lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: TSLPatcher v1.2.10b1 (mod installer)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #241
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undying_Jedi
5, the error occurrs right after i click the install button in the installer. it doesnt even ask for my game folder
Hmm, weird. Does the confirmation dialog box appear after you click the Install button? Does the mod info text box get cleared and any line posted in the progress log there, or does it crash before anything else seemingly happens?

You could try opening the changes.ini file found inside the tslpatchdata folder of the mod you try to install, and under the [Settings] section change the value of the PlaintextLog key from 0 to 1, save and then try to run the installer again. Does that make any difference?

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #242
Undying_Jedi
Lurker

Thanks!!!!!!!

its working now! much appreciated!!

just so you know, the error occured when the installer just began installing, so there was one line of words displayed.

again, thanks so much!!
Undying_Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #243
Darth Vanisher
Rookie

Err... excuse me, wanted to ask something about TSL Patcher.
Actually, it's about the .2da files.

I have difficulty in using the ChangesEdit, about adding new lines for .2da files. Here's the case. I want the TSL patcher to create new lines for the .2da files (spells, upcrystals, and baseitems), so I choose the .2da files selection on the changes.ini tree. After that I add the .2da files I wrote above. Then it shows a blank modifier. I have read the readme file, and it tell me about comparing something. So I've tried to compare by clicking the "finger button" on the TSL patcher.

After that, the "Select ORIGINAL .2da to compare against" window appear. So I choose the upcrystal.2da that places in my Override folder. Then the "Select MODIFIED .2da to compare against ORIGINAL" window appear. So I choose the upcrystal.2da from the mod I have in the TSL Patcher folder.

After that it shows a bunch of lines. From there, I don't understand what to do next. How to make the installer add a new lines for the mod each time it's installed? I'm getting confused at this...

Thank you very much for your time... and your help.
Darth Vanisher is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2007, 12:01 AM   #244
Kristy Kistic

Hi stoffe

I have some questions about using TSLP for integrating dialog files. (I absolutely love this idea, btw). I used the meditation.rar file that you supplied as an example, So...

From what I gather, if the parent of the branch you want to add is an entry the Path var would be EntryList\<entry#>\RepliesList

What is the Path var syntax if the parent is a reply?
What is the Path var syntax if the branch you want to add is in the StartingList?

One last thing. I noticed you pretty much hard coded the entry and reply indexes into the changes.ini file. Suppose for arguments sake, that these indexes already existed (as in someone had already added to the dialog file). Is there a token to determine the count of the EntryList and ReplyList? Or does TSLP check for this and adjust as needed?

Kristy Kistic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #245
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy Kistic
From what I gather, if the parent of the branch you want to add is an entry the Path var would be EntryList\<entry#>\RepliesList

What is the Path var syntax if the parent is a reply?
What is the Path var syntax if the branch you want to add is in the StartingList?
The RepliesList field under each Entry struct in the EntryList contains an index link to a struct in the ReplyList for each Reply that comes below that Entry.

The EntriesList field under each Reply struct in the ReplyList contains an index link to a struct in the EntryList for each Entry that comes below that Reply.

So, to add a new Reply node below an existing Entry in the DLG file, you find the list index of the parent Entry (#) within the EntryList and set the parent like EntryList\#\RepliesList for your new node.

To add a new Entry node below an existing Reply in the DLG file you find the list index of the parent Reply (#) within the ReplyList and set the parent like ReplyList\#\EntriesList for your new node.

Consequently, since the patcher needs to know the index of the parent node in the ReplyList or EntryList this means the patching will fail if the user has a heavily modified version of the DLG file in their install destination (override or ERF/RIM file) since those indexes may no longer exist, or they may have been renumbered if a DLG editor that doesn't preserve the indexing order of the nodes was used to modify it.

In other words this isn't as safe to do as for example TLK or 2DA patching since it assumes a certain structure of the source file but has no way of verifying if this actually is the case, but in the instances that it does work it should save the user some trouble having to merge things manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy Kistic
One last thing. I noticed you pretty much hard coded the entry and reply indexes into the changes.ini file.
If you mean the Value of the Index fields those aren't really hardcoded, since the values assigned when the fields are created will be overwritten further down, during the convoluted modifying of the fields that have been added before.

