lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Acrobatics in Outcast?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-30-2001, 01:33 AM   #41
matt--
Network Un-exploder

LFN Staff Member Notable contributor 
I like that idea.

LFNetwork and LucasForums.com
matt at lfnetwork dot com
matt-- is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2001, 01:48 AM   #42
Chewie_Rips

This is funny, and I refuse to get too far into the "debate", however since my last post, allot has been said. The most productive element of this converstaion( I try to exploit the possitves, on what may seem to be a negative situation) is that everyone posting, obviously are very passionate about JK and how to improve it for ALL players. I will never deabte someone's opinion, as it is there own..integrity is everything. Success, or winning, is a percpetion...never a fact, as we all choose what is fact for us and what it not...this makes you unique...In my personal OPINION, many good points were made from all people of this thread..

Torment noted that learning from better players helped him learn....excellent point.
It is not only the ability to be open to weakness, but the ability to accept your weakness that will make you stronger....but will all have or own perceptions of ourselves and what is weak and what is strong

Wanderer...with whom I agree with on many opinions, the idea of a more life-like aproach is a great concept, and I think there is some need for improvement with this....

SW is just a movie and JKO will be just a game, but all that we experiance in life as meaning....

No matter you preference of game or the style in which you play it...weither you win, or weither you loose...its your opinion that matters, as it you own....enjoy others thoughts,feelings, and perceptions, as you ultimatley make your own choices...integrity is everything!

Chewie_Rips
Chewie_Rips is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2001, 08:39 AM   #43
wardz

I dont wan't to sound spiteful or arrogant, but why is it that when a clan member starts posting it doesn't become a debate but more of an argument?

Now, I don't want to make sweeping statements as that would be unfair on the majority of people\clan members in here, but some people's attitudes really should change or they will find that people will NOT listen to what you are saying...

Its only a small minority but never the less, its rather disruptive and I don't want to sieve through these petty arguments to get to the interesting bits - Peoples thoughts, written in a constuctive way..

wardz

Welcome to JKII.Net.

Please keep sig size to a minimum : )
wardz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2001, 08:49 AM   #44
SnaKe

omg... i totally agree with most of you... Dodging is so elite in UT.. i was just thinking about that the other day when i was playing a game of JK, just if i could double tap and dodge it would be so elite... i dont think it should be to complicated like we've seen.. all this diaginol jumping and stuff.. rolling would be nice. but then if u double tap and hit up + L or R u still dodge in that direction like its so easy to do in UT. It would be so awesome if they used that in JK2. then maybe i'd play guns...

--SnaKe--

http://graphicsshop.tripod.com

SnaKe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2001, 03:17 PM   #45
Chewie_Rips

Good comments Wardz, and I agree. I agree with you that making blanket statements, with a " I'm better than you" attitude really is out of place here...and can motivate great members of this site to post elsewere, or move to another forum. That would be a shame...Theese forums are designed to share thoughts, to agree to dis-agree and ingage in constructive debates, by listening to everyones veiw points. A debate is never, and should never, become an argument..just enjoy peoples thoughts, learn from them and have fun....we are a community in here, people with the same admiration for this game.....if people want to be competitive, challenge others to games....great, just keep the trash talking and competitive attitudes in the game...

Oh, by the way, I have thought about the double-tapping method and I'm starting to think it may be better than my original thought of a designated button. My only concern was, I tend to be a grounded player, straffing, circling and moviing side to side allot...so I was concerned with double tapping accidently, as my fingers are always moving quick, and usually are on 2-3 buttons at a time....any feedback on this problem or keyboard+mouse users of UT....did this happen, as I do not play that game...any help would be great..as double tapping does make more since, the more I Listened to most of your thoughts.....

Chewie_Rips
Old 06-30-2001, 04:55 PM   #46
SnaKe

yes.. thats one thing that happens everyonce in awhile.. an accidental double tap. But its not so common...

--SnaKe--

http://graphicsshop.tripod.com

SnaKe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2001, 05:27 PM   #47
DeathBoLT

hehe its the worse when u're trying to edge up on some small space and oops, tap strafed a little to quickly off ya go into the lava or a mile high drop..

