lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Newbian, we've got lotsa dat!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-06-2001, 08:31 PM   #41
Wilhuf

Quote:
If newbians DO join OUR games and are getting slapped around real bad, if they show a good attitude, I don't see any reason for us to not give them a few tips.
Now that's what I'm talkin' bout here. It's very rewarding to me to share tips with newcomers.

Wilhuf

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Winston Churchill, 1941.
Wilhuf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2001, 09:02 PM   #42
Ki-Adi-Mundi

Ahh... now everyone is happy. heh heh

I wonder what planet Newbians come from.

Ki-Adi-Mundi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2001, 09:09 PM   #43
Ki-Adi-Mundi

Anyone up for a game on the Zone? My Zone name is SL_Ki_Adi_Mundi.

Be warned, I haven't played in a few months. Since... December I think.

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: Ki-Adi-Mundi ]

Ki-Adi-Mundi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2001, 09:15 PM   #44
Red_XIIII

12 button gamepad + mouse is the wayto go in Jk/Mots games, you sux till u can use a joy an a mouse together
Red_XIIII is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2001, 09:15 PM   #45
BeerMan

I've been playing jk for 4 and a half years. It took me years to get good just like many others. I don't like a game where you master it in a few months and then never play it again. If a game takes years to get good at, people will probably stick with it as I have

Beer
BeerMan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2001, 02:11 AM   #46
Krayt Tion

I treat others as I don’t mind being treated myself.

If I buy and start playing a multiplayer game that has been out for several months, let alone several years, I expect to get a$$r4p3D by my competition until I become familiar with the game. From the very beginning of my multiplayer computer gaming career I was ganked by the more experienced players. I see nothing wrong with that to this day.

There are games designed to drastically limit the effectiveness a player can have no matter how much time he puts into the game.

------------------
The Following text gives a semi-detailed example of such 'More Time Spent- Less Actual Strict Advantages Gained' game design in effect. This is not vital to my point and the impatient can skip below it to finish the post.

This came be seen very easy in massive multiplayer online roleplaying games (MMORPGs) currently in development; they have levels a character can gain by collecting experience points which can be gathered largely by killing monsters. You're going to have to kill more and more monsters as you advance each level and that takes time. At the same time you can also fight other players; the higher level you are the stronger you are going to be and the more abilities you gain. One of these games has territorial conquest, which you must fight other players for, as a main goal of the game. Now tell me, how are the players that buy this game months afterwards going to be able to fight others if it takes them forever to level up when they fight the monsters? One of the things the designers are doing is making it easier to achieve maximum level. This lets players 'catch up' to the maximum level of others players a lot more quickly so they can stand a chance.

This MMORPG, however, is based more on pre-defined abilities you can with out a doubt aquire if you put in the time. Twitch reflexes do not play a significant part in this game, very much unlike your average multiplayer FPS.
--------------------

If a player really is looking for a gaming genre that he will be new to and still be able to achieve intermediate/non-newb status in a short period of time he should look into some 2 player arcade games, like vanilla 2-player Pong, and stay pretty far away from FPSes in general.

I agree with what someone mentioned earlier about how JK 2 will signal the arrival of many Star Wars fans who are completely new to the world of the FPS. However, we shouldn't expect the ingrained learning curve of the FPS (including our very own JK2) to change overnight for these people.

The developers do have control over things that can make the FPS more complex overall. Even one of the comparatively simplistic FPSes, the original Quake 3, presents a learning curve that is very difficult for FPS noobs that are not even accustomed to aiming and moving at the same time.

If you are concerned that Raven might add too much to the complexity of the already learning-curve dependant FPS, I would say you have little to worry about. Just like JK, the one thing that will make this game more difficult than your average FPS is your saber and force powers. I don't have the exact quote on me but it appears Raven has already opted for a simpler and more streamlined system of force control. The saber movement is also nothing like the original PC Obi-Wan attempted; it is very much at this point (and unfortunately imo ) like the original JK. In short, you shouldn't be worried about JK2 being more complicated and less newbie-friendly then JK as far as controls are concerned. But was JK too complicated to begin with? I say no. More complicated than your average FPS? Yes. Worth the slightly higher learning curve? I think almost everyone here agrees Yes, the higher learning curve in JK was worth it.

This entire point is kind of moot anyways since we will have dedicated servers that can be advertised for every skill level, not to mention private passwords servers. Will "Xperts" host/join "Beginner” Games so they can beat the crap out of newbs? Yes. These types always will because their desire to win destroys any sense of integrity or fair play in their game. There is no amount of code that Raven can put in that can design around that.

Early on when the game first ships will everyone be thrown into the mix n00bs and newbs alike? Yep. Is this bad? Naw. If it was bad would it be worth it for Raven to make the game easier so people won't get trounced so bad? Hell no. Quicker learning from quicker poundings; time to play the game like every FPS you've ever played or just like your first one you've ever played if you are new.

Edited because using Force Long Post completely drained my mana, thereby preventing me from using Force Good Editing

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: Krayt Tion ]
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2001, 03:27 AM   #47
SithTexasDeath

It does not matter if youre a newbie or not it depends on the first person game experienced. If you played doom or any other fps the skill comes in time dont base the development on the newbie factor. If you suk in the first placemay you should play somthing else other than fps..............
SithTexasDeath is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2001, 05:31 AM   #48
KillerBee

red_x, think of the keyboard as a 105 button joy pad, and most of us play like it..
Gonk droid.. I can do all of that using my keyb.. its just a matter of people dumping default cfgs.
KillerBee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2001, 06:45 AM   #49
GonkH8er

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
i agree with bee.... i used the keyboard for EVERYTHING for quite a long time... its possible to do everything if you have enough fingers

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
JediKnight.net JediKnightII.net
GonkH8er is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2001, 10:53 AM   #50
KillerBee

you need a mouse to.. keyb alone isnt enough!
but mouse + keyb = the only controllers needed for FPS..I used to play with a stick.. completed JK sp with one... but then playing with a mouse went back and did it 2* as quick and found all the secrets, as you can actually look about..
KillerBee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2001, 04:28 PM   #51
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

I use a keyboard and mouse to. Used to use a joystick, but that sucked. If you can type two handed without lookin at the keyboard it helps, and by using the muse you have sooooo much more control. On JK2 you'll need that control as you can now hit anywhere on the enemies body and it'll take effect (GHOUL 2). Before wherever you hit them it didnt matter. SO WE WILL NEED CONTROL TO AIM!

The force will betray you to me.
CaptainRAVE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2001, 04:29 PM   #52
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

and we dont know whats happening with their lightsabre system....we might need to use the mouse??????

The force will betray you to me.
CaptainRAVE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Newbian, we've got lotsa dat!