lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Canon
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Canon

Are any of you, in your gameplay, influenced by what is considered canon (or at least alleged canon)? IE do you choose the gender, LS/DS alignment, or conversation path based, at all, on what the canon version is?

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
JCarter426

Not really. I usually play with a male Revan and female Exile, but I wouldn't say it's because of canon.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Revan 411
Forumite

I play as a lightside Revan in K1 and as either a lightside Male in K2 or a light side female in K2.

I don't really play as Canaan too much, and mostly do role playing instead.

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
Talak Sana
Rookie

I ALMOST always play with a male lightsider, in both games. I've tried playing with a female (only in K1), but never gotten farther than Taris. As for the path... I don't know, I can NEVER play dark side, it just doesn't seem right.

- Talak Sana
Talak Sana is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I also always play LS male in K1, and I prefer LS female in K2. I think it's probably because I'm influenced by what is canon, although I'm not totally sure. Maybe I just enjoy the story better that way.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
I like to play through once on what is considered canon, once as lightside male Revan, once as lightside female Exile, but normally I play darkside male in both games!

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
HIGH ON PIE 14
Forumite

Urgh, that nasty word - "Canon"

I have not been influenced by canon especially because I played both games through before realizing what the canon for K1 and TSL was.

I thought that TSl canon was only DSD female, just so it would be the exact opposite of K1 canon...I do tend to play LS though, but canon had no influence...

-HOP

Viva La Resistance!
HIGH ON PIE 14 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I also did my first playthroughs without knowing what canon was. I chose LS male for both, because it just made sense to me. I now choose LS female for TSL - I think it makes more sense for some reason.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
HIGH ON PIE 14
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter View Post
I also did my first playthroughs without knowing what canon was. I chose LS male for both, because it just made sense to me. I now choose LS female for TSL - I think it makes more sense for some reason.
Except for the fact that you are willingly accepting the Disciple, the most annoying party member in the KOTOR universe

-HOP

Viva La Resistance!
HIGH ON PIE 14 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Ha - good point. Handmaiden>>>Disciple

Old 08-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
JCarter426

Atton's dialogue is much better when the Exile is female, however; that's generally my reason for playing so.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
sometimes. but i usually have both Revan and the Exile as male - Revan partly because of canon but largely because i enjoy wooing (and annoying) Bastila, and the male Exile because i think the character dynamics are more interesting, with the jealousy between Visas and the Handmaiden, and Atris, and maybe i just prefer playing as a man. dunno. but i'm influenced by canon in K1 more than TSL certainly. edit: oh, and i always play LS in K1, because the DS options in K1 for the most part make you look like, as the Americans would say, a jerk. But in TSL nowadays i always play a sort of 'Chaotic good' or 'lawful evil', to use the D&D system i think it is. being a tortured soul and slowly falling is far more interesting than being a hopeless do-gooder i think. plus, Kreia is cool. but this has nothing to do with canon, so i don't know why i'm writing it. wtf.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #13
patient_zero

I'm able to feel more "immersed" while paying as a female, and when I play a male it's usually a stilted "let us see what features are different" run where I go purely LS or purely DS. More of my females lean lightside with a bit of a "destiny sucks, but I'll do what I have to do" attitude.

I prefer Carth's flirting to Bastila tossing herself at your feet and cute little Atton's occasionaly lovely dialogue to the "everyone loves the Exile" triangle of Atris, Visas and Brianna.

Shame I have to take the Disciple as a girl, though, he makes me want to punch things. Preferrably with Brianna doing the punching. As a party member. Instead of Disciple.

In short? I don't listen to the "canon" because it implies that my character was a completely saintly lightsider, and possibly also the wrong gender.

P.S. Disciple is rubbish.
patient_zero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
Meowster

Current Game: New Vegas/KotOR
^
I agree with the above.

Female Dark Side Revan(LS till Rakatan Temple), and Ambigious Male Exile.
Meowster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #15
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

No doubt, lightside and darkside, male and female all have their own charms in each game, but does anyone else notice that the dialogue doesn't always match what you choose (in terms of gender)?

Just recently, I was going through the scene with Mandalore discussing Revan in TSL, and in one dialogue sequence, he referred to Revan as 'she' after Revan had been set to male!