For example, if you look at these modifiers (relevant parts highlighted):
Code:
[gff_kreia_Index_0]
FieldType=DWORD
Label=Index
Value=738
2DAMEMORY8=!FieldPath

[gff_kreia_ReplyList_738_0]
FieldType=Struct
Path=ReplyList
Label=
TypeId=ListIndex
AddField0=gff_kreia_Listener_3
AddField1=gff_kreia_AnimList_3
AddField2=gff_kreia_Text_3
AddField3=gff_kreia_VO_ResRef_3
AddField4=gff_kreia_Script_3
AddField5=gff_kreia_Delay_3
AddField6=gff_kreia_Comment_3
AddField7=gff_kreia_Sound_3
AddField8=gff_kreia_Quest_3
AddField9=gff_kreia_PlotIndex_3
AddField10=gff_kreia_PlotXPPercentage_3
AddField11=gff_kreia_WaitFlags_3
AddField12=gff_kreia_CameraAngle_3
AddField13=gff_kreia_FadeType_3
AddField14=gff_kreia_EntriesList_0
AddField15=gff_kreia_SoundExists_3
AddField16=gff_kreia_ActionParam1_3
AddField17=gff_kreia_ActionParam1b_3
AddField18=gff_kreia_ActionParam2_3
AddField19=gff_kreia_ActionParam2b_3
AddField20=gff_kreia_ActionParam3_3
AddField21=gff_kreia_ActionParam3b_3
AddField22=gff_kreia_ActionParam4_3
AddField23=gff_kreia_ActionParam4b_3
AddField24=gff_kreia_ActionParam5_3
AddField25=gff_kreia_ActionParam5b_3
AddField26=gff_kreia_ActionParamStrA_3
AddField27=gff_kreia_ActionParamStrB_3
AddField28=gff_kreia_AlienRaceNode_3
AddField29=gff_kreia_CamVidEffect_3
AddField30=gff_kreia_Changed_3
AddField31=gff_kreia_Emotion_3
AddField32=gff_kreia_FacialAnim_3
AddField33=gff_kreia_NodeID_3
AddField34=gff_kreia_NodeUnskippable_3
AddField35=gff_kreia_PostProcNode_3
AddField36=gff_kreia_RecordNoOverri_3
AddField37=gff_kreia_RecordVO_3
AddField38=gff_kreia_Script2_3
AddField39=gff_kreia_VOTextChanged_3
AddField40=gff_kreia_CameraID_3
AddField41=gff_kreia_RecordNoVOOverri_3
2DAMEMORY7=ListIndex

[kreia.dlg]
AddField0=gff_kreia_RepliesList_3_0
AddField1=gff_kreia_EntryList_627_0
AddField2=gff_kreia_EntryList_628_0
AddField3=gff_kreia_EntryList_629_0
AddField4=gff_kreia_ReplyList_738_0
AddField5=gff_kreia_ReplyList_739_0
AddField6=gff_kreia_ReplyList_740_0
2DAMEMORY2=2DAMEMORY1
2DAMEMORY4=2DAMEMORY3
2DAMEMORY6=2DAMEMORY5
2DAMEMORY8=2DAMEMORY7
2DAMEMORY10=2DAMEMORY9
2DAMEMORY12=2DAMEMORY11
In the first one, the line 2DAMEMORY8=!FieldPath stores the full field path to the new Reply-link node that was just added in the 2DAMEMORY8 token (needed since you don't know beforehand what list index it will end up as).

In the second one, the line 2DAMEMORY7=ListIndex stores the list index the new struct that is inserted ends up as in the ReplyList in the 2DAMEMORY7 token.

In the third one, the line 2DAMEMORY8=2DAMEMORY7 links these two stored pieces of info together. It assigns the value in the 2DAMEMORY7 token (the list index) to the field at the path stored in the 2DAMEMORY8 token.

For example, say that the RepliesList link to your new Reply node that is added to entry 587 in the EntryList gets added as EntryList\587\RepliesList\4\Index. And that your new reply node struct added to the ReplyList (which the previous link should point to) gets added at list index 600 in the Reply List.

Then the third highlighted modifier above would read, when parsed by the patcher:
Assign the value 600 to the field EntryList\587\RepliesList\4\Index

Thus the initial value that was assigned when the Index field was created above (738) would be overwritten by the actual value (600) soon afterwards, and it's no longer hardcoded but dynamic.

