kind of 'decide' whether to have Hanharr or not.
The only thing I like about Hanharr is that in his little picture thingy in the party selection page, he sorta looks like my dog.... but then again, I dislike my dog....

yeah, the point of this post is nothing. Except I still like bao-dur...
Old 07-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #73
EnderWiggin

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAve View Post
I dislike my dog....
Same one that attacked you? or are you just mean?

_EW_

Yes, I hate you.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:40 AM   #74
bally3000
Rookie

Current Game: Mass Effect trilogy (again :3)
I bet boa-Durr is sunbathing right now with a cocktail in his hand and new half built bot in the other =p

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

The rule of two -
One to embody the power,
And,
One to crave it
bally3000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2008, 05:12 AM   #75
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

yknow, the first time i played, i couldnt have cared less about bao. my friend thought he was awesome but i was like, "what?! he does nothing! you cant even talk to him!"
but it was crazy... in my second playthrough, i just... thought he was great! he just suddenly looked really neat, and MAN, he looks AWESOME when he's darkside!! i now think bao-dur is great!! it would SO annoying if they really killed him! if that happened... i would be SO ticked. first they go mess up the ending sacrificing quality for their wallets, and then to go kill bao-dur?? i wouldnt stand it!

is this thread necromancy? there seems to be a trend right now... how old is too old for resurrection? this thread is on the first page... and besides, when i saw it i *had* to post my annoyance
im with melly on this

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #76
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
is this thread necromancy? there seems to be a trend right now... how old is too old for resurrection? this thread is on the first page... and besides, when i saw it i *had* to post my annoyance
im with melly on this
Necromancy is "ok" should it spur discussion and contain some meaningful content rather than more than "Yeah, something-something PWNZers" It tends to be a case-by-case situation honestly.

Generally though.. if a thread is very old.. often times it's best just to create a new one, assuming the old one isn't still on the front page . Since we get so many new members often, especially during LA game releases (TFU anyone?) many people haven't had the chance to explore the entire LFN forums to voice their opinion.. hehehe.

This thread for example, is only bumped after a month.. not so bad, so it's in the clear

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #77
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Bao-dur...ugh.

I met him on Telos, and a friend of mine watching me play it heard his voice and said, "Oh, I really, really like his voice! He looks like a cool character!" I smiled, agreed, and inwardly grimaced.

She now says, "I wish he would speak up. That is such a horrible voice!"

Also, once she saw that the only thing he could do was tap a stupid force field with his stupid arm, and she saw his DS tattoos, she said, "Um...what's with the dumb little ridges all over his face in the LS? Why not give him some tattoos?"...

We both agreed on Hanharr and Zaalbar.

DIE, FURBAGS!!!!!!!

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > and Bao-Dur dies...