Also, in K1, if you talk to Canderous about the Mandalorian Wars before the plot twist, even if you play as female, Revan is still referred to as 'he'.

Annoying...but maybe Canderous is just...confused!

Even the developers don't want to stick to canon!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:02 AM   #16
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Since they [the people at Lucasarts] don't treat the KOTOR canon like actual canon, it doesn't sway my style of playing the game.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2008, 12:25 AM   #17
Ascendant_Justice
Rookie

Current Game: Half Life 2 pending
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW01 View Post
Also, in K1, if you talk to Canderous about the Mandalorian Wars before the plot twist, even if you play as female, Revan is still referred to as 'he'.

Annoying...but maybe Canderous is just...confused!
That's likely because Revan was completely unidentifiable to the Mandalorians. I don't think any of them, with the exception of Mandalore the Ultimate (who was killed by Revan, anyway) ever really encountered h(im/er) face to face . Since Revan could only be identified through hearing his/her voice, most of the Mandalorians probably just assumed Revan was a male. Maybe that can help it be less annoying? It is a convenient reason to slash off some voice acting time, though .

Anyway, I am influenced by canon. I'm a guy, and I pretty much always choose a male character on any game just because it's easier to relate to the character for me. So, I played as a male even before I learned KotOR's canon details. I also generally lean towards the light side, though not too far. That said, I've been pretty close to canon even without knowing it, with the exception of my first playthrough where the "Revelation" and Bastila's subsequent defiance on the Temple were enough to sway me to follow her.

The whole male playing male thing caused me to play a male on both of my TSL playthroughs too, though. Knowing canon is enough to make me play as a female, next time. Not until I buy TSL for pc after Team Gizka finishes though.
Ascendant_Justice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2008, 01:24 AM   #18
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH ON PIE 14 View Post
Except for the fact that you are willingly accepting the Disciple, the most annoying party member in the KOTOR universe
I agree with your comments on Disciple, but I still play as a female. I just never play TSL without stoffe's "HANDMAIDEN PARTY MEMBER OPTION FOR FEMALE EXILES." It gets rid of Disciple without me having to stare at a man's butt while playing the game. I’m trying to play the game right now on the 360 and I’m having a tough time putting up with Disciple. I may have to go back to the PC.

I play as a female PC and canon means nothing to me in a RPG game.

now set back and wait for Jae's canon cut and paste

You will never get that... Jae is to awesome to use cut and paste! She types it all from memory! -RH

Last edited by RedHawke; 08-06-2008 at 01:41 AM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2008, 01:44 AM   #19
General LiWar

considering i played through b4 canon was no... but i like to play through games with all the options anyways so sooner or later i'll hit up the canon path

General LiWar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #20
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Let me ask the question this way - if you could only play the game once, would you sway toward the canon route?

Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #21
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Let me ask the question this way - if you could only play the game once, would you sway toward the canon route?
Not likely. To me a role-playing game is about choices. Why purchase an RPG and then follow a canonized walk through? I may as well just purchase a FPS. My PC may be the canonized version (TSL- Lightside/Female), but I assure you that is just a coincidence as my Revan is also Lightside/Female
Old 08-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #22
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Not likely. To me a role-playing game is about choices. Why purchase an RPG and then follow a canonized walk through? I may as well just purchase a FPS.
Agreed. To paraphrase Sinatra, I do it my way!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #23
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Not likely. To me a role-playing game is about choices. Why purchase an RPG and then follow a canonized walk through?
To me the story is the most important part of the game. If the canon version has the best story, that's what I want to experience (if I only have 1 playthrough). Just my preference.

Additionally, the LS/DS, male/female choice is only a small part of all the choices you have in dialogue during the game, plus all your choices of skills to learn, classes to choose between, weapons to use, etc. It's still vastly different than a FPS if you are influenced by canon to choose LS Male/LS Female.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #24
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Well, there is no...such real thing as canon. The only reason they needed to call Revan a LS male of The Exile a LS Female were some paragraphs about them in source books.

For example, a discription of T3 for the Droid Source book held a sentence that described T3 as 'The exile her droid was an excellent companion.'