Very convoluted and primitive, but at least it works (in the cases I've tested) until someone can figure out a better way of doing it.

(Wish I had used XML instead of INI as format for the patcher config file back when I first made it. Would have made it a lot easier to structure this sort of thing logically in the configuration. )

Last edited by stoffe; 08-29-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #246
Kristy Kistic

Umm...sorry about that entire line of questioning. I completely missed a post where you explained about using the gff compare function. When I asked those questions I thought I was going to have to do it by hand (wasn't questioning your coding).

Still, thanks for the reply, though

Kristy Kistic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2007, 07:28 AM   #247
stoffe
Network Caretaker

TSLPatcher v1.2.10b1 - bugfix version uploaded

I've uploaded TSLPatcher v1.2.10b1 and ChangeEdit v1.0.5b1 to correct a problem I just noticed, download link is in the first post in this thread as usual.

These updates fixes a bug/oversight with ExoString fields and ExoLocString field substrings containing linefeeds or carriage return characters when patching GFF format files. Earlier the INI file would get messed up and only the text before the first LF/CR would be added to the GFF files. Now all the text should be properly added even with multiple paragraphs.

INI config files already broken by this bug (*nudge* Brotherhood of Shadow mod *nudge*) can be fixed manually with a text editor by removing the newlines so all the text in following a lang# key is on the same line in the INI file, and then insert <#LF#> where the newlines should be. (Make sure you turn off word/line wrapping in the text editor first) E.g this...

lang0=The quick brown fox

jumps over the lazy dog!

...would have to be changed to look like this:

lang0=The quick brown fox<#LF#><#LF#>jumps over the lazy dog!

...which would end up like this in the GFF substring after patching the file:

The quick brown fox

jumps over the lazy dog

If you don't do this fix, the text in the GFF substring after patching would just be:

The quick brown fox

Note: This only applies to changes.ini files that have already been broken due to this bug. ChangeEdit has been updated to handle this automatically when creating new files, or creating new GFF file modifiers in an existing one.

Last edited by stoffe; 09-19-2007 at 09:07 AM. Reason: clarified a bit more...
Old 11-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #248
Soulforged
Rookie

Hi I'm using the patcher (newest version) and trying to assing a new value thourgh a memory token for an item's BaseItem field. What I want is to copy an existent line on baseitems.2da and modify somethings inside it and I want the memory token to save the new line by its number in the index. Then an item will get modified and use that token as the value for it's BaseItem field. However everytime I do it the field ends up with the original value (that's the value of the line that's being copied) instead of the new one. Here's the relevant part of the code (since it's too large to post here):

Code:
(Tlk StrRef and other bunch of things)...

[2DAList]
(...)
Table1=baseitems.2da
(...)

[GFFList]
(...)
File13=w_melee_19.uti

(...)

[baseitems.2da]
(...)
CopyRow1=baseitems_add_ryyk_blade
(...)

[baseitems_add_ryyk_blade]
RowIndex=4
ExclusiveColumn=label
2DAMEMORY137=RowLabel
label=Ryyk_Blade
name=StrRef431
damageflags=4
numdice=3
dietoroll=4
critthreat=1
crithitmult=3
reqfeat0=2DAMEMORY27
specfeat=2DAMEMORY29
focfeat=2DAMEMORY28
That created the new line, it works, the new line appears as I wanted it on baseitems.2da, however when I read the log it says that what's being saved is the value "4" (original value), instead of the new value which should be "107", at the end of the table.

Code:
(...)
[w_melee_19.uti]
BaseItem=2DAMEMORY137
LocalizedName(strref)=StrRef431
DescIdentified(strref)=StrRef432
UpgradeLevel=3
!ReplaceFile=1
That modifies the weapon, however as the value being stored is "4" instead of the new line...Well it doesn't work.

I've taken a look to Chainz Bao Dur armor, but he adds a new line from scratch instead of copying it.

So any thoughts?

EDIT: Never mind problem solved. I had to put the 2DAMEMORY creation after I set the label for the base item. Then it stored it correctly. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by Soulforged; 11-09-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Soulforged is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #249
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulforged
trying to assing a new value thourgh a memory token for an item's BaseItem field. What I want is to copy an existent line on baseitems.2da and modify somethings inside it and I want the memory token to save the new line by its number in the index. Then an item will get modified and use that token as the value for it's BaseItem field.
The problem is with the line...