#nar
irc.enterthegame
#nar.. THE channel for Jedi Knight 2 players
DeathBoLT is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2001, 06:05 PM   #48
Chewie_Rips

Thanks for the feedback...we'll hopefully both options will be avaiable to try, so we can decided which will work best...Also, for those of you that do not have or get PC Gamer, there is a small article about JKO. Here is sentence taken from the article:
" Sabers blur just like in the films, and you'll dodge and flip like memebers of Cirque du Solie as you reprise your roll as Kyle Katarn".....looks like they have plans to implement what we have discussed in this thread......nice!

Chewie_Rips
Old 07-01-2001, 10:19 AM   #49
mattpitt

EXcellent! You are learning well. I saw the flips and acrobatics made for obi wean on the pc. i hope they do include some cos it looked wicked. But they will either do it or not as i have told them 'Do or do not, there is no try'.
mattpitt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2001, 02:29 PM   #50
Obi Kwan

I was all set to add a reply as i read the first 10 or so posts on this thread, but then it got very ugly. Anyway, getting back to the main topic, (and I know I've mentioned this before) but an easy way to create a new level in sabre dueling which would include acrobatics and new sabre moves would be a targeting system. The only problem is what happens when more than two people are involved in combat? I am not aware of any game that handles this problem (that also uses targeting). But, it would definately be interesting.

Thats my Hammond XTP aka The All-Nite Groove Machine
Obi Kwan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2001, 02:55 PM   #51
The Wanderer

I'm interested in this targeting idea, I have a GREAT example of a game that effectivly used a targeting system for sword fighting. Legend of Zelda: The Orcania of Time.

you could press a button and lock on to a target, easily straff in circles around it merely by pressing left or right (and you didn't straff excessivly fast either), and pressing the lock on button again would disengage the lock.

You also had the option to only be locked on while holding down the button, and it would dissengage whenever you let go. (although I'm not so sure that second option would work as well with a mouse and keyeboard)

That game didn't have enough sword fights, but when you did it worked quite well. there was a block button you held down to block, and you couldn't attack while blocking.

I think any kind of a system other than auto blocking would be nice for saber battles in JK. It'll add SOME degree of skill to things. The battles in JK were a lot of straffing around to hit a person in a spot where he couldn't auto block, I hated that. There was also a lot of running around and randomly double swinging. hardly worthy of such an elegant and precise weapon as a lightsaber.

"Weeeeeeee!!! I just accidentally BLOOOOOOOOOOWED up the droid command ship, oopsie! he he he, say whatever happened to those other 100 driod command ships we saw orbiting the planet in the begining of the movie??? oopsie!!!! he he he"

-Anakin Skywalker (future Dark Lord of the Sith)
The Wanderer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2001, 05:29 PM   #52
Obi Kwan

the problem with a "zelda" type locking system for Outcast is the fact that you can only engage combat with one enemy at a time! How many times were you knocked by one of those skeleton guys in the field while trying to ward off another? and even if you made the AI have the enemies "wait their turn", no one in multiplayer would do that. Are there any games that use a different type of targeting system that accomodates more than one enemy?

Thats my Hammond XTP aka The All-Nite Groove Machine
Obi Kwan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2001, 09:48 PM   #53
SlowbieOne

I think the lock-on thing would cause problems. Besides, with a mouse you can instantly lock-on anything you want. I also think it would slow the speed of gameplay down.
SlowbieOne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2001, 03:35 PM   #54
Chewie_Rips

I just like the fact that Zelda was mentioned....the best series of console games ever made!!!( I bought an N64 just for Zelda...lol..) Anyway, although the targeting system, overall, worked well in Zelda, I do not think it would work in Jedi...for the obvious reasons of fighting multiple enimies. Maybe both options, to target when fighting one Stormie, or Jedi at a time. Then for multiple enimies, you could just option to not target,etc. Also, I do think there should be no auto-blocking, as this would be a great feature to have as a function based method, were the player is responsible for blocking, or not blocking....

Chewie_Rips
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Acrobatics in Outcast?