And, the Revan from the Kotor comics still has his cap moved over his head. We don't know if he's male or female.
-----------

But to answer your question; I use LS male for K1 yes...but just because I *can't* play DS and I can identify myself better with my own gender (no hard feelings, ladies ).
Same goes for TSL...LS male again...

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #25
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
Well, there is no...such real thing as canon.
Agreed - I attempted to caveat that in my OP by stating "alleged canon".

Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #26
General LiWar

Quote:
not usually. My first time through a game, i play as if the character was me, male and kind of grayish LS. I guess i sort of hit Revan's canon but not the Exile.

General LiWar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #27
Ascendant_Justice
Rookie

If I was restricted to one playthrough, I would play the way I want to play, like General LiWar there. As I said though, that's typically pretty close to canon. When it comes to canon, I care more about getting the same ultimate results than I do about giving Sharina Fizark 700 credits or something just because it's the extreme light side option. Bottom line: As long as the Republic destroys the Star Forge and my Revan is a male, it's close enough for me. Trying to stick to canon isn't going to stop me from doing the Genoharadan assassinations or anything.

edit: (to mimartin) Does TSL run correctly on the 360? I tried starting a KotOR game on my 360 on two separate occasions, and, both times, it had constant lag. I've heard it just doesn't emulate right on the 360. I've never tried TSL though.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #28
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendant_Justice View Post
When it comes to canon, I care more about getting the same ultimate results than I do about giving Sharina Fizark 700 credits or something just because it's the extreme light side option. Bottom line: As long as the Republic destroys the Star Forge and my Revan is a male, it's close enough for me. Trying to stick to canon isn't going to stop me from doing the Genoharadan assassinations or anything.
That's just about how I see it too.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #29
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendant_Justice View Post
edit: (to mimartin) Does TSL run correctly on the 360? I tried starting a KotOR game on my 360 on two separate occasions, and, both times, it had constant lag. I've heard it just doesn't emulate right on the 360. I've never tried TSL though.
I complained about this in another thread and someone said it was working fine for them now. So I tried KOTOR first and it was 100% better than the last time I tried it (before Mass Effect came out). TSL seem to work even better than KOTOR. Still the sound is a little off in some places, but I can live with it.

Besure to download the updates.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #30
Ascendant_Justice
Rookie

Oh, well that's good. Pretty crappy timing now, though, seeing as how I finally bought KotOR for pc. I'll be doing the same for TSL. Anxiously awaiting Team Gizka.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #31
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Anyone know a good place to buy K1 for PC? I have TSL already.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #32
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Don't know where, but you can also keep an eye out for Star Wars: The Best of PC as it includes Empire at War, Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars Battlefront and Republic Commando. I purchased it because KOTOR is on a DVD instead of CDs. I also found it on the cheap.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:35 AM   #33
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Thanks mimartin. I will definitely look out for that. Just a cursory search yielded some results, in the $35-$40 range. Is that about what you paid? If you got it for cheaper, can you direct me to your source?

Old 08-07-2008, 12:38 AM   #34
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
I had a Female Revan and Female Exile the first times through.

I preferred the Male Revan I preferred the Female Exile

All lightsiders (dull)
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2008, 03:39 AM   #35
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
eBay!

Better jump on it.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #36
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to go for mimartin's suggestion for the Best of Star Wars PC version.

BTW, nice sig, Rev7.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #37
Ascendant_Justice
Rookie

nowai! Do eBay that's where I got mine.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #38
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I've only had one playthough of K1, and it was on Xbox, borrowed from a friend. I'd love to get the PC version, and I've been wanting to try out Jedi Knights too. The Best of Star Wars PC sounds like a good option to me. The only thing is I'm running Vista on my main computer so I'm sure that will cause problems. I do have a backup computer with XP tho, so I'll probably just use that.

I think I'll probably go DS on my next K1 playthrough, deviating from my canonical influence.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #39
JCarter426

I don't have it myself, but I've heard that Best of PC works fine on Vista.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #40
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
I don't have it myself, but I've heard that Best of PC works fine on Vista.
I understand you are only relaying hearsay, so I hate to contradict you, but in the interest of keeping someone from buying another copy with false hope let me say this is not true. It is still extremely difficult to play KOTOR on Vista with the Best of PC version.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > Canon