2DAMEMORY137=RowLabel

...as this will save the value in the (Row Label) column, while the baseitems.2da file is indexed by line number. So you should use...

2DAMEMORY137=RowIndex

...instead, since this will save the line number your new line gets added as in the token.

Generally there are three key values you can use to identify a particular row in most cases:

RowIndex - the line number of the row
RowLabel - The label of the row, displayed as a (Row Label) column in KotorTool.
LabelIndex - The value in the label column of the row. This obviously only works with 2DA files that have a label column, and is mostly used for editing/copying existing rows where you don't know what the row label or line number is (usually since the target lines were dynamically added by a mod earlier).

Old 11-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #250
Soulforged
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
The problem is with the line...

2DAMEMORY137=RowLabel

...as this will save the value in the (Row Label) column, while the baseitems.2da file is indexed by line number. So you should use...

2DAMEMORY137=RowIndex

...instead, since this will save the line number your new line gets added as in the token.

Generally there are three key values you can use to identify a particular row in most cases:

RowIndex - the line number of the row
RowLabel - The label of the row, displayed as a (Row Label) column in KotorTool.
LabelIndex - The value in the label column of the row. This obviously only works with 2DA files that have a label column, and is mostly used for editing/copying existing rows where you don't know what the row label or line number is (usually since the target lines were dynamically added by a mod earlier).
Thanks stoffe, though as I said it worked with RowLabel I just had to put the 2DAMEMORY line after the itemtype was created.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:13 AM   #251
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Thanks stoffe, though as I said it worked with RowLabel I just had to put the 2DAMEMORY line after the itemtype was created.
It works in this case, but may be unreliable if some other mod adds lines with values in the row label column that are out of sequence so the row label no longer matches the line number of the row.

The value used for reference in this case is the line number, the row label just happens to match the line number in many (but not all) 2DA files as standard. But there is nothing that enforces this numbering since the row label doesn't seem to be used for anything by the game in the line number indexed 2DAs.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:51 AM   #252
Akaiten
Lurker

Unhappy v1.2.9b1 bug

When appending tlk files to dialog.tlk the size of existing strings is increased by 1 (probably this appear only when size of dialog.tlk file exceed 10Mb).

To stoffe:
Quote:
Heh, that's half the reason why I haven't posted the source code for my tools yet (it's not pretty).
Why you scare to open the source code of this tool? Like said russian proverb: "four eyes see more than two"

Thanks.

Last edited by Akaiten; 11-21-2007 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Correct
Akaiten is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-23-2007, 05:01 PM   #253
Halarion
Lurker

I cant download the patcher from that site and i cant find another site. can you upload it somewhere so i can get it? I got alot of mods i want to install
/thx for the help
Halarion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-23-2007, 11:36 PM   #254
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halarion
I got alot of mods i want to install
Just an FYI, but mods that use the patcher already are self contained, meaning you need to do nothing but download a mod and use the installer .exe file contained therein.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2007, 03:58 AM   #255
Halarion
Lurker

When i had made the post then i could download the patcher, and i remembered the i did not have the right program for unziping the mods. So now i have the patcher and my mods installed.
It does help to post in forums
Halarion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2007, 07:34 AM   #256
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiten
When appending tlk files to dialog.tlk the size of existing strings is increased by 1 (probably this appear only when size of dialog.tlk file exceed 10Mb).
Hmm, I haven't noticed that. I'll have to look into it and see what causes it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #257
Soulforged
Rookie

I've a request, if it's not much to ask (that's what I don't know actually, how much work it will take): Is it possible for you, stoffe, to make this program handle all kinds of 2da files? Rather than just binary ones.

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm using your program to install NWN2 modifications, but as you probably know NWN2 uses 2da binary files.

If you can't do it yourself then could I've a look at the source code? That will really help the NWN modding community (not just me, of course).

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:23 AM   #258
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
I've a request, if it's not much to ask (that's what I don't know actually, how much work it will take): Is it possible for you, stoffe, to make this program handle all kinds of 2da files? Rather than just binary ones.
It should be possible to do, I've just been too lazy to get to it since it wasn't really needed and string matching of that variety is quite tedious work in a language without regular expressions or other advances string matching functionality.

