lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Reasons why the Lightsaber Needs to be Made Respectable
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-19-2001, 06:46 AM   #241
Ben_Walker
Smartass

The lightsaber was my first weapon of chooice in the levels of Jedi knight when you get to the planet of the Valley of the Jedi.

- You fight 4 dark Jedi on that planet.

- Good for severing limps off stormtroopers and Imperial personal.

- Deflect blaster bolts.

- Slice's and desices those flying retail things.

Remember the breeze across your face
Remember the swaying sleeves in the wind
Remember the grains of sand beneath your feet
between your toes
Remember the freedom in the never ending waves

Remember I'll be at the beach.

Jedi Academy - Renaissance
Ben_Walker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2001, 09:46 AM   #242
ed_silvergun

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Krayt Tion:
<STRONG>From day one I've been pushing for a mode that will allow FF Jedi armed only with a Saber to take on NF gunners.

What's artificial is not giving us a set way to enact such a common Star Wars movie scenario where force-less humans or other species try their hand against a Jedi armed only with his saber.</STRONG>
I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vagabond:
<STRONG>as you've suggested, there should be customizable options available for MP games.</STRONG>
I agree 100% there, too, and I think Vagabond's list is pretty comprehensive.

Quote:
Originally posted by -WD- ToRMeNt:
<STRONG>I know people who use it arn't hardcore</STRONG>
I swear if one more person says the word "hardcore" in this thread, I'm gonna scream!

Galactic Plumberman - For All Your Liquid Needs
ed_silvergun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2001, 09:54 AM   #243
GonkH8er

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
man..... 10 pages.......

that's pretty...................hardcore

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
JediKnight.net JediKnightII.net
GonkH8er is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2001, 10:26 AM   #244
ed_silvergun

*Chops GonkH8er up into bite-size pieces*

Galactic Plumberman - For All Your Liquid Needs
ed_silvergun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2001, 10:37 AM   #245
Lucky

lol.

kb, u aint gettin it, the point is to weaken the guns and give em limitations that make it easier to use the saber to kill the person using em until the saber is as useful as the gun.

It's not impossible, and it *needs* to be done, otherwise the saber won't have a whole heck of a lot goin for it.

Right now, if u can whack the majority of the projectiles out of the air, u can chase people down try'n to kill u with a gun. Might take some damage, but so long as the skill of makin a splash weapon explode is akin to the skill of whackin the shot in midair, its balanced.

In most fps's, u can't run backwards as fast as u can forewards, so u already have a speed advantage. This was true in JK, but the netcode made it impossible to take advantage of that, not so in client/server.

In a straight dm, without force, I'm not seeing a problem with a weakened concussion rifle, so long as u can thwack everything else out of the air, and the conc is weakened to the point of balance.

Lucky

PS:
Lucky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2001, 11:17 AM   #246
Vagabond

Here's what bugs me:

1. The lightsaber is a melee weapon.
2. The lightsaber is not a ranged weapon.
3. Excluding the Force, the guy with the lightsaber is going to lose against the guy with the gun.
4. However, with the Force, the guy with the lightsaber can kick the hell out of the guy with the gun.

The above makes perfect sense to me, so again, this all seems like a non-issue to me. Why don't we just wait for the game before getting our pannies all tied up in a wad?

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: Vagabond ]
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2001, 12:03 PM   #247
KillerBee

if you balance the guns down to that, then gunners will hate the game cause the guns will feel like sh1t.. (and sabres should not be able in my mind to block rails or thermal dets, thats what force throw/push is for)
a class system would make it so the weapons could feel nice a beefy, and the sabre could still be useful.
KillerBee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2001, 12:16 PM   #248
GonkH8er

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
sorry ed. it had to be done

GonkH8er-
Ian@lfnetwork.com
JediKnight.net JediKnightII.net
GonkH8er is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2001, 01:04 PM   #249
WD_ToRMeNt

First off, look at the E3 vid. I don't think that the saber will have a one hit one kill potential (at least on on body hits, head shot maybe). Doesn't matter, how much damaged it does if you can't hit anything.

Look, the saber isn't a ranged weapon, not unless you throw it. Even if you do throw your saber, it won't have splash damage, it looks fairly slow and predictable, must get a direct hit to work, and leaves you really vulnerable. That is why I don't think It'll work that well in MP. It just won't do much to some one who circles + strafes + jumps. It could POSSIBLEY if there was some type of targeting/guidance system (think of grip or pull in JK), but it doesn't look that way.

Seriously, if you don't want to play with guns, play on a "saber only" server. I'm sure there will be plenty out there.

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: -WD- ToRMeNt ]
WD_ToRMeNt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2001, 01:13 PM   #250
Finalnight

Won't GHOUL II handle location based damage for the lightsaber?

"ITS JUST A DUAL LIGHTSABER SKIN YOU NEWBIES!!!"- me, Jedi Knight on the zone.
Finalnight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2001, 01:32 PM   #251
KillerBee

You can guide the sabre I believe, like the missiles from hl dm.

I never actually noticed a difference in speeds in jk, or quake games between running backwards and forwards.. if there is one its not exploitable.. I know my good ole tactic of running backwards when gaunlet v gaunleting people in q3 works fine..

which if I had even a mg I could cut the other guy to peices..(specially as you can bunny hop backwards)
Old 08-19-2001, 02:00 PM   #252
Syndrix

I'd li

Genius is limited, unfortunately stupidity is not thus so.
Syndrix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2001, 03:14 PM   #253
Aristotle

Testing reply for page 11...
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2001, 03:29 PM   #254
KillerBee

<confused>
I can't seem to view the last page of the thread..
Old 08-19-2001, 03:50 PM   #255
Tre Lightshadow

To bring more balance to the game, maybe the gunners, or other characters that were NF, could, instead of allocating stars to Force powers, allocate them to diffrent equipment. Like infrared goggles, or a jetpack which produces short fuel bursts, which would be equal to Force Jump.

"I do not kill, I do not destroy, unless need be. I am here to preserve life, if anyone should stand in my way, let them show themselves."
Tre Lightshadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2001, 06:25 PM   #256
donner

I figure the lightsaber worked just as well as it needed to. At long range, I could deflect the concussion rifle shots back or just dodge them (hopefully without a wall behind me!) For close range, a bit of force pull and my opponent was unarmed, and I could slice them up as I please. If you set up your keyboard right, you can dodge and force-pull on your opponent at the same time.

The only weapons that took me out consistantly at range were a) from attackers I didn't know about or b) from the seeking rail shots for the rail detonator. And if your opponent is sniping near a cliff edge, a little "push" is all they need in MotS.

My standard tactics were to use force invisibility and force sight most of the time. With invisibility I could hide from anyone without sight (at least long enough to get a good attack or two in) and with force sight I could find anyone, anywhere. (That over-the-screen map was really handy for that!)
donner is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Reasons why the Lightsaber Needs to be Made Respectable