But if there is need for it I can add it to the To Do list and try to implement it.

I'd have to update it to be able to handle the ERF V1.1 format as well so it can read NWN2 MOD files for it to be all that useful. If I recall correctly the differences were fairly minor, just implementing the longer 32 character ResRefs for the contained resources instead of the 16 character ones KOTOR/NWN1 uses? The ResType <--> File extension conversion table may be different as well.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:48 AM   #259
Soulforged
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
It should be possible to do, I've just been too lazy to get to it since it wasn't really needed and string matching of that variety is quite tedious work in a language without regular expressions or other advances string matching functionality.

But if there is need for it I can add it to the To Do list and try to implement it.

I'd have to update it to be able to handle the ERF V1.1 format as well so it can read NWN2 MOD files for it to be all that useful. If I recall correctly the differences were fairly minor, just implementing the longer 32 character ResRefs for the contained resources instead of the 16 character ones KOTOR/NWN1 uses? The ResType <--> File extension conversion table may be different as well.
Thanks then. I really don't want to be a bother, I even tried to use your 2DA converter, but when I tried to convert the 2DA files of NWN2 to binary format, the results weren't always happy (sometimes the data on all columns was concatenated all together in the first column). Even if they were it wouldn't be user friendly since anyone using a mod like that would have to run the patcher and then use the converter to convert file by file back to a text 2DA. Anyway, thanks again for keeping your support to the modding community.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #260
Eefluxx

I got a quick question

If I released something with the patcher and then decided to go back and add something that would override the original (ie. a TGA that I modified for darkside transistions) would I have to redo the whole thing or can I just add the new TGA's to the tslpatchdata folder and override the old TGA's

Feel Free To Disagree.....Most People Do Anyways
Eefluxx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #261
goodtobi
Lurker

i hav a problem i went to properties and accadentallly clicked on the change button and now it opens up some internet page with nothing on it then the page quickly closes i then have no clue how to fix this and i seem to be suffering the same effect from a mod i recentlly downloaded (this is like my first time ever modding anything and i really need help
goodtobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 12:08 AM   #262
Sgt. Strike
Rookie

I have a few questions. I'm not a modder, but I do use mods. Some mods install great, while others, I have to replace the file that I put into my override directory. Some of those are .2da's. Now, if I use the TSLPatcher, will this combine the .2da files that I have, or do I have to use some other tool to do that? I prefer to know before I try this tool. If needed, I'll download and use Fred Tetra's tool. But if this will do it for me, I'll use it. Anyway, I think that those who make mods are doing a good thing, and also you all keep up the good work.

*Edit* The reason I'm asking is because I have some mods that have some of the same files, and I prefer either combining them, or even editing one to have aspects of the other. I'll make a new thread telling you all what mods I am using, which may help you all, as well.

When everything else fails, CHEAT!
Sgt. Strike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #263
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Strike
I have a few questions. I'm not a modder, but I do use mods. Some mods install great, while others, I have to replace the file that I put into my override directory. Some of those are .2da's. Now, if I use the TSLPatcher, will this combine the .2da files that I have, or do I have to use some other tool to do that?
TSLPatcher is capable of adding new lines/columns or editing existing lines in 2DA files already present in the override folder, but it needs to be configured to do so. Depending on what 2DA file it is and what changes has been done to it this can be a mostly painless process. The config utility can compare two 2DA files and create patch instructions of the differences between them, though in many cases you need to manually tweak some of these instructions to insert dynamic values or links to dynamic values in other files (using StrRef ad 2daMemory tokens).

The TSLPatcher is mostly intended as something a mod maker can use to make it easier to dodge some types of mod compatibility issues for the mod users. Since you need some knowledge of how the mod is built and how things fit together (to be able to link things properly) it may be hard to use as a compatibility tool for players with a mod that wasn't shipped with it.

If you just want to merge some 2DA files there is a 2DA Converter utility which can do this instead more easily (it takes 2 modified 2DA files and one unaltered copy of the same 2DA file, compares them and put the changes in the two files together into one file). You still need to be aware of how the 2DA files are used by the game though, since some lines in 2DA files are referenced by line number, and if the line number changes you need to update all places that point to that line as well.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #264
Sgt. Strike
Rookie

Thank you Stoffe for that. I think I may have to write to all the bloody modders, and ask them to please up date their mods, and to use the TSLPatcher, so that us players can install the mods, and not have to worry about compatibility issues between one mod and the next. The next, biggest, mod problem I have is some of the .ncs files are the same. I am debating to install the mods that have those same things, or even put certain things into separate directories, and and keeping the major stuff in the main override directory. That may eliminate some minor problem with those files.

As a side note, this is not really a complaint against you modders, but something to keep an eye out for. I love all the mods I have, and I would like to use them all, just that some aren't fully compatible with each other. But, again, keep up the good work, and please try to use the TSLPAtcher, as it makes life easier all around.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #265
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Strike
TSLPatcher, so that us players can install the mods, and not have to worry about compatibility issues between one mod and the next. The next, biggest, mod problem I have is some of the .ncs files are the same. I am debating to install the mods that have those same things, or even put certain things into separate directories, and and keeping the major stuff in the main override directory.
The problem is that the way the KOTOR game uses to store game data and assets isn't really well adapted for mods and making things from different sources play nice with each other. Some problems can be mitigated with utilities like TSLPatcher, but it's not a universal solution to all kinds of mod compatibility problems. Some things, like scripts, cannot easily be automated to provide compatibility. Using mods for Kotor will never be as beginner friendly as it is for other games that have been designed with 3rd party modding in mind.

In the case of scripts you'll either need to merge them by hand, or choose what mod you prefer the most if several modify the same standard game scripts. Merging them by hand usually isn't all that hard if you got the script compiler and basic knowledge about how to use it, if the mod makers have documented the changes they've done to the scripts. But it does require some modding knowledge.

There isn't much modders can do about this other than avoid modifying the standard scripts whenever possible, and document what they have changed when it's unavoidable.

Just putting scripts with the same name in different sub-folders will not solve the compatibility problems. The game can only use one resource of each type with a particular ResRef, so only one of the scripts would be used while the others are ignored.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #266
Sgt. Strike
Rookie

Thank you Stoffe for that. I'm going to just be careful of the mods I use, now, until I get ready to make my own. Won't be anything spectacular, maybe just use what I have, and place them in different places, and actually make them work a little better.

One thing I want to try is using some of the other containers that are in the game, so I don't have to with doors, and entering stuff. This way, I avoid the necessity of using some of the files other modders use.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #267
Star Dragon
Lurker

Have I just got the bad luck of trying to DL the tool on the day the site is down? Every site I searched leads to a Swkights.tool link and it is error. (Or posts asking about a TSL Patcher link)

For such a critical tool are there any other DL mirrors?

Any help would be appreciated.
Star Dragon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #268
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Dragon
Have I just got the bad luck of trying to DL the tool on the day the site is down? Every site I searched leads to a Swkights.tool link and it is error. (Or posts asking about a TSL Patcher link)
The Starwarsknights site has some technical difficulties at the moment. Hopefully it will be fixed within a day or so, and the file should be available after that again.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #269
LEEch37
Lurker

Post Can Anyone Help?

Sorry for being a bit of a noobie but i need help....I've tried to download the TSLPatcher several times and it doesn't seem to work, all i get is some file the computer does not recognize can anyone tell me what im either doing wrong or what the problem is...

Help would be Much Appreciated
LEEch37 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #270
JeffS417
Lurker

If the Patcher keeps mods compatible then could the TSL Patcher required mods just go in the Override or something else, Thanks

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force
JeffS417 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2008, 07:04 AM   #271
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS417 View Post
If the Patcher keeps mods compatible then could the TSL Patcher required mods just go in the Override or something else, Thanks
Mods that come with a TSLPatcher installer should not be manually placed in the override folder. The installer will copy the files to where they need to be when you run it, and sometimes make changes necessary to existing files. Depending on how the installer is configured you might break your game if you just copy files from the tslpatchdata folder into your override folder on your own.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #272
Jedil3thal
Rookie

TSL patcher messes things up alot in your game by installing same files in override it gets on my nerves^^

Weapons are helpful accesories but your skills are how you act In battle but to win strength is your greatest ally
Jedil3thal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #273
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Mass Effect 3
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
The patcher doesn't 'mess things up'. If anything, the person who set it up did. Make sure when you install any mod you always consult the read-me file first. Not reading them is a good way to install mods wrong, even if you are using a great tool like the TSL Patcher.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #274
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Ahh, the great TSLPatcher. Whenever I try to spell you, I wanna put an R before the P (TSLRPatcher; did u c wut i did thar?). That just explains how epic this thing is. [/buttkissing]

Now, I debated whether to post it here or in KTool's forum, but since my problem comes from this program, I decided to post it here

With this file, a modified(?) nwscript was included and whenever I try to open it with KTool's Text Editor, an error shows up. It tells me to continue or quit. If I click continue, a completely folded up KTool pops up (nothing open, just the option to open the K1 or TSL tree). I don't know if its a problem with THAT nwscript, or KTool.

I also have another problem, which I think might be solved quick:
When I open the ChangeEdit.exe program, I was looking at a tut on KOTORFiles. It showed that program. I opened it, and it looked nothing like it.
Heres the pic:
Too Big for here
But When I open it, it just shows the word Changes (Without the ini) and when I click on the plus sign, nothing emerges. Strange, right?
Now, when I open the File tab, and click on open, it wants me to find a changes.ini file. I don't know where to find one of those...

EDIT: I clicked on New, and saved somewhere, and I've fixed my bottom problem....
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #275
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerGod View Post
With this file, a modified(?) nwscript was included and whenever I try to open it with KTool's Text Editor, an error shows up. It tells me to continue or quit. If I click continue, a completely folded up KTool pops up
If you mean the nwscript.nss file it's just a normal text file which you can open with just about any text editor. It's just the standard file from the game with a few errors in it that have been corrected.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #276
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Ah. But that answers part of my question (I guess). But I still don't know if its a problem with the actual script, or KTool.
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #277
ElecManEXE
Rookie

I'm sure this is a noobish question, but I want to make sure I don't screw anything up right off the bat

Going through the TSLPatcher Readme, it says the following for setting up your mod...

2.4.Copy all the files that belong to your MOD into the tslpatchdata folder.

2.5.Extract UNALTERED copies of any 2DA and standard game GFF format files you want the TSLPatcher to work with. These files will be copied to override and then modified if the file did not already exist in the user's override folder. Put these files in the tslpatchdata folder.

Now, I'm not doing any new content or anything for this mod. Just some edits to existing .2da's and items. That's all I can actually do right now, being a modding newb. So my modded file names are identical to the unaltered ones. If I try to do the above, one set of files will just overwrite the other, since they have the same file names.

What am I missing? Does 2.4 above only apply to NEW files your mod adds, and I should just add the unaltered copys to the folders if I'm just editing? Or am I supposed to create a sub-folder inside "tslpatchdata" for one set?
ElecManEXE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #278
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Mass Effect 3
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
If you're just installing files (ie copying from tslpatchdata to override without having the patcher alter the files) then you will follow the directions in 2.4. If you have a 2DA or GFF file that you want the TSLPatcher to actively alter (such as you want to add a line to a 2DA, or change something in a GFF that is already in the user's override) then you follow step 2.5. The unaltered copy is to cover an instance where the user doesn't have that file already -- the patcher will copy the unaltered version you have with your mod, then make the necessary changes to it.

Does that answer your question?

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #279
ElecManEXE
Rookie

Yep, that covers it. Its one or the other, not both (at least not for the same file). Thanks.
ElecManEXE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #280
iPod916
Lurker

I'm trying to install the 'Super Skip Taris' mod.

Unfortunately, I beleive that there is the possibility that this mod THINKS it might have already been installed. [Even if that is true, the program does not work in any way shape or form]

For some reason, the 'button' at the bottom right hand corner of the screen does not appear. [It never has]

Here is a picture of how it SHOULD look... [not mine]

Here is a picture of how it looks when i use it;

My theory is, that i need to uninstall the program. Since as you noticed, the dirrectory was already present on the bottom left hand side of the window [part of it is visible] This program may have already been installed, but then the entire game itself was uninstalled.

Any tips on how to solve the problem would be good. But i can tell you now it has NOTHING to do with what extractor i am using.

I've also noticed that if i take the Tsl patcher, STRICTLY for that file [if you need a picture i'll show you one] and remove it from it's other folders... it will not be able to locate any of the information it needs for installation, so when it opens it will appear blank. But even then it STILL doesn't have the button in it's bottom right hand corner.
iPod916 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center > TSLPatcher v1.2.10b1 (mod installer)